My Tassie Gear List. 6kg make it 5kg. Improvements?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

My Tassie Gear List. 6kg make it 5kg. Improvements?

Postby Earthling » Sat 27 Sep, 2008 8:48 pm

Im in the process of going light weight and would appreciate suggestions on how to get the load down to 5kg.
Its a hard task though Im finding, especially with the luxury of a warm sleeping system plus a heavy camera.....
Thoughts?

Bag Liner Silk: REI 0.130 kg

Shelter: Tarptent Contrail 0.696

Sleeping bag: Western Mountaineering Badger MF 1.135

BackPack: Golite pinnacle 0.710

Matress: Gossamer Gear NightLight 3/4 Length Pad 0.230 *
GG Cut down thinlight insulation pad 0.120

Pots: 1L ALuminium 0.072
2L ALuminium 0.146
Lid for 1L 0.063

Current s/steel mug 0.1

Mid-layer: Karbon fleece top 0.262

SuperWarmJacket: Montbell U.L. Thermawrap Jacket 0.276

Water proof jacket: Montane Atomic DT Jacket 0.240

Water proof pants: Golite Reed pants 0.140

Head Torch: Petzl 0.078

Thongs or crocs: ?

Lighters: Bic & Matches 0.030

Compass: ?

1 x Thermal pants...maybe....... ?
1 x Thermal Tops Wear ?
1 x Pants Wear ?
2 x pairs of Socks Wear 1 pair ?
1 x pair of running/walking shoes Wear ?
Beanie: Homemade 0.067

Gloves: ?

Camera: Olympus sp-570 0.480
Spare batteries: 4 x 0.115

Camera Case: 0.170
Toiletries:
T/Brush: 0.019
T/Paste: Film cannister full ?
Soap: 0.030
Loofah: 0.005
Towel: 0.070
Insect repellant: ?
Toilet paper: 0.10
First Aid Kit: Bandaids, Strapping, blister stuff, needle and thread, safety pins.
Knife: Light small ?
Spoon: House Spoon 0.035
Waterproof Stuffsac Garbage bag x 3: ?
Duct Tape: ?
Wshing powder/liquid: ?

Stove: Homemade forge ?

2 LT Hydration Bladder: Platypus Hoser 2L 0.100

5.619 kg Without stove, pair of socks, gloves, 1st Aid kit...

If Ive inadvertenly left an important item out please let me know.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: My Tassie Gear List. 6kg make it 5kg. Improvements?

Postby alliecat » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:58 pm

That's a pretty good list. I can't help you make it lighter, but I can point out a few things missing (or things you've got a question mark after).

• Dry bags -definitely. You need some way to keep your sleeping bag and clothes dry. This is essential in Tassie. Garbage bags can be a bit easy to tear. If you use them, make sure you have at least 2 around your sleeping bag.
  • Thermal pants - definitely. You'll wear them walking if it's really cold, and sleep in them if it's just a bit cold.
  • Gloves - definitely. Thin, warm liners and waterproof outer shells are my recommendation.
  • Spare thermal top - in a dry bag. Also spare undies in a dry bag.
  • Duct tape - yes. And general repair kit too (for tent and clothes). Duct tape wont fix everything :)
  • Compass and maps - definitely. No exceptions to this.
  • PLB is a good idea too.

The only thing I think you could drop to save weight would be one of the cooking pots (do you really need two?) and the silk bag liner. I know most people use them, but I prefer to just sleep in clothes that I carry anyway. Oh, the playpus can be replaced by PET bottles for a few grams saving :)

Not sure what you mean by "homemade forge" under "stove" - but most of Tassie is "fuel stove only".

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm no light weight expert (my pack probably weighs in around 15 kg most of the time - not that I really know, I never actually weigh it) due to either luxury items, or not being able to afford expensive lighter items, or both.

However...

Do you really need two pots? I often take two pots, but if I was that worried about weight, that would be an obvious (small) thing to get rid of. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:20 pm

G'day Again Earthling ,
You will be surprised how much your items weigh looking at yours what can I say, sorry you don't like a smiley face and good luck on your proposed walk.
Last edited by corvus on Mon 29 Sep, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Natt » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:35 am

I can't help - but I can say thanks for the info on the gear you mention (clothes)

I am looking for lightweight jumper/parka options so that was great :D
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Earthling » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 7:02 am

alliecat wrote:That's a pretty good list. I can't help you make it lighter, but I can point out a few things missing (or things you've got a question mark after).

• Dry bags -definitely. You need some way to keep your sleeping bag and clothes dry. This is essential in Tassie. Garbage bags can be a bit easy to tear. If you use them, make sure you have at least 2 around your sleeping bag.
  • Thermal pants - definitely. You'll wear them walking if it's really cold, and sleep in them if it's just a bit cold.
  • Gloves - definitely. Thin, warm liners and waterproof outer shells are my recommendation.
  • Spare thermal top - in a dry bag. Also spare undies in a dry bag.
  • Duct tape - yes. And general repair kit too (for tent and clothes). Duct tape wont fix everything :)
  • Compass and maps - definitely. No exceptions to this.
  • PLB is a good idea too.

The only thing I think you could drop to save weight would be one of the cooking pots (do you really need two?) and the silk bag liner. I know most people use them, but I prefer to just sleep in clothes that I carry anyway. Oh, the playpus can be replaced by PET bottles for a few grams saving :)

Not sure what you mean by "homemade forge" under "stove" - but most of Tassie is "fuel stove only".

Cheers,
Alliecat

The question marks meant I havent decided which one to buy, so Im not sure of the weight, they are a definet as such though. I should have defined that better.
I usually use garbage bags and take 1 or two spare, depending on the length of the trip. Some breeds can be surprisingly tough.
Ive bumped around Scotland for a while (all seasons) and always managed to not need thermal pants, but Ive been thinking about the luxury lately.
Debating about the spare thermal top. These IceBreaker merinos are meant to be warm when wet...just have to put one to the test under the sprinkler.....
Gloves, D?Tape, compass, maps all are a defient just not sure which yet...Time to upgrade the ol trusty Silva.
Never used a PLB. Im pretty carefull about the situations I get myself in...however things can and do happen occasionally beyond our control....I know Ive read where guys take an epirb, phone, flares, uhf....extreme backup.....Whats the lightest, whilst still being able to call the cavalry?

Fuelstove only! Will have to look into that one a bit more.
Yeah Ive debated about the platypus/bottle gig..but I just love the convenience of that sucker over my shoulder, i keep so much better hydrated on warm active days.
The cooking pots again is a personal luxury :roll: , I may go down to one...would save 135grams...will pratice on that conversion.
Is the bedding combo overboard?
Could I get away with a lighter Bag for the predominant nights of the year and just go to bed wearing a bit more then nought, on the nights of -5 or colder...which Ive heard are rare?
I find the liners mean my bag doesnt become soiled as often, meaning I dont have to wash it as much, meaning the down lasts longer. So much easier to wash a liner when on a multi week/month trek then a whole bag.

Thoughts?

Yes the pots thing sonofabeach....will wean myself for a trial...just added luxury and ease....saves me having to wash a pot immediately to cook my custard for dessert...can have a pot going for a cuppa as Im eating my porridge in the morn...soak beans in the arvie/day stops and still able to have a cuppa.... :roll: :D I find it funny that Im debating over 135grams.... :D

Corvus thanks for the luck on the walks. Im not sure what you mean about surprised how things weight, but Ive always known my gear was heavy (my knees will attest to that), but this time I actually weighed individually all of my usual gear and the figures are way tooooo high. Ive always lamented the fact the pack weight takes away from my trekking experience (whilst adding to my percerverence/stubborness) and as a 4 legged friend is not feasible to carry my load in Tas, plan #23-a comes into effect...lightweight.

Gald it assisted you Nat..after all, if were not here to assist......

Any other thoughts/suggestions/knowledge is appreciated.
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:19 am

Earthling wrote:Yes the pots thing sonofabeach....will wean myself for a trial...just added luxury and ease....saves me having to wash a pot immediately to cook my custard for dessert...can have a pot going for a cuppa as Im eating my porridge in the morn...soak beans in the arvie/day stops and still able to have a cuppa.... :roll: :D I find it funny that Im debating over 135grams.... :D

Yeah, I only recommended dropping a pot, because I couldn't find any other recommendations to make. :-) I'm not a light weight freak (yet), and actually carry two pots and a kettle on most of my walks (in the large size Trangia). However, I've recently started walking with a modified system and just a single billy on some occasions when I'm on my own and really need to cut down on weight and/or pack space.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earthling » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:53 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
Earthling wrote:Yes the pots thing sonofabeach....will wean myself for a trial...just added luxury and ease....saves me having to wash a pot immediately to cook my custard for dessert...can have a pot going for a cuppa as Im eating my porridge in the morn...soak beans in the arvie/day stops and still able to have a cuppa.... :roll: :D I find it funny that Im debating over 135grams.... :D

I'm not a light weight freak (yet), and actually carry two pots and a kettle on most of my walks (in the large size Trangia). .

Dont worry Sonofabeach the darkside always wins :wink: :D
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 6:20 am

Hi Earthling,

Sorry about coming in on this thread late but I have only just found it, I was OS when it started.

From what I have read in the reviews about the Contrail that it is not that good in very strong winds and what I have learned from this site a tent in Tasmania has to be able to handle very strong winds and lots of rain, I also own a Contrail , my view is that the Contrail would struggle in Tasmanian conditions.

On previous advice from BW-T members a Macpac Microlite is suitable but its weight is 1.6kg.

Some weight could be saved by changing from a Stainless steel mug 100g to a plastic mug, most are around 50g.

Your tourch at 78g could be replaced by a petzl e-light at less than 30g.

I would be very cautious about using film canister for tooth paste as they are supposted to have residual chemicals in the plastic which are not to nice. I use an 3cc syringe which easily holds enough tooth paste for a week and its weight is only 3g half of that of a film canister, to cap the syring off I use a hypodermic needle cap with the needle pulled out and then I use a soldering iron to melt the tip closed, I have been doing this for several years now and I have been known to even cut the syringe down to suit the length of the trip.

As for two pots, I sometimes take two Ti pots, depends on what meal I am cooking but many walkers happily survive with one pot.

I hope this is of some help.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 3:12 pm

You can also save weight by just using the tooth brush with a dab of salt, less polluting and replace the SS mug with Titanium my 450 ml Snow Peak only weighs 68g and I can use it to boil water for a clean tasting cuppa.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Earthling » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 7:49 pm

Tony wrote:From what I have read in the reviews about the Contrail that it is not that good in very strong winds and what I have learned from this site a tent in Tasmania has to be able to handle very strong winds and lots of rain, I also own a Contrail , my view is that the Contrail would struggle in Tasmanian conditions.
On previous advice from BW-T members a Macpac Microlite is suitable but its weight is 1.6kg.
Some weight could be saved by changing from a Stainless steel mug 100g to a plastic mug, most are around 50g.
Your tourch at 78g could be replaced by a petzl e-light at less than 30g.

I would be very cautious about using film canister for tooth paste as they are supposted to have residual chemicals in the plastic which are not to nice. I use an 3cc syringe which easily holds enough tooth paste for a week and its weight is only 3g half of that of a film canister, to cap the syring off I use a hypodermic needle cap with the needle pulled out and then I use a soldering iron to melt the tip closed, I have been doing this for several years now and I have been known to even cut the syringe down to suit the length of the trip.
As for two pots, I sometimes take two Ti pots, depends on what meal I am cooking but many walkers happily survive with one pot.
I hope this is of some help.
Tony

Some good points their Tony. Thanks.
Ive had a chat with Alliecat regarding the tents, was gooood, subsequently Im currently looking for a 4 season tent for winter use.
The contrail is good...but your right, not 4 season unfortunately....

The Macpac Microlite looks good, Im also looking at Stephenson's Warmlite 2R, ID Mega Sola, Hilleberg Soulo, Lunar Solo and what ever else pops up in the near future. Vestibul and room to move (1 person) and storm proofness is alllll number 1.

I like the idea of the syringe. This could be applied for a few different pastes I use (vegemite etc). Very good idea.

Mug and torch Ive thought about last time I went to the row of THE stores and Im more then likely switching over.

Ive found titanium isnt really any lighter then aluminium...just stronger....please prove me wrong...less weight is good.
I know the two pots thing is a luxury....but one must allow luxuries occasionally....I must admit the ol' trangia pot I found in Glencoe does have sentimental value for use. Could always replace the other though
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 7:51 pm

corvus wrote:You can also save weight by just using the tooth brush with a dab of salt, less polluting and replace the SS mug with Titanium my 450 ml Snow Peak only weighs 68g and I can use it to boil water for a clean tasting cuppa.

I think Ive just saved extra weight. Thanks corvus!
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 8:09 pm

Earthling wrote:I like the idea of the syringe. This could be applied for a few different pastes I use (vegemite etc). Very good idea.

You may already know this but...

You can actually buy Vegemite in a tube which is handy for bushwalking. It's a much bigger tube than some ultra-light walkers would want to carry, but if you used them at home, until nearly finished, and kept the almost empty tubes for walking, that may suit. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earthling » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 8:18 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
Earthling wrote:I like the idea of the syringe. This could be applied for a few different pastes I use (vegemite etc). Very good idea.

You may already know this but...

You can actually buy Vegemite in a tube which is handy for bushwalking. It's a much bigger tube than some ultra-light walkers would want to carry, but if you used them at home, until nearly finished, and kept the almost empty tubes for walking, that may suit. :-)

Good thought, but all that extra weight of the plastic tube compared to a syringe.....

It cracks me up how anal Im getting over a few grams...but as the guy at Wildearth said " 50 grams here and another 50 grams their and after a while suddenly youve got 1/2 a kilo added on."

Still...it cracks me up how fixed one gets on this gig once one starts.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 8:24 pm

Since the 4 season tent replacing the Contrail during winter and severe weather areas, plus other changes mentioned above, my weight allowing 1.6kg for a future tent to be decided upon is 5.879kg. This weight also includes a change in sleeping bags from the WM Badger (1.135) to a WM Megalite (0.710).
So whilst I havent saved much weight :? , I have a stonger setup with only a 260 gram increase. :D

Keep the suggestions coming all.
Its never tooo late.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 8:42 pm

Microlite tent ,you can trim grams by replacing the supplied guys with dyneema ones as I have ,found them on ultralite web site so go google.
Last edited by corvus on Tue 11 Nov, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Will » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 8:20 am

I use a 'spork' thingy plastic spoon with a fork on the other end. Love it. Only weighs 10gms.
There's a massive 25gm saving over the house spoon!

Definatly agree on dropping a billie, if not both.
If I'm walking along or without a cooking buddy then I only take a stainless cup (500ml, 70gm) and cook directly in it.

If your serious about saving weight then you might just have to forgo the custard and other such luxuries with low nutritional value.

Shoes seem to have had some major attention here in the past. Really depends where you are walking imo.
Just did the freycinet circuit in a pair of asics, for me there is no way the extra weight of a boot was warranted.

Just out of curiosity, do you do a final weight? With food and water AND what your wearing?
Will
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Earthling » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 4:57 pm

Will wrote:I use a 'spork' thingy plastic spoon with a fork on the other end. Love it. Only weighs 10gms.
There's a massive 25gm saving over the house spoon!

Definatly agree on dropping a billie, if not both.
If I'm walking along or without a cooking buddy then I only take a stainless cup (500ml, 70gm) and cook directly in it.

If your serious about saving weight then you might just have to forgo the custard and other such luxuries with low nutritional value.

Shoes seem to have had some major attention here in the past. Really depends where you are walking imo.
Just did the freycinet circuit in a pair of asics, for me there is no way the extra weight of a boot was warranted.

Just out of curiosity, do you do a final weight? With food and water AND what your wearing?

Ive looked at those sporks and they just dont grab me as big enough...I like biiiig spoonfulls of Porridge etc....Ive been looking for a lightweight large spoon and nothing yet....will keep searching and maybe try a spork etc if no luck.

The custard I have with sugar and milk powder, so it does have nutritional value...but...I certainly see where your coming from, their is better choices nutritional wise. I could always go really hard like those guys that just eat powdered food that you dont even need to heat up, just add water! Im not that hardcore...or...abusive to my body (ultra-processed foods). Foods something I need to look at more though, definetly.

I normally dont do a final weight apart from putting the pack on and judging wether its tooo heavy or not. Usually its not too heavy, except when carrying toooo much water for multi-days with no water at all. However I will be doing a final weight in the future just for referance for other walks I do. Traditionally everyday wear is not added to pack weight, but the way I look at it...its still on your person and needs your two feet and a heart beat to get it moving so.........I will add it as 'worn weight' or the like.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby alliecat » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 5:49 pm

Earthling wrote:Ive looked at those sporks and they just dont grab me as big enough...I like biiiig spoonfulls of Porridge etc....Ive been looking for a lightweight large spoon and nothing yet....

