Problem with S2S Traveller 2

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Problem with S2S Traveller 2

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 25 Dec, 2020 1:17 pm

While I am happy enough with the concept and the way it will double and triple duty for me but I do have a small problem with it.
I'm a very restless sleeper and no matter what I do I have been waking up with cold shoulders because the down keeps shifting away from the top of the bag when used as a quilt.
I always thought they were a trifle understuffed but I'm wondering if adding the usual 10% to the factory level will be enough.
Also I'm wondering how much warmer it might be with a full 100 grams added.
I'd be getting this done by Remote Repairs because I simply can't sew this LW fabric well enough to feel good about my work.
Naturally it is the Large version.
So 10% or just 40 grams extra or the full 100 grams?
It won't classify as UL but it's light enough for my needs
WAG it would add 5C to the bags comfort limit.
Thoughts?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Problem with S2S Traveller 2

Postby oldpiscator » Fri 25 Dec, 2020 4:18 pm

Go the whole hog and get 100gm put in. Better than what if !
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 25 Dec, 2020 4:40 pm

oldpiscator wrote:Go the whole hog and get 100gm put in. Better than what if !

That is my current thinking, most of the cost will be the charge to open up and re-sew
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sat 26 Dec, 2020 7:32 am

I can't offer an opinion as to yay or nay without actually handling it, but more is not necessarily better, and I would be cautious about how much you add.

Maximising the benefit of the top up is desirable, but the risk of overfilling and losing drape, or the ability of the quilt or bag to fully conform to the occupants shape is real.

It should be practicable for you to drop it into Remote, so I would suggest taking it there uncompressed, laying it out there, and discussing it with them before you decide.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Dec, 2020 8:37 am

Going by one expert, at least for his own stuff, at 10-15% max OF then you should size up. He wont fill beyond the 15% OF last I checked.
Had some other stuff overfilled by other expert makers -they also said 10-15% max OF for their own stuff then you should go a size up.
I have a quilt rather than a hoodless sleeping bag such as this overfilled to the 10%-in 850FP Euro-no movement whatsoever. I had it done from the manufacture so I can't say whether it would have moved otherwise-horizontal baffles as well. I just wanted an extra couple of degrees warmth.
Going to depend on the size of the baffles I 'spose.
Just as an aside, the stock fill amount in 750 seems an 'ambitious' amount of down in that hoodless bag for the temp claims. Does it really work to about zero?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 26 Dec, 2020 12:05 pm

It worked for me to 5C when I wore my Uniqlo down UL parka Lamont so personally I think they are underfilled slightly. Last time I had a bag done by Remote their minimum sale was 100g of down, they may have changed over the last year
The EN rating is probably accurate in testing but not in actual use with a restless sleeper.
15% of 470g is 70g so I don't see that it would change much going to 100g if I'm not worried too much by that drape factor when using in an overbag/overquilt scenario, with 16 channels it's only about 7 grams per channel assuming I stay with 750FP down and not the 850
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Dec, 2020 2:13 pm

Sounds like 100gms is the go.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 09 Jan, 2021 7:08 pm

Just got an email back when the shop opened after the summer break.
$99- including 100g of 850FP down. Very doable and should fix the problem.
I did contact S2S and gave them some feedback on the issue but I don't think they will be changing the formula any time soon and for most people it wouldn't be/isn't a problem
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment