EPIRB Do people carry them?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

EPIRB Do people carry them?

Postby Fishinmad » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi everyone, I am just wondering if people carry an EPIRB when walking in Tas. I have been thinking about getting one, but they are so expensive. Do people think they are worth the extra weight and saftey? :?:
Fishinmad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: EPIRB Do people carry them?

Postby BarryJ » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 1:37 pm

I have carried one for a number of years. I bought a new one 12 months ago and at around $450 I consider it a very cheap form of insurance; assuming it lasts me 10 years, it's less than a $1 per week.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 1:43 pm

Some of us do carry them depending on the area and if we are walking solo, we are trying to access a discounted supply when the system changes in Feb .
The question I ask myself when I look at the cost and extra weight is how much is my life worth :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Ciaran » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 2:31 pm

I've have always carried one as I am often walking solo. Agree with you corvus, it's a very small price for the tragedies that may be bestowed on your friends and family.

On the subject of the bulk buy......

I am interested in the Kti MInisat for my next plb and emailed Kti on the progress of this model and received a reply from Kti a few days ago, and they say that Corpas-Sarsat have changed performance requirements twice since compliance testing began on their products. The models already in test must meet the new specification. Original tests have been completed and passed on the Kti "Minisat", however the latest round of specification changes has introduced new requirements that this product is not designed to and has yet to be tested for. The changes will now delay the release until april 2009.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 5:32 pm

I spoke to my contact today and she will be checking out a bulk buy price on the CME MT 410G which a few of us expressed interest in ,just a reminder this would need to be a pre paid transaction with the finer details worked out prior to order if the price is good enough.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:13 pm

how much do they cost to rent, incidentally?
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:26 pm

From memory the old ones cost $30.00 per day dont know how much for the new version but as the cost is almost double my guess is $55/$60. per day but you will need to ask "Parks" about that.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Ciaran » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:52 pm

I,ve never inquired about the cost of hiring them, but on those prices, two or three five day walks would cover the cost of owning one for yourself for many more walks.

Remember that an EPIRB not only gets yourself help when you need it, but in the event of a disaster, you may save someone elses life as well.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby lexharris » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:50 am

corvus wrote:From memory the old ones cost $30.00 per day dont know how much for the new version but as the cost is almost double my guess is $55/$60. per day but you will need to ask "Parks" about that.

From Service Tasmania, $30 per week or part thereof.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=7364
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for the info lexharris at $30.00 per week that makes them reasonable for infrequent users.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby red tag » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:04 pm

A useless lesson is EBIRB history:

During WW2 the German airforce Luftwaffe crews were issued an emergency transmitter .. the design was ingenious and it was copied by the allies in vast numbers .. these WW2 era things were in use by our own RAAF until the 1970's ..

http://www.wftw.nl/gibsongirl/gibsongirl.html

I owned one for years . The kit consisted of a hand cranked transmitter ( with 2 valves or tubes inside, no battery needed ) , it was shaped to fit snugly between the thighs .. it sent an automatic SOS in morse code on 500 khz ... the long wire antenna was raised by a balloon, a cartridge containing chenicals was lowered into the water ... hydrogen gas generated blew up the balloon . Also, In the kit was a box kite .. if enough wind was around , the kite raised the antenna . A bright light strapped to the top of your head ..looked funny , it flashed SOS . The whole set was totally waterproof and would float . By law, all ships were required to listen to 500khz , the international distress frequency. The set was colloquially known as a GIBSON GIRL . range was approx. 100 km at sea .
red tag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jay590 » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 3:43 pm

i just bought a epirb. It just sits in the bottom of my pack until i need it (hopefully never.)
jay590
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bluewombat » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 3:57 pm

one word, ALWAYS
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 4:43 pm

G'day jay590,
It needs to be more accessible than the bottom of your pack :D
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby flyfisher » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 5:55 pm

i just bought a epirb. It just sits in the bottom of my pack until i need it (hopefully never.)

Methinks top pocket morbetta :D

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Earthling » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 7:25 pm

GME MT 410G look good at the lightweight of 300gms. I will be interested to see what you can get them for.

I must admit though...part of the enjoyment of going bushwalking for me, has been to 'test oneself', improvise when needed, to be resourceful and use your wits/abilities/common sense/nous; knowing, that in the end, theirs just me; no one else if things go pear shaped. An epirb would....detract from that, knowing that theirs always help if needed, at the flick of a switch.....
I will have to give this some more thought.

I imagine this has come up in convo before...but by having an epirb, is their actual cases of people taking greater risks knowing that worse case scenario, they can flick a switch and get assistance?
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby lexharris » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 8:13 pm

Earthling wrote:I must admit though...part of the enjoyment of going bushwalking for me, has been to 'test oneself', improvise when needed, to be resourceful and use your wits/abilities/common sense/nous; knowing, that in the end, theirs just me; no one else if things go pear shaped. An epirb would....detract from that, knowing that theirs always help if needed, at the flick of a switch.....
I will have to give this some more thought.

I admit I have much the same feeling. On solo trips I've given in to carrying an epirb but it's more for my wife and family's peace of mind than mine. In today's safety-mad cotton-wool-clad world there is a tendency to view any kind of risk taking as reckless and irresponsible. My personal view is that measured and responsible risk taking is a healthy part of life and a world where all risk is systematically purged is a very much impoverished one.
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 03 Jan, 2009 9:21 pm

I carry an EPIRB only at the insistence of my wife ,I still trust my own judgment to find my way out of danger through experience however in the event of a broken limb or other major trauma in thick scrub I would like to think that help was at hand with a flick of a switch at a much reduced cost rather than a major S&R search (5m GPS accuracy) and I will still restrict my remote /off track walks to at least two.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby DonQx » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 3:23 pm

I/we carry an EPIRB, actually now it is a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon methinks, whatver they call the smaller versions of the new-fangled ones), on most trips - walking, seakayaking, motorcycle riding, cycling.

While I share some of the view about too much risk aversion in today's society, I'm also wanting to minimise any hassle/cost to the community if something should happen.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 4:48 pm

DonQx wrote:.......................................................

While I share some of the view about too much risk aversion in today's society, I'm also wanting to minimise any hassle/cost to the community if something should happen.

I agree. At the end of the day, the user is in full control of the decision whether or not to activate their beacon. If you feel you can overcome the problem and make your way out under your own steam, do so!
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 4:51 pm

The cheapest I've seen the GME MT410G for is $576 delivered.
But I believe you could get a slightly better deal than that for a bulk buy.
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby sirius Tas » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 8:58 pm

Whether to carry a PLB or not is an individual choice...but far too often this is based on reducing weight rather than safety concerns. For those who don't wish to carry one...or equivalent equipment....they should think of the obvious ramifications if you haven't returned from a walk. What are the extra costs to the public.....where does the search begin?? etc etc. It's mandatory to have an EPIRB in boats operating outside sheltered waters....I don't see any hassle their.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi sirius tas,

sirius Tas wrote:Whether to carry a PLB or not is an individual choice...but far too often this is based on reducing weight rather than safety concerns. For those who don't wish to carry one...or equivalent equipment....they should think of the obvious ramifications if you haven't returned from a walk. What are the extra costs to the public.....where does the search begin?? etc etc. It's mandatory to have an EPIRB in boats operating outside sheltered waters....I don't see any hassle their.

I agree with you that not carrying a PLB if you have one to save weight is no the right thing to do.

I carry a PLB and my pack weight for summer for the Australian Alps is around 6 kg (PLB included) plus food and water, that includes gear to handle cold snaps with snow that are common in the Alps all year round and fishing gear.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jay590 » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 12:52 pm

well its not actually at the bottom it sits in my top pocket where i can get it easily.
jay590
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 6:34 pm

jay590 I knew it would just testing :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 7:19 pm

G'day Tony,
I still scratch my head trying to get down to your under 6kg weights ,remind please me of your LW gear which does not include food or water in your under 6kg pack .
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Tony » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 7:56 am

Hi Corvus,

corvus wrote:G'day Tony,
I still scratch my head trying to get down to your under 6kg weights ,remind please me of your LW gear which does not include food or water in your under 6kg pack .
c

I was slightly out with my my weight in the post earlier in this thread the actual weight minus food was 6.8 kg but that included extra cooking gear for a two pot meal for two people and 300g for some felt soles and fishing gear.

Full list and some pictures published in the thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1368

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Andrew » Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi all,

Was on the South Coast Track for a week and spoke to a couple from Sydney. There was 3 of them in the Western Arturs a couple of days before when one lady fractured her leg. They had an EPIRB and the helicopter was there with 4 staff - police, medical etc. in 3 hours and she was airlifted to hospital and had the break set and then flew back to Sydney. They were pretty happy they had the EPIRB.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sirius Tas » Tue 20 Jan, 2009 7:15 pm

Your post Andrew just high lights how valuable a PLB can be. If going solo...or a group....then they're worth their weight in gold. While none of us ever hope to or expect to use one...the piece of mind for families back home is pretty comforting as well.
I guess the recent event down south where the young lady spent a night in the scrub...also high lights how important basic safety gear is.i.e. whistle, thermal blanket PLB OR SAT phone equivalent.
There is no doubt had she been carrying just a whistle...her partner would have easily found her thus avoiding a near tragedy. If she had of been in an Alpine environment the outcome may have been vastly different.
For those that might of missed an earlier thread...PLB's can be hired from Service Tasmania shops for $40 per week...which is quite reasonable considering their cost.
As a general rule I normally take the Sat phone if I'm going walking more than 15 min or so from the vehicle.
There is no doubt that the time will soon come that carrying a PLB will be mandatory...especially in NP's...similar to boat owners when out of sheltered waters.
When a rescue does occur..rescue authorities don't want to waste valuable time and money trying to figure out where some one might be just because they weren't carrying a PLB.
I realise the cost is high...but firmly believe there is no option but to carry one..or the equivalent.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ciaran » Sun 22 Feb, 2009 8:10 pm

corvus wrote:I spoke to my contact today and she will be checking out a bulk buy price on the CME MT 410G which a few of us expressed interest in ,just a reminder this would need to be a pre paid transaction with the finer details worked out prior to order if the price is good enough.

Just wondering if there is any follow up on the bulk buyof PLB's
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Next

Return to Equipment