Desktop version
Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).
Post a reply

No autosave, just having a whinge

Fri 01 Nov, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm pissed off just now, as I spent some time writing a track report, then as I pressed to have it submitted, it completely disappeared.
The screen jumped to the login page ( I have my setting to auto login when i visit the site, so I don't why it asked me to do this) and then it was nowhere to be found, back one page did nothing. I can't find it on history etc

Does anyone know how to retrieve the piece I wrote?

I guess I have learned the hard way that there is no auto save.......

I need a hug
Or maybe it's time go pour a glass of wine

Re: No autosave, just having a whinge

Fri 01 Nov, 2013 4:52 pm

For a long trip report including photos - I write it out in a text editor and then cut and paste.
Comes from harsh experience :(

Fri 01 Nov, 2013 5:08 pm

Makes me feel slightly better that I'm not the only one

Now I have to muster up the enthusiasm to write it all again

Fri 01 Nov, 2013 5:55 pm

Have a glass of Bordeaux red!

One thing that's worth doing during the write up is to regularly select-all and copy. No need to do it in a text editor. This way the OS will maintain a copy for you in its active memory. Of course, you'll still lose it if there's a system crash.

Fri 01 Nov, 2013 9:52 pm

Same thing here, also drops all the text when I'm trying to load a picture?

Sat 02 Nov, 2013 6:46 am

Also worth noting that the back button can retrieve what you wrote in some browsers but not in others.

Sun 03 Nov, 2013 11:59 am

I use this addon now after running into the same problem on various sites across the web.
http://getlazarus.com/

Mon 04 Nov, 2013 8:00 pm

I feel the pain. I am in the habit of copying all before submitting. The back button has saved me a few times as well.
I will add a cool auto save feature to the wish list - but honestly it will be a fair way down the list at this stage sorry.

Thanks for sharing the pain.

Matt :)

Mon 04 Nov, 2013 8:04 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Also worth noting that the back button can retrieve what you wrote in some browsers but not in others.

I have successfully used the "back" button on more than one occasion to recover information.
I am now in the habit of Control A Control C (Select all, copy to clipboard) before posting when I have done more than a little typing.

Mon 04 Nov, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks Matt, keep up the good work.

Tue 28 Jan, 2014 9:57 am

Robert H wrote:I use this addon now after running into the same problem on various sites across the web.
http://getlazarus.com/

Thanks for the link Robert, works a treat!
Post a reply