Yow(i)eeee!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Yow(i)eeee!

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 8:08 pm

To continue the subject from the not-quite-Lake-Meston thread:
Picked up a little package on Friday (two, but that's another topic). And as I had to spend the morning in Traralgon, I decided that Wonnongatta Moroka was the closest and best spot to find some snow in which to try things out. Of course, there was far less snow up there than usual for this time of year - the thaw's started early - but I found enough up past the Mount Lookout carpark.
So - the verdict on Yowie snowshoes?

1) Brett's right when he says the harness looks insanely complicated. But it's actually quite simple when you look at the instructions AND FOLLOW THEM PRECISELY. Took me five minutes to put the pair on the first time, and that's with readjusting everything twice to make sure they were right. And once fitted properly there's no slippage or other movement.
2) Had plenty of doubts about all the hype about walking style. But they're right: you can walk pretty well normally without any hassles. Backwards, sideways, turning, crossovers, a little hop, skip and jump . . . They look like you should trip over the curly front, but you don't. While my stride is a bit long for my height, it's also narrow and straight (no pigeon-toes or duck-footedness here), and the only adjustment I had to make was to swing the foot forward a little wider than usual. Took about ten minutes max to get used to it.
3) Running? Well, they said you could, so I had to try, didn't I? Just jogged along for 50 yds or so on a reasonably straight, flat section. No sweat (well, it was a little cool up there). Felt almost normal.
4) Effort? Little harder than walking on grassy ground in boots, most of the time. Easier sometimes. Hit a few patches of rotten snow and went in a bit, but otherwise they held me up beautifully.
5) Terrain? I went up hills and down them, straight and diagonally, contoured them. Handled it all without any hitches. They kick up a little snow at the back on the downhill, but it doesn't go any higher than calf level. Bit awkward if there's a lot of climbing over fallen trees. Crossed a few section of open ground, mainly snowgrass with a few small slightly boggy sections. That was easier than without the snowshoes - they flatten out the tussocky ground and keep you up off the worst of the wet stuff. You could cross sphagnum without doing much damage, even with the cleats in. I can't help wondering whether they'd work in typical Tassie mud . . .
6) Speed? Surprising. Went from the Lookout carpark up to the summit then south along the ridge to the little bluff above the Gorge and down to Kelly's Lane where the car was parked. About 3 1/4 hours all up. Which is probably how long it would take in boots without the snow (or the camera).
7) Efficiency? Did a 50yd section with the Yowies, took them off and walked back in boots - as much as possible stepping in the prints. And how deep were the prints?
Minimum depth of platform: 2mm. Maximum depth: 1 1/2 inches.
Minimum depth of boot: 1 inch. Maximum depth: 8 inches.
No contest. They work. No deep powder up there so can't vouch for that, but they work beautifully in everything else.

Any negatives? Well, no piece of gear is perfect.
1) Sizing. I wear a 6 1/2 - 7 wide women's boot. Although that means using the middle markers on the platform, I'd be surprised if a smaller boot could be secured properly as there wasn't any leeway. Definitely not for kids unless they're wearing skiboots.
2) The cleats do collect compacted snow/ice. You can feel the extra weight when this happens. But it is easily removed with a trekking/ski pole (if you've taken one with you). And you can do it with the shoes on.

To summarise - it pains me to agree with corby, but he's right: why buy an imported product when there's a high-quality locally owned and built option, designed for Australian conditions? I'd recommend them without hesitation.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Yow(i)eeee!

Postby flyfisher » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 10:02 pm

Yes we all liked them. Do you mind if I ask where and how much? :wink:

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 10:08 pm

Online. Standard price. Which includes postage.

I couldn't find anywhere that stocked them, so went directly to Yowie. It was quick - ordered them on Tuesday, they hit the local PO on Thursday.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby corvus » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 10:17 pm

[quote = scavenger

To summarise - it pains me to agree with corby, but he's right: why buy an imported product when there's a high-quality locally owned and built option, designed for Australian conditions? I'd recommend them without hesitation.[/quote]

Told you so :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 10:03 am

For those 'short of foot' (u s5/6) they can be rigged with a second lengthways strap.
Anyone who needs a pair for this winter would be advised to grab them soon, apparently it will be a while before another run happens :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby loric » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 5:49 pm

We've spent a few weeks up in the vic high country on snowshoes (30kg packs, 3-4 day hikes, covered 50+ km over snow over the trips, Bogong, Feathertop, Highplains).
We used Yowies, MSR Denalis and Crescent Moon Gold9s and each are very different.

MSR Denali
Pros: Durable, can walk on mud/rock, good traction on ice and steep slopes
Cons: Solid pivot twists unnervingly on uneven ground, clunky feel.

Yowies
Pros: LIGHT! can walk on mud/rock, easy to step backwards, best for glissading.
Cons: Lack of pivot makes steep ascents hard. Poorest crampon of all and won't grip well on really steep ups or downs.
Very hard to kick steps in on ice crust slopes. Very wide which makes traverses hard on knees. Velcro ices up and clips will freeze solid (hard to deal with in multiple days below -4)
Crampon will ball with snow easily and become a bit annoying. Nowhere near the flotation of the hinged shoes.

