Hilleberg Akto (Solo tents for the taller people)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Hilleberg Akto (Solo tents for the taller people)

Postby Ent » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 2:55 pm

Contents deleted by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 11:47 am

" For extreme hot weather or snow there are much better tent designs"
Brett

Hilleberg now have an all mesh inner for the Akto, just in case you get a hot day down there...
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ent » Tue 08 Sep, 2009 3:48 pm

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SurferShane » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 2:32 pm

Brett – thanks heaps for the detailed review.

I am now seriously thinking this might be a good tent for my solo exploits especially considering that a mesh inner is now also available for three season use. The pitching the fly alone is also a good emergency shelter?

I was almost thinking of a Mountain Designs Neutrino 1 due the spaciousness. However, this tent is not four seasons rated, seems to be made of very lightweight (almost fragile) materials and has very little if any vestibule area.

I note my current solo tent is an old model Macpac Microlight . It’s not too bad, but I am hoping the Atko might give me a bit more headroom where I need it sitting up and a bit more security winter walking. The Microlight is also fairly short and I am happy to have the extra bit of room to keep me away from the walls. last Tassie walk I took my old 2.2 kg Fairdown Seige due the extra space and near four seasons capabilities.

If you don’t mind could I ask a few quick questions:

1. Like in the photo, you say that you can sit in the lotus position in the tent and cook without touching the roof. This should mean that someone about 5’ 9” could comfortably sit upright on their bottom on an Xped mat similar yours under the pole and have ample headroom? (I am not into extreme claustrophobia and more likely to avoid huts if carrying a comfortable tent!)

2. What do you think about using the tent without the footprint? It seems in your review that it is made of good materials that should not make this too much a drama?

3. Any more comments or issues arising from recent use?

Thanks heaps – Shane
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ent » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 2:54 pm

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SurferShane » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 3:01 pm

Brett - thanks mate I really appreciate your reply :D Shane
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Previous

Return to Equipment