Desktop version
Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.

Forum rules

TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.
Post a reply

Re: PLB/Sat Phone....too many choices!

Thu 30 May, 2024 2:35 pm

If SAR had this tech - https://www.centum-rt.com/product/lifeseeker/ then we'd only need a phone (that has some charge).

A new tool called Lifeseeker could help search and rescue teams find missing people in minutes using their cellphones. The technology acts as a miniature cellphone tower, allowing rescuers to pinpoint cellphone locations within a 3-mile radius, significantly improving the efficiency and success rate of search missions in challenging terrains.

Thu 30 May, 2024 4:00 pm

^^^
Most cell phones have GPS .. that would get a 10 meter radius, not 3 km

-----------
Off topic .. looks like I'm updating (not upgrading) from my S7 cell phone to an S20 .. reason .. 5G compatibility. The old phone is fine and I'd go on using it for years. But it does not do 5G and 4G is switching off so ...

Fri 31 May, 2024 2:53 pm

Warin wrote:Most cell phones have GPS .. that would get a 10 meter radius, not 3 km

This technology is for use by Search & Rescue when there is no phone tower close by. It is a portable phone tower that can be installed on a helicopter. So that when the chopper flies over the (signal-less) phone it provides it with a 4G signal. And it can therefore locate the (previously useless) phone to within 3 km.

A cell phone with a GPS is useless to an immobile person if there is no 4G signal.

Mon 03 Jun, 2024 9:20 am

keithj wrote:
Warin wrote:Most cell phones have GPS .. that would get a 10 meter radius, not 3 km

This technology is for use by Search & Rescue when there is no phone tower close by. It is a portable phone tower that can be installed on a helicopter. So that when the chopper flies over the (signal-less) phone it provides it with a 4G signal. And it can therefore locate the (previously useless) phone to within 3 km.

A cell phone with a GPS is useless to an immobile person if there is no 4G signal.
Unless you have a newish iPhone that has an emergency satellite function.

Fri 21 Jun, 2024 3:24 pm

"Most cell phones have GPS .. that would get a 10 meter radius, not 3 km"

The 3km refers to the distance at which a phone call can be made between hiker to helicopter/plane/vehicle - once the call is connected, you can tell them exactly where you are (or at least as best as you know), with detailed information like injuries, present threats, number in party etc.

I have recently purchased an Ulefone Armor 23 which has satellite connectivity built in - unfortunately the service provider, Bullitt (https://bullitt.com/en-gb/) is not yet operational in Australia, but has announced connectivity in 2024. It uses Inmarsat and Echostar satellites which are geostationary, rather than Low Earth Orbit sats used by Apple. Plans are relatively cheap (at least they are in the North America and Europe), with 10 Euros a month for SOS and 80 text messages in and out. As I am currently unable to use it, I can give no recommendations or insights, but I'm hoping I will be able to try it before the end of the year. There will probably be many other services like this entering the market in the near future.

Skibug
Post a reply