Looking for a new pack??

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Looking for a new pack??

Postby moldyform » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 10:06 am

Hi,
I am looking for a pack to replace my black wolf bag which isnt coping with the extra weight needed for an extended walk.

Can anyone recomend a pack thats around 80-90 L and around the $250 mark?

Cheers
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Looking for a new pack??

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 10:42 am

Please see the following existing forum topics for lots of information on back packs:
Let us know if you have any further questions after reading through these. :-)

I use a One Planet Strezlecki and am very happy with it. However, if I was buying again, I'd get a One Planet McMillan instead, and would highly recommend either of the two. Several other people on these forums use one or the other of these packs.
A lot of people on these forums use Wilderness Equipment packs and are very happy with them.
Mac Pac are also very good, I believe, and used by some people on these forums.

These 3 brands are all strong, with good harnesses and good reputations, and all have large capacity models.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby moldyform » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks for that, Looks like the One Planets are the top line bag to get. Unfortunatly its a bit above my price range.

My brother has just bought a Lowe Alpine pack called a Fronteria i think. I tried it and feels ok. Has anyone got any feedback on these packs or any lowe Alpine packs?? The local hike shop, Bush Craft, seems to stock a lot of the Lowe Alpine gear which is why he got it.
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Darren » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 1:22 pm

G'Day
You might want to look at Osprey. They are quite a bit lighter than canvas packs but are still a conventional pack design. Online they are cheaper than the canvas ones too.
hope that helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 5:17 pm

Whatever you end up getting, let us know what you end up deciding on and why, and then after you've used it for real, give us a review. We can all do with a bit of education about different products. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby moldyform » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 6:56 am

okydoke
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ciaran » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 5:50 pm

just bought the Osprey Argon 70lt. I've taken it out on two day walks and one weekender. Had a bit of discomfort with the harness fit but I think this is sorted.

If anyone is going to purchase one, then I'd recommend the following;
the harness is a moulded fit and done in the shop. It's put in a heater box and heated to a soft consistency for around 15 to 20 mins and then you wear the harness around the shop putting pressure on the belt to simulate the wieght of the pack for 10mins or so. I did this and found it hard to guess what the pack position and wieght would be. So I developed some sore spots in the first walks. I took the harness off the pack and warmed it again in the dryer, reatached it to the full pack and wore it around the house for15mins. On the overnight walk it was much more comfortable. So if you can, make sure that you pack your pack as if you were heading out on a walk and don't do the shop simulation. You might save yourself some grief.

Just put up a post that I am doing the Mt Anne Circuit this week ( weather permitting), either way the pack will get a five day workout somewhere in Tassie. Let you all know how it goes.
:wink:
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby moldyform » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 12:05 pm

Ended up buying the Lowe Alpine Fronteria pack, 90L. Fits very well. Only comment at this stage is the difficulty to do up the zip that separates the bottom area from the top. no big deal though as i wont be using it any how.

Hope to take it for a few days this weekend or perhaps the next.

cheers
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lyndoor » Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:27 pm

Ciaran wrote:just bought the Osprey Argon 70lt.

I bought an Osprey Xenon 70lt which is designed for women. I went through the same process of moulding in the shop. At the time I thought that hands on hips was not going to simulate a fully laden pack pulling directly down at the back. Sure enough, the moulding bit into my derriere cheeks on my first serious use of it. Got it sorted with a bit of adjustment.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the pack. I bought this one because a friend had a similar one & recommended it, was comfortable to wear, lightweight & a big improvement on my trusty old Droite!

Pros:
Good curved shoulder strap design
Has a good simple torso adjustment & many other pack adjustments
Seems to distribute the weight better
Lighter in weight (but not the lightest pack)
Comfortable to wear & carry (when you sort out the moulding!)
Men's & Women's design
Height adjustable lid, detaches & turns into "bum bag" (only any use with light items eg: waterproofs)
Internal detachable hydration pak pocket that converts into small backpack (again only use with light items eg: small/half filled drink bottle & scroggin)
-together detachables look bl%@dy ridiculous but they do work if you are off on a side trip & want to leave your big pack behind
Brand has a good reputation
Elasticized outer pouches (easier access to drink bottles, etc)
Has several unobtrusive outside pockets & pouches
Big, easy to grab zipper loops (great in the wet/cold)
Can access pack from top, middle & bottom
Frame is designed with a head cut away (curve) to allow freedom of movement

Cons:
Metal frame curves into pack area causing things to catch when pulling out (solution - stuff bags)
Too many straps hanging about & nowhere to fold away excess
Not really waterproof - rain cover extra
Cost(?) $430-ish
Colour (lovely burnt orange but not good for standout safety reasons - if I'm lost or hurt, I want to be found not camouflaged!)

Hope this helps anyone considering one. :)

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ciaran » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:30 pm

Good report there lyndoor,

could'nt agree more with this report. I ended up cutting the loops from the pack all together as I found they can catch on branches and the like. You are right with the straps too , they are too long in most cases and you end up tieing them into knots around the pack Don't think much of the external pockets, but I am one who likes to keep EVERYthing on the inside. I've always believed that no pack is waterproof so pack liners are a must for me.
I am also not a great fan of the removable day pack, a bum bag is not ideal in my opinion. they tend to end up around your backside , so constant reajustments are needed.
Can't fault the comfort in the harness though which is paramount for me.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby lyndoor » Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:07 pm

Yeah, Ciaran, on the same page with your comments.

Can't understand why Osprey didn't go further with their hydration pak design & turn it into a small light-weight day pack. Or even give the bum bag fold-away shoulder straps. I have tried to convert but without any success... :?

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment