paddymade water bucket

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

paddymade water bucket

Postby johnjam » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 9:04 pm

G'day everyone
I just stumbled across this site last week while I was researching 2 man UL tents .
It looked like a great site so I joined !
I live in Sydney , and In a nutshell , I was into a bit of bushwalking and rockclimbing when I was a young bloke , but then dropped out what with work and family etc .
Still took the boys away occassionaly , but it was pretty spasmodic .
Anyhow , now I'm an old fart , and got more a bit more time , I'm slowly getting back into things .
And I've still got stuff from 40 yrs ago !
The reason for this message is that I still have my Paddy Pallin water bucket .
You older blokes would remember these . It's made out of Japara , has a zipper on top , and two handles , and holds about six litres .
They were supposed to ooze a bit of water ,so the outside was always wet , and the evapourating water would cool the water inside .
Trouble is , this buckets just like me , and showing it's age .
Instead of the water oozing out , it leaks out pretty quickly .
There's no physical wear / damage / abrasion to the material , it's more like the japara has forgotten to swell when wet ( and I've soaked it for days in a tub trying to revive it )
I rang up Paddys ( and another store ) to ask advice , but they basically suggested I throw it away , and buy a new plastic one .
Trouble is , I haven't used it that much , but I have used it for forty years and I'm attached to it .
Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can revive it , or oil it , or externally coat it , or whatever ?
Thanks John
johnjam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: paddymade water bucket

Postby corvus » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 9:32 pm

You could use if you can find it the re coating cream for Japarrah which from memory really stank (metho and lanolin ??) or chance the poisons in "Atsko Silcone Water Guard (by Sno Seal) " great to waterproof packs ,or just get over it and hang it up for display because why would you need a 6 lt water bucket now , I had the one that hung from the front of the 4wd worked on the same principal I also used an external H framed pack, an A framed tent and lit fires to cook on ,from one old fart to an other times have changed :D
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby tas-man » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:14 am

Welcome aboard John from another "old fart" 8)
I donated my 1970's NZ oilskin japara and Paddy Pallin oilskin water bucket to Launceston's Queen Victoria Museum when I first moved to Tassie in 1994. That year they had mounted a local exhibition of Bushwalking History and Equipment, and were calling for items to be donated to expand their collection. My Japara jacket was getting tatty but the water bucket was still in good condition, but was unused for many years. I used to reproof my japara oilskin every summer with a mix of linseed and terebrin (approx. 9 parts linseed : 1 part terebrin I think) and then hang it out in the sun for a few days to let the linseed "set" and become dry enought to put away. If your Paddy water bucket is japara, you can reproof it this way and it will continue to serve you well! Here's a Paddy Palling 1970 catalogue page that shows the item for all those "young 'uns" that have grown up in the age of gortex and wine bladders :P

PaddyPallin1970.jpg
Paddy Pallin equipment catalogue C1970
Last edited by tas-man on Thu 02 Apr, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 8:49 am

I'm a (relative) youngster and have only seen these buckets in use once on a winter trip where I discovered their cold weather shortcomings. It had been left outside on the verandah of new new Pelion Hut overnight (can't leave it inside, as it seeps water slowly). Not only had the water inside frozen over on top, but the entire thing was frozen solid on the outside, couldn't be opened, and was actually frozen to the deck like it had been welded there!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby sthughes » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 9:14 am

Here's a Paddy Palling 1970 catalogue page that shows the item for all those "young 'uns" that haver grown up in the age of gortex and wine bladders :P

You "old farts" had it so easy! A top of the range sleeping bag for only $35.35! It cost me almost that much for a good pair of socks the other day! :lol:
Did you buy your cheap wine in canvas buckets to? :P
But really though - an empty wine bladder weighs nothing and packs up to next to nothing - way to go I reckon :wink: .
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:28 pm

I have one of those. Used it only recently. Attracted some comments. I note that I have the de-luxe model; it comes complete with zip closure. A bargain at $2.25!
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 7:03 pm

This is a picture of my Paddymade water bucket but I think it is from the 80's.
water bag.JPG
water bag.JPG (35.44 KiB) Viewed 12924 times

The second picture is of my Oily Japara Jacket which I brought from Paddys Canberra in 1975, I still have a one person nylon A frame tent which I also got from Paddys at the same time, the tent weighs in at for the time a super light 1 kg. In 1975 I spent three months tramping in New Zealand mainly South Island, I lived out of my pack and tent, the highlight of the trip was, I spent a week in the wilds of Stewart Is.
Oily Japara Jacket.JPG
Oily Japara Jacket.JPG (66.76 KiB) Viewed 12923 times

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 7:56 am

Good to see you've go the Trangia set up in the shed ready to make a cuppa any time you need it, Tony. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 2:22 pm

Ah there was nothing quite like the smell of one of those jackets. Sadly mine is long gone. I still have my Paddymade wall tent though. Bought it for my first Tassie trip- The Western Arthurs in 1978 I think it was. Ah those were the days. Ian Crawford came on that trip. Sadly he was lost a few years later during a flash flood in Claustral Canyon.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Singe » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 3:02 pm

tas-man wrote:Here's a Paddy Palling 1970 catalogue page that shows the item for all those "young 'uns" that have grown up in the age of gortex and wine bladders :P

"A boon in camp"

If there were a Boon in camp, I reckon you'd want six liters of beer, not water ;)
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnjam » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks for the tip Tas man . I'll have a go at reproofing it for old times sake .
But *&%$#! hell , you really make a bloke feel old , telling him his toys are now in a museum !
As a matter of fact , re the Paddy Pallin ad ,I still have all that stuff from the 60's ! My Hotham sleeping bag is pretty tatty and the zipper is almost fallen off , but its still handy as a warm throw-over rug . The A frame tent is still in good condition , and I still have the old H frame pack I bought in the 60' second hand !
But I'm not a complete Luddite !
I actually planned to get back into Bushwalking etc about 4 years ago , but various injuries have made it a bit of a slow process . You know how it is -three steps forward and two steps back .
But in the meantime I've been building up my stock of new gear via birthday and chrissie presents . ( It pays to tell them exactly what you want ) My sons have bought me a One Planet pack , and some Scarpa boots , and my girlfriend bought me a Macpac sleeping bag . And recently I pointed out to her that I was more use to her alive rather than dead , and so she bought me a Steripen !
And I've just ordered a UL tent from the US .
So I'm slowly coming into the 20th century .
Whoops . I mean the 21st century .
Cheers John
johnjam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sthughes » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 11:24 am

Looks like buckets are making a come back. Here's a new one that looks to be in the spirit of the the old canvas ones... http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/72
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby juney » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 9:53 am

My local Paddy Pallin (Brisbane) has a couple of these old style water buckets.....only they're full of sand and used as 5kg weights for pack fitting. It'd never occured to me that they had a previous purpose. I feel so "younger generation". Love seeing the old catalogues.
Cheers,
Juney.
juney
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby juney » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Johnjam,
Just had a thought. There is a spray on nikwax product called "wax cotton proof" it was $24.95 for 300ml (a few months ago). the label says "ideal for Barbuor and Driza-Bone". I think Barbour is japarra. Should be ideal.
Cheers,
Juney.
juney
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby rcaffin » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 8:42 pm

I still have my Paddy-made water bucket and my Paddy Pallin green japara 2-man wall tent - both in good condition.
Both retired though.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 8:52 am

Hi Roger,

rcaffin wrote:I still have my Paddy-made water bucket and my Paddy Pallin green japara 2-man wall tent - both in good condition.
Both retired though.

Cheers

Some pictures please.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 11:39 am

Tony wrote:Hi Roger,

Some pictures please.

Tony

My thoughts exactly... I'd love to see some pictures of these in use, if you have some old shots handy.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment