Inner wicking sock

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Inner wicking sock

Postby moldyform » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi
im wondering if these alpha socks i bought would be ok for wearing under my holeproof explorer socks.
The package says that they are made from bamboo/polyester/elastane/nylon. and spacifically says they wicks away moisture.

Cheers
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Inner wicking sock

Postby spider » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 11:45 pm

I wear a wicking sock under my Explorers. I think the brand is Wilderness. They seem to do the job although I do have Gore-Tex lined boots. They are thin enough not to feel like you are wearing two pairs of socks. They do have a seam that could potentially cause blisters but I have never had a problem.
spider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby freemandale » Sat 28 Mar, 2009 7:23 pm

I only ever wear a sock liner. As my feet seem to swell when walking (It can be hot going!), a thin sock seems to be enough. I have tried 'ordinary' socks but the wicking quality of liners if far superior. Bushwalking socks are far too thick and warm for me although I always carry a pair for night/camp socks.
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby corvus » Sat 28 Mar, 2009 11:10 pm

If your inner socks have a distinct seam wear them inside out ,works for me :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby SurferShane » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 11:28 am

Just posted this reply above in another sock thread – has anyone else experienced the same problems with synthetic wicking style socks aggravating blisters?

“Due the warmer temperatures and gortex lined boots, for a while I was using coolmax style synthetic liners. However, on the walks where I had the synthetic material against my feet I found I experienced unusually severe blisters. In the past, I always have used wool soxs. While I have had the odd minor blister, I have never experienced anything as painful as with the synthetic material.

I have used the more expensive wool and wool blend socks and usually go pail at the price. Recently though I have been using the Holeproof Explorers with the cooper additive that prevents bacteria and odours. Considering the price and availability at supermarkets they seem to be extremely comfortable and have a long life span. On walks I wear double socks and rotate the inner with a spare on extended trips.

If I was going to go back to a liner sock I feel I would personally by merino and avoid the synthetic variety?
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby moldyform » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 11:41 am

All i wear for an inner sock now is the synthetic type. No blisters for me so far! The ype ive got have bamboo in them??
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jasica » Mon 04 May, 2009 6:25 pm

Nice Tip keep it up
jasica
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby robl » Fri 08 May, 2009 2:35 pm

robl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Fri 08 May, 2009 3:35 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Abigail » Mon 06 Jul, 2009 5:17 pm

sounds so delicious! Thanks
Abigail
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jerreldulay » Wed 08 Jul, 2009 5:04 pm

If you are wearing layers on your feet, remember to make sure that you are not strangling your feet. Lack of blood circulation to your feet can never be a good thing. I've only used wool socks to wick sweat, and they seem to the do the job. Good luck! :)
Looking for a reliable, friendly bushwalking partner in the Sydney area? Send me an email!
jerreldulay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment