New Macpac tent range coming soon?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New Macpac tent range coming soon?

Postby stu » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 8:26 am

Hi all,

I had a response from Macpac the other day on a query I had made about getting a Microlight tent in another colour (I am not fond of the green as it blends in too much with the surroundings; fine on the overland track, not so fine if you are base camping in the scunge of the South West & want to find your way back to base easily). They could not help out with this request, but went on to mention a new range of tents are on their way - very exciting for fans of the integral pitch / quality Macpac designs, especially new free-standing models :D . Following is a quote from Nick Roberts (Macpac - Australian Retail Support Manager):

"A new tent range will be finding it's way into stores in March and includes old favourites as well as some new models including a free standing Alpine tent. A redesigned Microlight will be available as well. The new Microlight will be free-standing and lighter than the current model. There will also be a 2 person version in the range which weighs in at approx the same weight as the current model. The fly colour is yet to be confirmed but I believe is still a green although I'm pretty certain it is a lot lighter than the current colour and a lot more visible. Unfortunately current manufacture minimums allow us to manufacture in one colour only unless massive sales are forecast for a seperate colour. The current wish among the majority of our customers is to blend in more with the natural environment they are exploring. Of course this is not the wish of all our customers but one that we must cater for
I'm sorry but specific details of the new tent range will not be available until the final production run around late February due to the design and manufacture cycle specific details will only be confirmed once the tents are actually made."

Hope the range is as good as it sounds, pretty exciting as I have been wanting a good free-standing tent for a while now to replace my Minaret.

Cheers

Stuart
Last edited by stu on Tue 25 Aug, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: New Macpac tent range coming soon!

Postby brissifirey » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 6:42 pm

Any word on the new tents?
brissifirey
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stu » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:38 am

waiting, waiting, waiting...I might have to find another brand soon as I am in need of a new lightweight tent.
Anyone heard nay news on when this new lineup might be coming out, if ever!!!???
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tony » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:04 am

Hi Stu,

stubowling wrote:waiting, waiting, waiting...I might have to find another brand soon as I am in need of a new lightweight tent.
Anyone heard nay news on when this new lineup might be coming out, if ever!!!???

I also have been waiting for the lightweight version of the Microlight to come out.

I quite like this tent, http://www.wildearth.com.au/vango-heliu ... p-389.html it is rated at 4 seasons, double skin and only 900g-1000g, The cost is very reasonable at $320 +GST.

I am not sure how it would handle Tasmanian conditions but it might be worth a try.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:33 am

That's a real nice looking tent. The Vango stuff certainly seems popular enough in the UK, and if it's up to Scottish conditions, it certainly should be up to ours. My wife just bought a vango pack- nice pack, though we've yet to use it in earnest.

I'd be tempted to go for the 2 person tent for 300 more grams though. Plenty of room for gear that way.
the_camera_poser

Postby stu » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for the link Tony, they look pretty good, tho several reviews have canned them based on their low height of 83cm;
pity, looked pretty good otherwise, maybe vestibule a little small?
Hoping Macpac get something ideal together pretty soon!
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: New Macpac tent range coming soon?

Postby r3volution » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 1:30 pm

Here are the facts on the new macpac tent range. We're not expecting any new colours of the microlight, the redesigned free-standing 1 man version of the microlight has been shelved for the time being. We are expecting the the 2 man version of the macrolight (the freestanding design) in over the next 2 months, which will be in the same colour as the microlight and should weigh in at around 2.1 kgs.
r3volution
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 1:32 pm

r3volution wrote:Here are the facts on the new macpac tent range. We're not expecting any new colours of the microlight, the redesigned free-standing 1 man version of the microlight has been shelved for the time being. We are expecting the the 2 man version of the macrolight (the freestanding design) in over the next 2 months, which will be in the same colour as the microlight and should weigh in at around 2.1 kgs.

Thanks for this. Can you let us know where you got that information from?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby r3volution » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 3:56 pm

Actually I work at a macpac store. Not going to say which one. :D
r3volution
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 4:18 pm

r3volution wrote:Actually I work at a macpac store. Not going to say which one. :D

Thanks for letting us know... don't forget that forum rules require you to state your associations with any commercial interest when commenting on products/services you work with.

But more importantly, it's good to know that it's coming from what should be a reliable source. :-) I think readers like to know this, otherwise it might be just another guess based on rumours, etc.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby stu » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 5:37 pm

Pity the 1 person free standing model has been shelved, you would have sold a heap of them.
Do you have any photos of the 2 person macrolight?
2.1 kgs a little lighter than my Minaret (2.6 I think, total) so may be an option?
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby r3volution » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 7:02 pm

Son of a beach: Glad to help make sure there's accurate info out there. I've posted that I work at a macpac store previously, but yeah fair enough mate, you want I should put it in my sig? :)

Stubowling: Yeah, personally I think its a bit of a bummer, a 1 man would have been a nice alternative to the MSR hubba in terms of size & weight. No photos of the new macrolight, though having heard descriptions and seen a product sketch it seems to have a 2 pole set up with each pole arcing across and back to the same side, so you should have 2 pole intersections and way more max headroom than a dome design. It seems a little like the old Fairydown assault/attack tents, but without the third pole across the middle.
r3volution
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby blacksheep » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 1:31 pm

tents are on the way...keep your eyes peeled (and cash in pockets for now) for a great intro deal...
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby stu » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 1:42 pm

Thanks blacksheep, can't wait to check the out!
It's like waiting for Xmas as a child :D
Any pictures yet?
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 2:19 pm

stubowling wrote:Thanks blacksheep, can't wait to check the out!
It's like waiting for Xmas as a child :D
Any pictures yet?

...yes. :wink:
blacksheep

Postby blacksheep » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 2:27 pm

oh, and there is a bit of a surprise addition in the new line up also...something for when you want a bit of room , still want quality (like alloy poles, torrent floor) and stability (using geodesic principals), and when you pack the whole toothbrush (as opposed to the sawn off uber light version...)... you can even sleep in a seperate room under the same roof..
( I must be getting soft, but i can this being my prefferd tent for many trips.)
blacksheep

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 8:28 pm

blacksheep wrote:oh, and there is a bit of a surprise addition in the new line up also...something for when you want a bit of room , still want quality (like alloy poles, torrent floor) and stability (using geodesic principals), and when you pack the whole toothbrush (as opposed to the sawn off uber light version...)... you can even sleep in a seperate room under the same roof..
( I must be getting soft, but i can this being my prefferd tent for many trips.)

Age has a way of softening you up. My wife and I actually discussed the pros and cons of owning a caravan the other day. 20 years ago I would never have dreamed of even camping within 5 miles of caravans.
the_camera_poser

Postby blacksheep » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 10:45 am

TCP- a caravan is going a bit too far for me...being able to get dressed standing up is a wonderful thing tho.
blacksheep

Postby north-north-west » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 7:51 pm

That's what the space outside the tent is for.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Mulga » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:30 am

Any news yet. Are the new tents on the shelves or what :?:

For one thing Macpac's www playing up abit. I need info
Mulga
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Jellybean » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:40 am

Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mulga » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 3:05 pm

I just spoke to Macpac in Brisbane. Mid October the new range will be launched. Unfortunatley no more Celeste in the range :cry:
Mulga
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment