A Tent For All Seasons

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

3 or 4 Season Tent

3 Season
12%
4 Season
88%

Total votes : 17

A Tent For All Seasons

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:27 pm

What do you all recommend for winter hiking here- like at the WOJ or Overland Track- 3 Season or 4 Season tents? I know it gets wild-and-woolie- but does it get 4-season-wild-and-woolie?

I ask because in Georgia and the Carolinas, I never needed 4 season gear, refgardless of when I was out, because of the generally mild climate. It gets colder there, same unpredictable weather, but less snow.

Anyhow, I figured a poll would make it easy!

Cheers
the_camera_poser

Re: A Tent For All Seasons

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 5:39 pm

Looks like a 4-season tent is in the offing.
the_camera_poser

Postby Earthling » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 5:06 am

Something Ive learnt since being on this site is that Tasmania can and does have weather needing a 4 season tent. It gets the snow at all random times of the year as well as very strong winds at times.
Heres a link that might help:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1141
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 7:27 am

This topic raises an interesting point: who decides, or rates, the ability of a tent to be 3 or 4 season? I remember an list in a Wild Magazine a while ago that John Chapman wrote. It listed tents by brand and gave them a season rating, and noted at the time that these were based on the manufacturer's, or importer's, rating. I assume it relates to waterproofness of the material used, and the ability of the tent to withstand wind and snow dumps?

TR

Edit
For example, I note in the article that the Microlight is rated 3 season, as is the Micra - which I use. There are a number of people on the list who have commented on the Microlight in the past. Is this tent not good enough for the conditions one is likely to experience in Tassie?
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 9:01 am

Good point Robbo- but I guess if, as a minimum, if a manufacturer doesn't feel something is up to 4 season use, then maybe I shouldn't trust it in the Winter either. Who knows?
the_camera_poser

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 9:48 am

Robbo wrote:I note in the article that the Microlight is rated 3 season, as is the Micra - which I use. There are a number of people on the list who have commented on the Microlight in the past. Is this tent not good enough for the conditions one is likely to experience in Tassie?

It would be good to hear from the people here who've got a Microlight (I know there are a few). Has anyone here used a Microlight in Tassie's worst windy/snowy/blizzard conditions? If so, how did it perform?

My suspicion is that some people with 3 season tents also have other tents that they'd probably carry in winter, or if unsure of the weather or campsite shelter at other times of the year.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby DonQx » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 10:11 am

Few random thoughts/observations/snippets:

-If you walk in Tas in remoter or higher areas long enough you will encounter gales and significant snow dumps (big enuf so that you may not be able to walk for a day or 3).

- Manufacturer ratings are a useful starting point but I would not rely on them, after all some mfgs are very conservative/realistic in their ratings while others see them as more of a marketing angle, also litigation might influence some ratings and that may differ between different countries of origin (design and/or manufacture).

- A few months ago (Oct 08?) a friend did the Overland Track. His Macpac Apollo collapsed on him in the middle of the night after a foot or so of snow fall. This is no negative judgement of the Apollo, it's just that the tent was put in conditions that it isn't really designed for. It might have survived better if it had the top grade of pole material, but generally speaking you gets what you pay for.

- Going for tent models used by experienced walkers is not a bad bet.

- The Macpac Microlite has been around for ages, used by many ultra-experienced walkers, and to the best of my knowledge has stood the test of time as a good Tas tent for all conditions. It has some drawbacks mind you, like no head room / condensation issues / limited vestibule, but it has provided safe shelter for many walkers for a decade or 2 now. It is also not ideal with heavy snow fall, but it has been used OK. It performs very well in strong winds. (I had one, my wife has still got one). The Salewa Micra is a bit better in snow but less capable in strong winds. (I've had one too)

- Tents that I currently use in winter conditions: Hilleberg Nallo 3 on my own, Salewa Sierra Leone Standard for wife & me.

Hope this makes sense,

Cheers, a.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 11:39 am

Yes, very good reply thanks DQ.

DonQx wrote:- The Macpac Microlite has been around for ages, used by many ultra-experienced walkers, and to the best of my knowledge has stood the test of time as a good Tas tent for all conditions. It has some drawbacks mind you, like no head room / condensation issues / limited vestibule, but it has provided safe shelter for many walkers for a decade or 2 now. It is also not ideal with heavy snow fall, but it has been used OK. It performs very well in strong winds. (I had one, my wife has still got one). The Salewa Micra is a bit better in snow but less capable in strong winds. (I've had one too)

I know what you mean re the Micra and Microlight.

- Tents that I currently use in winter conditions: Hilleberg Nallo 3 on my own, Salewa Sierra Leone Standard for wife & me.

Thanks for the input and comments.

Hope this makes sense,

Makes great sense to me...

TR
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Fitz » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 9:11 pm

Quite often we mistakenly say we have "used something successfully" when what has really happened is we have gotten away with using something...if that makes sense!
And while I'm at it, the Salewa Sierra leone ultralight is NOT a 4 season tent as described. I broke a pole and ripped the pole attachment from the fly on my last trip. And it wasnt that windy.
Fitz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DonQx » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 4:11 am

Fitz wrote:Quite often we mistakenly say we have "used something successfully" when what has really happened is we have gotten away with using something...if that makes sense!

Good point ... that's where the 'has stood the test of time in the hand of experienced users' test isn't a bad one to apply

Fitz wrote:And while I'm at it, the Salewa Sierra leone ultralight is NOT a 4 season tent as described. I broke a pole and ripped the pole attachment from the fly on my last trip. And it wasnt that windy.

Another good point ... part of the issue being the increasing trend towards 'lite' versions of tent models ... 'lite' often meaning 'less robust' as well as less weight ...

... to my way of thinking the Sierra Leone Standard has stood the test of time as 4 seasons tent (been around for more than a decade I think) ... the Sierra Leone Ultralight hasn't been around long enough yet, but feedback like yours suggests that I wouldn't trust it as 4 seasons tent in Tas

also '4 seasons' probably means different things to different people ... for me: in Tas, ability to withstand most winds usually encountered in places other than totally exposed ridges & the likes, plus ability to cope with 1 foot of snow dumped in less than 24 hours ... 'mountaineering' tents are for me 1 step up from that

The Overland Track may require a 4 seasons tent under some conditions, the Arthurs on the other hand may require a mountaineering tent. People often get away with less than that, but I wouldn't necessarily rely on it.

interesting discussion here: http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/9/topic/003361/Number/0/site_id/1#import

:-) a.
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:58 am

As I am in the market for a new 4 season tent I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest.

On reading advice on BW-T, I nearly purchased a Macpac Microlite, the Microlite is not rated as a 4 season tent, I was talked out of it by a very knowledgeable and experienced bushwalker who has owned one and claimed that because they only have one pole they are suspect under heavy snow and they have poor ventilation.

Other tents that I have short listed are the Tarptent Sublite sil and the Tarptent Scarp1.

But both are fairly new and I would like to know how they handle very strong winds, maybe Franco might be able to answer this.

I have a Tarptent Contrail which I have now used twice, the last time a week ago it was a bit windy and a thunder storm hit, the Contrail handle the condition very well and I had no condensation inside.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DonQx » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 1:02 pm

Hello Tony,

Thoughts as I'm reading your post ...

1- Microlite not rated 4 seasons ... true
2- Poor ventilation ... also true
3- Suspect under heavy snow ... hmmm ... depends on what you mean and what you do ... I've been on several trips with quite a bit of snow (15-25cm dumps, but would you call that heavy? Up you way the dumps may be bigger) where several others had Microlites ... snow had to be pushed off regularly, but the 1 pole construction handled everything fine (maybe due to the fact that it is actually quite a small tent, thus the snow catching areas also reasonably small)
4- Many years ago the Hobart Paddy Pallins shop was in the habit of taking gear out & testing it. Someone in the shop at the time told me that they took a collection of tents on a very windy ridge in SW Tas. Apparently the Olympus and the Microlite were the last ones standing by a fair margin, and the ML did nearly as well as the O.

Just had a quick look at the Tarptents. Scarp1 with cross-over poles looks promising.

Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi DonQx,

DonQx wrote:Hello Tony,

Thoughts as I'm reading your post ...

1- Microlite not rated 4 seasons ... true
2- Poor ventilation ... also true
3- Suspect under heavy snow ... hmmm ... depends on what you mean and what you do ... I've been on several trips with quite a bit of snow (15-25cm dumps, but would you call that heavy? Up you way the dumps may be bigger) where several others had Microlites ... snow had to be pushed off regularly, but the 1 pole construction handled everything fine (maybe due to the fact that it is actually quite a small tent, thus the snow catching areas also reasonably small)
4- Many years ago the Hobart Paddy Pallins shop was in the habit of taking gear out & testing it. Someone in the shop at the time told me that they took a collection of tents on a very windy ridge in SW Tas. Apparently the Olympus and the Microlite were the last ones standing by a fair margin, and the ML did nearly as well as the O.

Just had a quick look at the Tarptents. Scarp1 with cross-over poles looks promising.

Thanks for the excellent information on the Microlite, the Microlite capabilities in the wind is not being questioned, you are not making my decision any easier, I will put it back on my list.

To make things harder the Microlite has been on sale at Macpac for $300.

Check this thread out at BPL on the Tarptent Sublite-sil in the snow, at 615g it is very tempting

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=17449

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 4:48 pm

No question at $300.00 Microlite is a steal (think I paid $450.00 for mine) and it can be fully enclosed if required just ensure you have a SB with a water resistant shell .
The shape of the ML helps to shed snow it can withstand very strong winds and the sil nylon sheds rain ,condensation is my only complaint and I am working on that .
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby norts » Thu 01 Jan, 2009 8:25 am

I have had about 15 cm of snow fall in one night on my Microlight and had no issues, when I got up next morning I dug the snow away from around the edge of the tent. Billy grips and a metal bowl make a good snow shovel if a bit hard on your back.
The snow was starting to build up along the edge of the tent. The walls of the microlite flatten out as you get near to the edge and if you got a large dump it would eventually build up and pull the tent down. This would not happen on a steep sided tent.

I would not like to be in the Microlight if you had a very large dump of snow.

Corvus if you solve the condensation problem please let me.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment