A river somwhere trip pack gear list

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

A river somwhere trip pack gear list

Postby Tony » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 7:47 am

This is my gear list for the gear that I carried in my pack on my recent River somewhere trip.

Tony

This is my gear list of what was carried in my pack total 6.8 kg this is minus the food, grog and water, I did not weigh these items before the trip but I did weight the total pack weight at the start which was 9.5kg.
50 liter Golite Jam2 pack front
Pack back
BPL UL 180 Quilt and Contrail Tarp Tent
Full kitchen
Pots, pot handle, stove, gas canister and windshield (two pots where taken as one was for heating the curry and the second was to cook the rice but as it turned out my mate had some rice imported from the US that only needed hot water added so a plastic container would have only been needed)
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: A river somwhere trip pack gear list

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 8:04 am

Looks like a good kit, and certainly a comfortable weight to carry.

How many days/nights were you out for? (For the food weight).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tony » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi Nik,

Son of a Beach wrote:Looks like a good kit, and certainly a comfortable weight to carry.

How many days/nights were you out for? (For the food weight).

We were out for only one night.

The food that I carried on this trip consisted of

One medium takeaway Butter chicken curry not dehydrated for main meal (not lightweight but a very nice meal in the bush).
6 x muesli bars
I large bowl of just right muesli for breakfast
6 x large vitawheat
a small container of spread
half a 250g block of chocolate
some powdered milk
8 tea bags
one tube of hot chocolate.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi Tony
I noticed that you use the Prolite 4, that is the thinnest mat that I enjoy using ( at 171 cm the "ladies" version is my size) , so that brings me to the question, what was the minimum temperature ?
That is in regards to the 180 quilt. Do you wear some clothing under that ? (Apart from the polypro stuff)
I use the No Sniveller but I think that so far it has only gone down to around 10 c , if I expect below 5c I use the Ultralite .
Nice stove.....
Franco
Polypro ? never seen sheep wearing that
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tony » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 11:48 am

Hi Franco,

Franco wrote:Hi Tony
I noticed that you use the Prolite 4, that is the thinnest mat that I enjoy using ( at 171 cm the "ladies" version is my size) , so that brings me to the question, what was the minimum temperature ?
That is in regards to the 180 quilt. Do you wear some clothing under that ? (Apart from the polypro stuff)
I use the No Sniveller but I think that so far it has only gone down to around 10 c , if I expect below 5c I use the Ultralite .
Nice stove.....
Franco
Polypro ? never seen sheep wearing that

I have found the prolite 4 comfortable in all conditions, as for temperature I have used, just it on snow at around -17ºC to -18ºC with no problems.

With the 180 quilt I went to bed with a light thermal top and longs on but had to get up early in the morning to put a thicker wool thermal over the thin thermal, I was then comfortable and the temperature would have been in the low single digits as it was snowing above but only raining where we camped, overall I was actually impressed with the performance of the quilt warmth wise but had one small problem with the edge coming up my back when sleeping on my side but that was easily fixed.

Tony

ps I have just unpacked two Nikon D300's for work, awesome camera
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 3:20 pm

I took some note of that quilt when BPL had the sale but even at the lower price with the weak dollar I could not justify the cost. I was going to compare it with my modified No Sniveller, about 600 g at the moment. Since I modified that (just reduced the length by 1.5 baffles and used the down to beef up the other baffles) I only have it tested at 10c and 14c. Curiously at 14c (very humid weather next to a river) I was warm on top but my PO Max Thermo felt cold. I have used that mat successfully at around 5c.
I am slowly learning to turn less and can do that in my sleep without pulling the quilt off my back.
Franco
The D300 is the type of camera that I would like to have at hand if someone else was carrying it for me. I am missing some of the toys from my last job
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby sirius Tas » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 9:46 am

Hi Tony,
Just looking at gear list.....are they your own weights or those supplied by manufacturer??....as I notice you've given down to 10ths of a gram....which would require scientific scales to measure.
Also noticed following not listed..
1st Aid kit containing....whistle, thermal blanket, roller bandages(snake bite etc), wound dressing, triangular bandage,band aids(blisters, minor cuts etc),pins, needle and thread, emergency food
Toilet gear...trowel, toilet paper,towel etc
water container??
compass or gps??
note book, pencil..
camera??...don't bother with one.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi sirius tas,

sirius Tas wrote:Hi Tony,
Just looking at gear list.....are they your own weights or those supplied by manufacturer??....as I notice you've given down to 10ths of a gram....which would require scientific scales to measure.
Also noticed following not listed..
1st Aid kit containing....whistle, thermal blanket, roller bandages(snake bite etc), wound dressing, triangular bandage,band aids(blisters, minor cuts etc),pins, needle and thread, emergency food
Toilet gear...trowel, toilet paper,towel etc
water container??
compass or gps??
note book, pencil..
camera??...don't bother with one.

I have access to a set of scales that can weigh up to 34 kg at 0.1g resolution, the scales will also tare up to 34kg.

The weight of the items in my list above are for in my pack only and thank you for pointing out that I had left off the first aid kit this was a unintentional mistake. My first aid kit also holds my personal hygiene items, soap, towel and toilet paper, spare matches and its weight is around 350g, my first aid kit carries most of the items covered in you post, I carry spare food but that is in my food bag. I do not carry a trowel as we often are camped near a hut with a pit toilet but when not near a toilet, I dig a hole with a stick and when possible burn my used TP.

I do not carry a thermal blanket as I do not think they are required when I have a tent and sleeping bag.

I carry a Compass, whistle, knife, torch, matches, some toilet paper and a film canister with my personal details, medical history and some water proof matches all this in a small bum bag around my waste which I also hang my camera off.

I carry the PLB and my waking mate carries the GPS, when I need to take my own GPS I take my Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS, 78g I think.

I do not carry note pad as my mate carries one but it is something that I will consider.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Earthling » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 7:54 am

You bought a Contrail!
How is it for you and how did it handle the weather?
I just sussed out that super light Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS. Do you do anything about the Battery life: 10 hours, typical ?
And what brand/model of gloves are you using? 30grams is nice. Good to what temps?
Thanks for sharing your pack list. Much appreciated.
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 9:10 am

Hi Earthling,

Earthling wrote:You bought a Contrail!
How is it for you and how did it handle the weather?
I just sussed out that super light Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS. Do you do anything about the Battery life: 10 hours, typical ?
And what brand/model of gloves are you using? 30grams is nice. Good to what temps?
Thanks for sharing your pack list. Much appreciated.

I really like the contrail, I have used the Contrail twice now, before I purchased the Contrail I read that it can take a few trips to get the pitching right and I am getting the pitching better everytime I use it. On the first on the above trip, we experienced some rain but very little wind, We where camped by a river and when it rained I experienced some misting inside but this is normal for single skin tents in rain, I needed to wipe the inside occasionally. I also had problems with not having a flat campsite and the slippery floor had me sliding to the side, the instructions recomended to put some sealant on the floor to stop this happening, I had not done this but the second use I had put some dots of silicone across the floor and it made a lot of difference.

On my second trip to grey Mare Hut KNP I was hit by a thunderstorm and some wind, I experienced no condensation and the Contrail handled the rain and wind with no problems but I would not rate the wind as very strong.

The garmin 305, I have used a few times, the 10 hour battery life is only a problem if you leave it on all of the time, if used only when needed then the 10 hour should be enough for many days walking. I have made a charger for it and have recorded four days of walking, jaycar now sell a Lithium charger that should give an extra day of charging.

The gloves are Possom/wool mix that I got when I was in NZ last Feb. and for me are good for sub zero.

Contrail at Grey Mare Hut KNP 1620M

Grey Mare Hut KNP, with me doing it hard
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ivantheterrible » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 5:47 pm

hi tony,
just wondering how the Korker boots are to hike in? I have Korker wading boots and they are a couple sizes larger than my normal shoes to fit my waders. I have neoprene socks that i can wear with them to wet wade, but i wouldnt want to hike in them....they would be awefully hot and i'd say would cause a few blisters.

i am going on a trip next weekend, taking my fly rod. I am carrying in a pair of crocs to wade in, but i am a bit worried about snakes. I am leaving my waders and korkers home as they are just too big to carry.

would be great to hear your views on this one.
ivan
ivantheterrible
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby climberman » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 8:21 pm

Tony - nice to see folks getting out and about with rod in hand.

I'm looking to do Euc Dam-Happy Jacks Rd-Grey Mare-Valentines via MTB with the +1 later in the year (the rod may well make it in!). I note the bikes against the hut; are they yours ? If so, how was the riding and what sort of times for your route did you find ?
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Earthling » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 9:01 pm

Goodo about the Contrail. Feel free to post away in my gearlist thread when youve had some high wind, about how the contrail handled it. Also any other adverse weather conditions. Ive found I need to put another pole at the base to give a bit more height so my bag doesnt touch the tent roof. Francos got some pics around showing his with it if you feel that way inclined.

How do you charge the GPS out bush? What sort of charger is it? Solar?

That possum/wool mix seems to work well. I will look into them...any particular breed/make better?
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 5:40 am

G'Day Tony
How does the jam go with that weight with it not having a frame sheet? Do you use your pad for support? I would imagine you would be on the upper end of the comfortable weight
Thanks
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 6:43 am

ivantheterrible wrote:hi tony,
just wondering how the Korker boots are to hike in? I have Korker wading boots and they are a couple sizes larger than my normal shoes to fit my waders. I have neoprene socks that i can wear with them to wet wade, but i wouldnt want to hike in them....they would be awefully hot and i'd say would cause a few blisters.

i am going on a trip next weekend, taking my fly rod. I am carrying in a pair of crocs to wade in, but i am a bit worried about snakes. I am leaving my waders and korkers home as they are just too big to carry.

ivan

Ivan, I go on extended walks in the Western Lakes region wearing my "oversize" wading boots with neoprene booties without any problems. I carry lightweight breathable thigh waders in my pack for those situations which require wading. On day walks in the area, I just head off in my normal chest waders (breathable).

I agree that it is not feasible to wear normal walking boots and carry wading boots and chest waders.

Forgot to mention that I did wear the wading boots/neoprene booties on a couple of day walks (before trying overnighters) just to make sure they were comfortable.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:08 am

Hi Ivan,
ivantheterrible wrote:hi tony,

ivan

I have bushwalked many a mile in my Korker's, both on trails and through the bush, I really like walking in them and prefer them to my Scarpa's, I have certainly not found them hot and I have never had a blister from them. My Korker's are also a size to big so I can wear neoprene waders, I just wear thick woolen socks when I walk in them. I only take neoprene waders early and late in the season.

My korker's are the old type and unfortunately I lost one of my felt soles in some very fast flowing water on the above trip and I am not able to replace it.

As felt is now banned in NZ and the boot manufacturers are going to stop making felt soles I am going to wait until the new non slip Vibrant soles come out on Korker boots before I get my next pair of wading boots.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:35 am

Hi climberman,

climberman wrote:Tony - nice to see folks getting out and about with rod in hand.

I'm looking to do Euc Dam-Happy Jacks Rd-Grey Mare-Valentines via MTB with the +1 later in the year (the rod may well make it in!). I note the bikes against the hut; are they yours ? If so, how was the riding and what sort of times for your route did you find ?

The MT Bikes are ours, we thought that we would save a long walk that we have done a few times we rode in from Round Mountain 1610m (Grey Mare Hut 1620m) a distance of around 24k on well maintained fire trails (or so I thought), I had not been on a mountain bike for some 10+ years and the only training that I have recently done was a 50k road bike ride in September (I used to do triathlons and bike racing and I had done some MTB riding back then). I found it challenging on the way in, my body really suffered and I ended up doing a bit of pushing. It took us 3h 15 m to do the 24k, I was absolutely stuffed at the end. On the way back to the car on day three, I decided to push the bike up the hills and keep my legs for the ride the down hills and the flat, It was raining and the track was very muddy in parts, this seemed to work we made the car in 3h 10m and I felt good at the end. My bike is an old Repco High Sierra that I won in a lucky barrel draw at the end a Triathlon some 15 years ago, it is very basic, I have since ridden a new high quality MTB and realised how far they have come.

We are planning to fish the Tumut from Happy Jacks on the long weekend will let you know how we go.

Tony

Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:53 am

Hi Earthling,

Earthling wrote:Goodo about the Contrail. Feel free to post away in my gearlist thread when youve had some high wind, about how the contrail handled it. Also any other adverse weather conditions. Ive found I need to put another pole at the base to give a bit more height so my bag doesnt touch the tent roof. Francos got some pics around showing his with it if you feel that way inclined.

How do you charge the GPS out bush? What sort of charger is it? Solar?

That possum/wool mix seems to work well. I will look into them...any particular breed/make better?

I will let you know how the Contrail goes in not so good weather, I have seen Franco's rear strut setup and will try it out sometime.

with the charger, I built my own from a IC chip that I found at Jaycar electronics and it used 4 NiMh batteries, I got three full charges out of it.

Jaycar sell a very nice charger that is lighter and has more charging capacity than the one I built and would have been cheaper Part no MB-3300 ( these where not available when I made mine) and should give 4 full charges BUT I am going to get one of these chargers soon and try it out http://www.imperativegear.com/cellphone ... hlight.htm

I do not know what exact mix my gloves are but they use ringtails possum fur and are the lightest warmest gloves available but are not wind proof are not not the best when wet and I have read that they wear out quickly.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 8:09 am

Hi Darren,

Darren wrote:G'Day Tony
How does the jam go with that weight with it not having a frame sheet? Do you use your pad for support? I would imagine you would be on the upper end of the comfortable weight
Thanks
Darren

I have been using frameless packs for about five years now, I started with a Golite trek 75l and have at times carried about 17+kg in it (includes 4l water), for me this is the upper limit, but at this weight I found it no less comfortable than my previous Berghaus internal frame pack, and at lighter weights I find the frameless packs more comfortable. I do use my sleeping mat to help support the pack.

The above trip was the first time I had used the Jam2 for an overnight trip, (I had used it a few times on some long day trips) and I found that I had no problems with 9.5kg in it, it seemed to be a good weight for it, I had the pack on all day including while wading the river. I have not used it with more than 9.5kg yet.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Darren » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 8:14 am

Tony
Im having trouble finding the charger from jaycar. Is that the right p no
Thanks
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi Darren,

Darren wrote:Tony
Im having trouble finding the charger from jaycar. Is that the right p no
Thanks
Darren

It might be that Jaycar have dropped the item, I could not find it on line, they tend to drop items regularly. I was looking in an 2007 catalog it is called "Battery pack Li-ion 5vDC/1A 3400mAh" Pt no MB-3300 $69.95.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby climberman » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks tony, I'd be keen to find out how it goes. 3-odd hours for the 24km sounds OK... we are planning around 70 or 80 over 2 days.
climberman

Return to Equipment