Sleeping mat advise request

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleeping mat advise request

Postby wobbly » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:59 am

Hi
I'm planning to move "up" from closed cell sleeping mat to a self inflating mat but I'm a tad concerned about durability or more specifcally holing it. I'd appreciate any opinions or advise either generally or specific to particular brands or models- especially which ones to avoid or which ones have seemed to last forever.

I think my priorites are
1. durability - resitistance to holing and ease of repair
2. weight and space- i'd probably go 3/4 or even smaller to cut down on these
3. comfort, they seem to come bumpy, thin or thick, does it make much of a difference?
4. cost

thanks
Peter
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Sleeping mat advise request

Postby flyfisher » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi Wobbly, I have an Exped downmat 7 and as it is still quite new I can't comment on its durability, but it is great to sleep being 70mm thick.
Not cheap though at around $225 in Hobart

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Darren » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 5:50 pm

G'Day Wobbly
I have a thermarest prolite 4 short and a montbell ul 90.The prolite is a little thicker but the montbel is lighter more durable and has a great pillow that attaches to it. It is also available in a few lengths 90 is 90cm. Try prolite gear in the US. i have bought a lot from them and they have been very helpful and much cheaper than our local shops
Hope that helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 6:23 pm

At the moment I am using either the Prolite 4 or an Insulmat Max Thermo but when it gets colder I go back to the Exped Downmat 7.
I have had 3 mats failing on me, one Artiac and two Thermarest , but all of them either testing them at home or after one or two uses. After that i have had no failures. So my point is test them before you go bush. BTW, I don't use them outside the tent. For summer use I am now waiting for the Thermarest Neo Air.
I always have some Sil Net and a small nylon patch with me.
Franco.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby shannan » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:58 pm

Thermorests are definitely worth the money. I've had mine for four years and have treated it shamefully badly but it's never let me down, even over 60 days of continuous use on the Bibulmum track (including use as a cushion at lunch times). I would however advocate getting a full length one, I've used the 3/4 ones and sure they're slightly lighter but I really noticed the the lack of cushioning on my knees (because you inevitably end up slipping down the mat over the night thanks to the nylon sleeping bags!)
You're hips and shoulders will be forever grateful for the investment!
shannan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dee_legg » Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:17 am

You should have a look at the Trail Pro series by Thermarest- basically just a new range of thicker (5cm) and more durable thermarests that are still light weight. 910g for a full length, 5 cm thickness and with the 'tough skin' outer.
Have a look at the website for more details but i'd same most shops in Hobart that already stock thermarests should be able to get one in if you know what you want.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mattanitah » Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:26 am

G'day
I use the Exped downmat 7 and I get a great nights sleep out of it, I have had mine for 6 months but have used it heaps and no troubles yet, but it is still relatively new so I cannot say how long it will last. It is a touch expensive, but I think if you can afford it, it is defiently worth getting the down filled mat really comfy and warm

Cheers
mattanitah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Sun 15 Feb, 2009 3:48 pm

I am an Exped 7 short convert. Best sleep I have had in the bush. I have had mine for about 18 months.
Now comes the rub - down started coming out of the valves . I have had to return it to supplier and am waiting for a decision. I have spoken to a couple of sales people at other shops as well and they have never heard of this happening before. Luckily this happened on the last morning of an 8 day walk. I was only just able to deflate the mat.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby I Am The Ant » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 9:07 am

I have the Thermarest Prolite 4 (Women's Version) and it is ridiculously warm. I've only used it a couple of times, but in my opinion it works very well. Just this weekend I used it in my tent during extremely heavy rain, and I was actually too warm, and didn't need to use a sleeping bag at all. The Prolite series packs up small, weighs around 600g, and is self-inflating.

And I bought it from a supplier on eBay for a fraction of the RRP.

Ant..
I Am The Ant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby woka » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:02 pm

I've just bought a Pacific Outdoor Ether Thermo-6, the long version as I'm 6'2". I've only used it once, so it's a bit hard to comment.

I doubt it will insulate enough when it's *really* cold, but it's very comfortable. It's more durable than I thought it would be, I felt like I had to be a bit careful with it, but I didn't treat it with kid gloves by any means. It comes with a repair kit (maybe that's a bad omen!).

I love the way it packs down to virtually nothing and it only weighs 620gms.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:02 pm

One thing i forgot to mention. I also carry a piece of 1/8 latex foam that i use as a sit pad by day and it goes under my legs at night for warmth. I woud never use the prolite as a seat outside. My wife has a prolite 3 long and i used it las year and had 6" of snow and was toasty. I must admit it was heaps more comforatable than my set ups.
Check out viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1730 to see my regular setup
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby loric » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:28 pm

G'day,

I have used the same Thermarest 'lite' for the last 13-14 years, never had a problem. (and i've used it as a sit mat around camp - rough coloured side down)
It's pretty thin, so only good for sleeping on your back.

I bought a 'normal' thickness Thermarest for the missus - she's used that for the last 5 years. But didn't find it particularly comfy as she sleeps on her side.
For the last year or so, she's been using an Exped Downmat7.
She likes that one the most. It's heavy however (full length version), but she reckons that the better night's sleep is worth it.
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ciaran » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 6:52 pm

I,ve had a thermarest guidelite for many years now and never had a problem with it. I,m going to do the Mt. Anne circuit in late march so I thought I would treat myself to an upgrade ( seeing that I am getting a little older now), and popped into Snowy,s and got myself a downmat7. They priced in at $225.00 but got this one on sale and scored 20% off. ($180.00).

So Wobbly if you are keen on the downmat7 and you have a Snowy,s in your town, you can save yourself $45.00 and the cost will be much the same as any Thermarest mat.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ciaran » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 6:56 pm

.......by the way sale ends sunday 22nd febuary.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wobbly » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'd never even heard of the exped but they do sound very comfortable. I'll check them out - and the thermarests of course. Its good to hear that they are pretty tough.

cheers
Peter
wobbly

Postby under10kg » Fri 06 Mar, 2009 11:43 am

I have given up on the above style mats and gone for a light blow up big anes clear view mummi. I combine this with a thin insulating mat for extra insulation in Tasi and can sleep right through the night for the first time ever while walking. Super comfortable and I blow it up with a big agnes dry bag so not to get moisture in the mat. The mat rolls up to a very small bag.
Pretty cheap at $40 or so too. I have had no issues with punctures to date but carry some tape just in case.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Speculator » Tue 10 Mar, 2009 8:04 pm

I have a DMH Hike-Lite. Next time I'm considering leaving it out and sleeping on some rocks instead. I'm sure I'll be more comfortable!
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby rsser » Sun 15 Mar, 2009 7:23 am

I bought one of the original Thermarests and it lasted for 25 years or more. Not sure whether they're still as durable.

Now I use an Exped Synmat which is thick enough to allow sleeping on my side. V. comfy. Cheaper and easier to inflate than a Downmat and close to a 7 in insulation IIRC. Drawback is that when you sit or squat on it you hit the ground. And when snow camping that's chilly.
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment