Anyone Gotten a Tent from Terra Rosa Gear?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Anyone Gotten a Tent from Terra Rosa Gear?

Postby walking_around » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 6:48 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has asked Evan from Terra Rosa to make them a tent and if so what's the design and how has it performed?

I'm doing a bit of a gear upgrade and wanting to support Australian businesses as much as possible!
walking_around
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Anyone Gotten a Tent from Terra Rosa Gear?

Postby FatCanyoner » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 7:47 pm

I've bought a few things from Terra Rosa Gear, but no tent. I've got a fly, bivy bags, and a quilt. Because everything is custom made, he's happy to tweak things to your needs. My fly is much better than others I've owned as a result.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby walking_around » Sun 10 Jan, 2021 8:38 pm

Hey FatCanyoner

Good to hear about another happy customer. It seems that most people are pretty happy with his work which is great considering he's the only Australian doing this sort of thing. That I know of...

Do you have the StarGazer fly? And if so how have you found the fly + tarpo combo? I thought the gap between the fly and tarp might get a bit drafty
walking_around
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby slparker » Mon 11 Jan, 2021 8:24 am

I had a mid from Terra Rosa, bought second hand on this site and sold on this site for the same price that I paid.

It was very well made and I now regret selling it. If I was in the market for a tarp he'd be the first one I'd look at.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:08 am

I just have a custom fly. I primarily operate in the Blue Mountains, so no need for a tent. My fly is similar in size to his Wilderness Tarp, but with a slight catenary curve on all the sides to help it pitch taut. I've absolutely loved it. Well made, good materials, lightweight.

Our standard gear is the fly and the Tyvek sleeping covers he does. My partner, who gets eaten by mozzies, has the one with the mesh hood, which works well. I just use the basic one with no hood. These covers are perfect for cutting the wind, protecting from light rain / spray. I like them because if the weather is good, I sleep under the stars, and they provide warmth by cutting the wind. They also protect from the dew. They allow you to get away with a lighter sleeping bag / quilt, while also making the tarp camping work better.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby walking_around » Mon 11 Jan, 2021 8:07 pm

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I'm interested to try out one of his 1P flies so I'll definitely hit him up when I'm ready to take the plunge!
walking_around
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment