Tent head room

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent head room

Postby Josef » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 5:01 pm

I can not cope with a tent lower than 1m and the Olympus has finally given up the ghost!
Any suggestions for a good strong roomy 3-4 season tent under 3kg would be appreciated.
Does any one know anything about the MSR Mutha Hubba?
They seem fairly versitile, but are they good in a Tassie storm?
Thanks
Josef
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Tent head room

Postby DonQx » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 8:02 am

can not cope with a tent lower than 1m ... good strong roomy 3-4 season tent under 3kg

sounds like my sort of mission ... perpetually on the lookout for the perfect tent ... ;-) ...

my specs include 4 seasons capable, 107 cm headroom inside at a spot where I can comfortably sit, inner tent set back so that you can leave the vestibule open even if it is drizzling, min weight, etc. etc. etc. ... I like to meditate in the tent while gazing out ...

don't know much about the MSR, but wouldn't consider it for 4 seasons use for meself in Tas, the inner tent is mostly mesh, that wouldn't be warm enough for me.

I've got a Hilleberg Nallo 3 for solo walking in 4 seasons terrain (~105cm headroom at the entrance, 2.3 kg, not retailed in Oz, easy to buy from hilleberg.com in US).

The Wilderness Equipment 1st Arrow Sil would come close to your requirements too, but it is 3.2-3.3 kg (currently avavailable for $499 on special in Hobart, see my posting in the gear forum).

I'd be interested in hearing what you end up with.

:-) a.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Josef » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 12:22 am

Have ruled out the MSR and the front runners now are the Big Agnes Parkview, the Hilleberg Staika and the Terra Nove Ultra Quasar. Any clues on these?
Joe.
Josef
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DonQx » Wed 07 Jan, 2009 7:30 am

no

only that Hilleberg makes very good quality tents based on my own expereince and ~10 others that I've seen in use the last few years

Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Josef » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 9:25 pm

So... I have gone with a Terra Nova Superlite Quazar (crazy names).
105 cm height
Geodesic/tunnel design
4 poles
2 large vestubles and enterances
4 season
easy pitch
fly covers inner when door open
large mesh doors
2.5kg
UK brand though made in china
Have read pretty amazing reviews.
Costing us heaps so hopefully the old saying"you get what you pay for" holds true.
Has been hard to get one however eventually managed to get one from America.
Cant wait to give it a good work out next month accross the central plateau.....just hope it gets here in time.
Joe.

Thanks for your help, your comments actually somehow led me to finding this tent as I was just about to settle on a Big Agnes Parkview and IOm far happier with this choice.
Josef
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DonQx » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 7:29 am

thx for the update

that looks like quite a tent! at so little weight ... amazing.

hope you get in time and it is just what were after

Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment