Wilderness Reflex jacket - DWR treatment?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Wilderness Reflex jacket - DWR treatment?

Postby Strider » Sun 11 Aug, 2013 2:30 pm

I've just today acquired a Wilderness jacket than my father purchased somewhere around 1994-1996. It is the Reflex material and hasn't seen a lot of use and has never been used with a pack, although the DWR has become non-existent I presume due to its age. Does anyone know the best method and/or product for refreshing the DWR on Reflex garments?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilderness Reflex jacket - DWR treatment?

Postby wayno » Sun 11 Aug, 2013 2:34 pm

i'm not aware that its any different for any specific type of waterproof jacket, it's the nylon that needs the dwr treatment so it comes down to picking a treatment , ie nikwax or grangers and following the instructions....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Strider » Sun 11 Aug, 2013 2:37 pm

wayno wrote:i'm not aware that its any different for any specific type of waterproof jacket, it's the nylon that needs the dwr treatment so it comes down to picking a treatment , ie nikwax or grangers and following the instructions....

I knew you would be the first to reply - should have just sent you a PM! :lol:

I have heard some fabrics are better suited to wash-in treatments, whereas others are suited to spray-on treatments. Thoughts?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Sun 11 Aug, 2013 2:43 pm

not aware of that myself...
well macpac took over from wilderness... and macpac have the nikwax spray as recommended for treating reflex
http://www.macpac.co.nz/nikwax-11449.html

i vaguely remember blacksheep saying that reflex was just rebadged pertex something to do with pertex originally saying they wanted macpac not to use the pertex name....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Don03 » Sun 16 Jul, 2023 11:37 am

Bought Wilderness reflex mountaineering jacket new in 1995. Cost 1/4 of 2023 prices. Would get wet inside even when new. Those that bought goretex stayed dry.
Don03
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment