EPIRB Do people carry them?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: EPIRB Do people carry them?

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 8:33 am

Ciaran wrote:
corvus wrote:I spoke to my contact today and she will be checking out a bulk buy price on the CME MT 410G which a few of us expressed interest in ,just a reminder this would need to be a pre paid transaction with the finer details worked out prior to order if the price is good enough.

Just wondering if there is any follow up on the bulk buyof PLB's

Adam, who's organising it, is currently away on holidays for a few weeks. There's another topic for the bulk buy, so post a query there in a couple of weeks to ask him how it's going.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Ciaran » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks Nik I'll do just that.
May have to splash out before then as I will need one by the 25th of March; see how we go 8)
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bluey17 » Thu 05 Mar, 2009 8:00 pm

Im a new member to this site but an avid "bushwalker" all the same. I've had an epirb GME PLB for a year now and cant reccomend them high enough to anyone. The self reliablity and adapt and overcome attitude that some post is good to see in this day & age but the posts that elude to leavng the epirb at home so as to fully experience the isolation of the aussie bush is ludicrous. When murphys law eventually takes its course, its better for the people you've told before you left (hopefully) and the emergency services theyve informed to have a 40m circle to search in rather than a two day window between phone calls wherein you can be in a 20km plus walking track or in the scrub next to it. Just a note to ponder on a closed fracture to the leg will bleed internally leading to reduced blood pressure at the vital organs in only a few hours, end result is hypovolaemic shock -unconciousness- and someone else claiming your gear because you wont be walking again.
bluey17
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Thu 05 Mar, 2009 8:14 pm

Must agree with you as none of us are indestructible (unless you are around 18 :lol: ) IMHO so much better to be prepared especially when you can hire them in Tassie for $40.00 for 7 days.
I know we did not have them in the old days but nor did we have any of the other gear we take for granted now.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby rsser » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:57 am

There seems to be a 4 - 8 week order time for eg. the GME at the moment so don't leave it til the last moment.
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Equipment