Crescent Moon Gold9s
Pros: Best harness system by a long shot. Shoes can be donned/removed in seconds. Crampon also the best and works well on steep iced slopes. You can use 'normal' crampon technique, piolet etc due to the toe claws.
Flexible pivot is easier on the knees on traverses. Best flotation of the three. (the difference is sinking to ankle vs sinking to knee depth in the snow).
Fabric deck is quieter on snow. Shape makes for easiest walking
Cons: Too freakin dear...

My point being that Yowies are great for flats and around camp. They are also really good in patchy snow as you will comfortably walk over mud/rock.
They are not good over steep terrain and you won't get the crampon function on the steeps. Also not too good with big packs.

We ended up purchasing the Crescent Moons due to their harness and shape. Because they can be worn/taken off in seconds, whenever we came to patchy areas we simply took em off.
The crampon was also the most aggressive and best for the steeps as you can toe-climb like with regular crampons. Over long km sections they are also the comfiest to walk with.

Horses for courses... if i HAD to carry shoes over the OT - the Yowies would be my pick, but then again maybe you'd be best off with shoe chains because IMO Yowies don't work THAT well as snowshoes...and if you're walking over mud/rock you don't need snowshoes...and if normal snow postholing is calf deep, Yowies won't help that much anyway...

They are a great product tho within their limits - and any snowshoeing is FUN!
I wouldn't use them on steeps as they are not so great...
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 6:57 pm

Crescent Moon Gold9s
G'day ,
What did you pay for them and where did you get them from please.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 7:01 pm

flyfisher wrote:Yes we all liked them. Do you mind if I ask where and how much? :wink:

ff

FF,
You can get them direct on line for $299.00 freight included or Check out your MD store I know the one up here had a pair that he would sell for around $267.00.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 7:38 pm

The 'tubbs' they once sold here had the fabric deck. i used them once and remember thinking that they seemed fragile for use here (patchy snow n all) Have been holding back on the Kahtoolas for the same reason but may still try them. there are many brands (especially) from the US. Sierra have a couple on sale most times... I have noticed the above probs with the Yowies (Though expect that other brands also have more Cons when put to the sort of use they are likely to get (here)?). The Yowies Are light to carry....
Last edited by Nuts on Tue 08 Sep, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 8:11 pm

Been using Yowies since they were released in most types of Tassie snow and my only complaint is the ice ball in the Cleats which can be knocked off with a hike pole or a bit of stick, as to icing of the Velcro and buckles my answer is to ensure the Velcro is correctly attached in the first place and if you have iced buckles of a morning pour water over them prior to fitting same with the Velcro.
Not really tried them on big steep slopes but had plenty of grip otherwise nor have I had a problem in deep snow with post holeing, (don't do 30kg packs any more)big plus for me is they are 100% Australian owned and made , cheaper and lighter than most imports.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby loric » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 10:54 pm

corvus wrote:Crescent Moon Gold9s
G'day ,
What did you pay for them and where did you get them from please.
c

http://www.wildernesssports.com.au/ Dealt with Rob, he's a nice fella who has a fair bit of experience in this snow stuff.
I got em for $400 delivered to Melb. If you fancy a trip to NSW, he hires all the models out - so can try em all!

Yeah - the weight is the biggest positive for the yowies - esp if you've a big walk in. Oz made is nice too.
The buckle freezes are a massive PITA. When you're out for 3 days and the top temp is -4, the hot water trick doesn't work so well.
Removing the overmitts to fiddle with buckles....frozen crunchy straps...
Nah, i prefer the CM Gold9s - fully mitted and still a 5 sec job to get them on - and then better grip and easier walking.

Snow balling under cleats can be lessened with the use of silicone spray, but the effect wears off after 20 or so kms.

I gotta figure out how to reduce the winter pack weight but can't see how. Snow shovel, axe/whippet, full tent, sh!tloads of fuel (and food)...

One thing i neglected to mention is that the CM9 is a fixed rotation and the Msr a free rotation. Fixed is easier to backstep (not as easy as yowie tho).
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 09 Sep, 2009 7:44 am

loric wrote:Horses for courses... if i HAD to carry shoes over the OT - the Yowies would be my pick, but then again maybe you'd be best off with shoe chains because IMO Yowies don't work THAT well as snowshoes...and if you're walking over mud/rock you don't need snowshoes...and if normal snow postholing is calf deep, Yowies won't help that much anyway...

Used Yowies a couple of times around the OT and they were just OK in patchy snow but on the sections where the track is tight or on duck boarding they were awkward (to say the least) - think this relates to all snow shoes as others in the group had different sorts.

Posted here already (I think) we are trying Microspikes on a trip down the Overland Track late next week - tested them in easy conditions at Falls Creek a couple of weeks ago and they worked well. Really stopped you sliding / slipping on ice and snow. NOT designed to use like full blown crampons.

Bit of a write up here: http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2009/08/m ... n-icy.html
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment