Winter trousers

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Winter trousers

Postby walkinTas » Sat 23 May, 2009 12:57 pm

I'm looking to buy some new winter gear (above the snowline) and I'm wondering what to do about the lower end of the body. Should I go with the thermals and light weight walking trousers and spend my money on good wet weather gear - outer shell? Will that be warm enough? Or is there a snow-boarding style of trousers that is warmer, waterproof and still light enough to walk in?

What is best? What do you guys wear in winter?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Winter trousers

Postby blacksheep » Sat 23 May, 2009 3:31 pm

i wear these, http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gea ... t5bgvE5sk= unless the rain is really heavy or the wind chill is severe they are ideal ... and I'm not suggesting them because I have an interest in Macpac, these are just a good bit of gear.
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 24 May, 2009 4:34 pm

Blacksheep... would you please be able to add a bit more information to your post - ideally enough to help them decide whether to follow the link or not (as per forum rules). So just a description of what you wear and the link as an example. :-)

I usually wear merino thermals (with shorts) when walking in the cold, and then home-made polarfleece trousers over the top when it gets cold around camp (and then waterproofs over that if necessary to stop the wind and/or rain).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby walkinTas » Mon 25 May, 2009 12:05 pm

blacksheep wrote:i wear these, http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gear-and-clothing/mens-clothing/mens-soft-shell/nemesis-pants.html unless the rain is really heavy or the wind chill is severe they are ideal ... and I'm not suggesting them because I have an interest in Macpac, these are just a good bit of gear.

Thanks blacksheep, your link works when I remove everything after the question mark. :). Are these waterproof or do you still need a waterproof shell?

I have seen a variety of this sort of thing for sale and wondered if anyone is actually wearing anything like this when they walk. I imagine that many are like Nik (thanks Nik) and wear their thermals with a waterproof layer, and maybe another warmer layer if needs be. This has been my approach to winter too, but I'm tempted to try some of the modern fancy pants.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Mon 25 May, 2009 12:46 pm

No, they are not water proof,they are really dense weave with a DWR outer and a brushed back for warmth. The repel a shower and block most of the wind...like most soft-shell ideas they are the best choice for 80% of conditions... when it really turns ugly you want something that has is waterproof though.
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby loric » Mon 25 May, 2009 1:49 pm

I wear these.
They: keep me warm, seem to deter mosquitoes, attract the attention of S&R, repel water and repel women.

Ohh... now i know why my wife bought them for me...
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby walkinTas » Mon 25 May, 2009 8:15 pm

blacksheep wrote:No, they are not water proof,they are really dense weave with a DWR outer and a brushed back for warmth.

Are any of the snow-boarding/adventure pants waterproof?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Macca81 » Mon 25 May, 2009 8:44 pm

walkinTas wrote:
blacksheep wrote:No, they are not water proof,they are really dense weave with a DWR outer and a brushed back for warmth.

Are any of the snow-boarding/adventure pants waterproof?

yes, every pair of snowboarding pants iv worn have been waterproof. id assume most if not all of them are waterproof
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby walkinTas » Mon 25 May, 2009 9:07 pm

Macca81 wrote:every pair of snowboarding pants iv worn have been waterproof.
    Thanks Macca
...And are any of them suitable for bushwalking?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Macca81 » Tue 26 May, 2009 8:04 pm

some are yeah, couldnt give you a particular style, its been a few years since i have been near a snowfield, but if you have a look in any of the ski shops you would likely find something that would do the job for you fairly quickly
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby walkinTas » Tue 26 May, 2009 11:23 pm

Macca81 wrote:...but if you have a look in any of the ski shops you would likely find something...
You're right, I could just pop down to the shop! :wink: (And definitely will next time I'm in Melbourne.) But I was hoping to speed things up a bit with a bit of advice from the more experienced brethren. :D

Actually, we don't have lots of local ski shops (not that I know about anyhow). We do have a choice of outdoor shops that cater for bushwalkers, but they all pedal the over-trouser style of waterproof pants. I've looked around the web quite a bit and there are choices (like those that blacksheep mentioned), but so little info - I mean user reviews type info - and hard to work out if they are waterproof and comfortable. I'm after a comfortable (don't chafe when you walk in them), robust, light-weight, waterproof, winter trouser. That's why I started thinking that snowboarders being fashion conscious and all that, might just wear something more like a pair of trousers and less like the normal nylon or plastic sake bags sold as waterproof pants. So if you know of any, a few pictures - links would be appreciated! :mrgreen:
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Area54 » Wed 27 May, 2009 5:12 am

Ive used a pair of Gore Bike Wear Alp X pants for years, for the wet weather riding and winter duties, just brilliant:

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellit ... 4716578760

They are mesh lined, reinforced knee and crotch gusset for active use (but no cycling chamois), along with the rest of the guff on the link.

Combined with either my macpac merinos or Netti superroubaix thermals, had them on several trips to Sundown nat park (near girraween on the qld/nsw border) with a bitter westerly wind and -4 static temps. Easily fit my quaggies over the top.
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby walkinTas » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 2:46 am

Area54 wrote:Ive used a pair of Gore Bike Wear Alp X pants for years, for the wet weather riding and winter duties, just brilliant: ...They are mesh lined, reinforced knee and crotch gusset for active use (but no cycling chamois), along with the rest of the guff on the link. Combined with either my macpac merinos or Netti superroubaix thermals...

Sounds very promising Area54. I really have to find something soon. I went walking a few days ago in light drizzle. Up top I wore my packlite jacket over a featherlite T-shirt. For bottoms I wore nylon waterproofs over featherlite trousers and wicking thermals. The featherlite trousers were soaked by the trapped sweat, wicked away from the skin be the thermals but trapped by the nylon waterproofs. I actually felt quite dry and warm, and was surprised just how wet the trousers were. Not a drama on this walk, but very undesirable if I'd been walking in snow or sub-zero temps. I've just gotta get something that breathes - and keeps me dry.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:45 am

walkinTas wrote: I've just gotta get something that breathes - and keeps me dry.

Does such a thing exist?
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Jun, 2009 7:38 pm

Only in our fantasies.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west