Would this do the trick: large spork?
:)
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:06 pm

alliecat wrote:
Earthling wrote:Ive looked at those sporks and they just dont grab me as big enough...I like biiiig spoonfulls of Porridge etc....Ive been looking for a lightweight large spoon and nothing yet....

Would this do the trick: large spork?
:)

Im excited! :D :D :D

Well....I was excited...until I realised theirs only a 4 gram saving between the house fork and the Large Spork....
The search continues...
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 5:19 pm

Don't forget you are getting a serving size spoon ,fork and a serrated edge for cutting must leave a house fork well out of the equasion and you save 4gms for a three in one and dont forget you are trying to save every gramme.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 6:19 pm

Yes, though he could size up to a 'pooper scooper', multi-use wide mouth spoon....

(sorry- now back to the serious business of gram cutting)

Why do you need such a large spoon? Why not eat quicker?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey corvus,
Do I evince an Ultra-light convert in you- I was looking for the tongue in cheek smilie and did'nt see it.
Looking forward to finally meeting you on the triple top BWT walk, I suspect your bark is worse than your bite!
Nuts,
The answer is -2 iPoods, one for the dirty business, and one for the prep/kitchen, complete with condiments in the handle,
b*gger the weight! ( I won't delet this one)
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Earthling » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 8:50 pm

corvus wrote:Don't forget you are getting a serving size spoon ,fork and a serrated edge for cutting must leave a house fork well out of the equasion and you save 4gms for a three in one and dont forget you are trying to save every gramme.

Yes the three in one is good. However a knife and fork is not really needed. Just a spoon is enough for the meals I make.
Regarding saving every gram.....when it cost me $30 or more to save 4 grams.....I feel I can handle the extra effort required to carry it.
Im anal in my gear weight saving...but not that anal.....yet :lol:
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:32 pm

Earthling wrote:
corvus wrote:Im anal in my gear weight saving...but not that anal.....yet :lol:

By the looks of things when you have the disposable cash you will be :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:57 pm

Nuts wrote:Why do you need such a large spoon? Why not eat quicker?

yeah, get rid of the spoon and just lie on your back and get someone to pour the food in!
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 6:18 pm

geoskid wrote:Hey corvus,
Do I evince an Ultra-light convert in you- I was looking for the tongue in cheek smilie and did'nt see it.
Looking forward to finally meeting you on the triple top BWT walk, I suspect your bark is worse than your bite!
)

Mark, not Ultra-Lite just Lighter in weight for me wherever I can but as my back pack weighs 3+kg I will never get under 6kg ( and whats with pinching my words ? use you own funk and wagnalls :lol: ) like so looking forward to the Strollers Roland tops walk and checking out gear that we use :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Sun 16 Nov, 2008 8:28 pm

We are about to do an overnighter over Mt Claud.Mt VanDyke and Mt Roland this should require 4 season gear and for the sake of weight watchers I will post a weight list of every item in my pack including the pack,tent etc including food and water (quick glance at my previous list and I am no where near under 6kg even excluding food and water)
and I use Titanium hardware so just think that I cannot win :?
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Earthling » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 3:20 pm

corvus wrote:We are about to do an overnighter over Mt Claud.Mt VanDyke and Mt Roland this should require 4 season gear and for the sake of weight watchers I will post a weight list of every item in my pack including the pack,tent etc including food and water (quick glance at my previous list and I am no where near under 6kg even excluding food and water)
and I use Titanium hardware so just think that I cannot win :?

Be good to see, always a joy perusing other peoples gear list for hints and tips.
Remember Corvus, its not about winning, its about the trip for each...
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby under10kg » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 4:03 pm

You could get a lighter sleeping bag.
I find a high quality down 750 gm bag is fine if you layer clothing on those cold nights, or better still take your girlfriend!
I find a cocoon insulating jacket is warm enough to be my only insulating jacket combined with a super light weight wind shirt, thermals, shirt and parka. I think you have 2 jackets listed.
My pack is much lighter too than the golight.
I feel it is hard to get down to 5kg if you want to add a camera
I think these suggestions are about 750 gms lighter and without the camera about 1 K lighter
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Next

Return to Equipment