Day Packs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Day Packs

Postby stoogest » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi all,

I've noticed there are a lot of threads that discuss overnight packs, but haven't found one yet that discusses day packs. The last few day walks I have done I have taken my Macpac 75L Casacade and I'm finding it is way too big/heavy for this type of activity (no surprise there really!).

Can anyone recommend a good day pack?

I've been very happy with the Cascade, so I would be particularly interested if anyone has used the Macpac Traverse 35L pack? In your experience is 35L on the large side?

Key requirements would be:
- comfortable
- light (not necessarily ultralight though)
- some way of securely attaching a heavyish tripod (190XProB)
- obviously, enough room to store waterproof jacket, water bottle, jumper, food, camera (SLR with kit lens) and other essentials.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!
Andrew.
Photographer and bushwalker
For hiking trails we've completed around the world: Fork and Foot
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Day Packs

Postby johnw » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 9:38 pm

I recently bought an Aarn Natural Exhilaration to replace one of my tired old packs. Still getting used to it/working it out but I'm quite impressed so far. Very innovative and It's definitely the most comfortable day pack I've owned. Has a number of attachment methods for securing external gear. It's about 33 litres and I don't find it too large (and only have small P&S camera gear). A first for me, I haven't had any shoulder or back aches even on reasonably long walks :). The pack moves in sync with your body even when climbing up and down steep terrain. Also see the thread below, I didn't buy the balance pockets and not sure yet if I want or need them.

http://www.bushwalkaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1038&p=8540&hilit=exhilaration#p8540

http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/natural_exhilaration.html
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby stoogest » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 9:47 pm

'Interesting' is certainly the word!! Looks like it is getting some good reviews.
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:26 pm

G'Day
Have a look at a golite ion. I use it for overnighters. its made of dynema so its strong, light too
Hope that helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 10:32 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:11 am

I haven't had success taking a fullsize tripod in a day pack.
My old Macpac Ravine 65L pack does well - very comfy and no probs with the tripod.
I also have the Cascade now, pity they have taken a dive with quality, less than 12 months old and several holes already.
I prefer the softer more pliable Macpac Ravine of 20 years age to the new Cascade for day walks.
Perhaos you would have better luck looking for a smaller overnight pack of lesser quality and weight than a pack the likes of the Cascade?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Ent » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 3:28 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stoogest » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 8:52 pm

I had a look at the One PLanet Traverse on the weekend and I don't think it will be big enough.

I also had a look at the Macpac Traverse. I think I'm leaning towards that at the moment. The only thing I'm unsure of is how tough the bungee strap on the front of the bag is. ie. will it securely hold the tripod and last a reasonable anount of time before requiring replacement?

Has anyone had experience with the bungee straps?
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby under10kg » Mon 20 Apr, 2009 1:12 pm

I have used aarn packs and they are great. The front balance pockets really work for me in balancing the load and make it very easy to access a camera etc without taking the pack off. I am aarns brother but make no cash recommending his packs.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment