backpacks and aeroplanes

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

backpacks and aeroplanes

Postby scubabob » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:30 pm

I'm going up to the Blue Mountains next month for a few days or so - because work comittments wont allow me to do the OT. I intend to fly up (staying with my sister) as its quicker and easier. Thing is, my Black Wolf backpack has, like all backpacks, straps hanging all over the place, plus i keep a couple of things on the outside - decent length of rope, whistle, strobe, etc. Now having worked at an international airport i have seen what happens to backpacks and all the associated hanging straps that arent tucked away - they dont survive terribly well. So, the question is, what do you put your backpack in to keep it nice and safe while being so gently handled by baggage handlers and their machinery?
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: backpacks and aeroplanes

Postby Darren » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 8:28 pm

G'Day
I get 2 of those striped bags from the cheap shop and double them over my pack. Then I use heaps of duct tape and wrap it around and then strengthen the handles. On the way home I reverse the bags and repeat. No probs so far
Hope that helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dee_legg » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 8:10 am

Not sure about price but this would definitely do the job.
http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetail.php?Code=APCON
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby sthughes » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 9:14 am

I have a large (120l I think) Columbia Sportswear duffle bag I put my pack in along with whatever else. On arrival it compacts down to it's own not too large netting bag and stashes away.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:10 am

A few times I've used doubled garden waste bags secured with packaging tape. Leave the pack haul/grab handle free. This works but it takes time and is tedious to set up and remove. Last return trip from Tassie I couldn't be bothered. I just secured down all parts of the harness as close as possible to the pack body and tucked away all straps etc. I have a WE pack which allows the hip components to be swung up out of the way almost flat against the pack. This worked just as well as the garbage bag idea and was a lot quicker and simpler. No problems or damage. I was actually inspired by watching someone at the checkin queue in Sydney kick their Macpac Cascade along the floor in front of me, straps trailing everywhere :shock:.
Last edited by johnw on Wed 15 Apr, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kramster » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:55 pm

I did some investigation last year for taking my pack overseas
You might find the following post useful :)
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=848
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 2:28 pm

I usually use an old North Face Snow Leopard 2 when travelling/backpacking. It was sold to me as an ice climbers pack thus it has the necesary 50million straps all over it. Also a very robust and heavy pack at 3.5kg or thereabouts from memory. Ive been on many plane trips throughout the world and no hassles with straps yet. All I do before boarding is tuck the ends of straps as much as possible; pull the harness straps as tight as possible to tuck the harness into the main body and lastly do the same with the waist belt. If I have anything on the outside of the pack its strapped by three straps to the side (tent and/or mat).
As for your whistle, strobe and other small items on the outside of your pack, I would locate them inside the pack for the plane journey. The rope should be fine as long as its strapped down by minimum 3 straps and not messy.

If I was travelling with a light weight non-framed pack such as what Golite make, I would buy a specially designed tough bag that can be put over your pack and has handles for the handlers to grab.

How I view it is in the eyes of a 'stupid' baggage handler (yes I know all baggage handlers are not stupid :roll: ), how do i make my pack easy for them to grab and how do I make my pack so they cannot damage it.
Hope this helps.
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 3:11 pm

Just came back from Queensland again.
At the airport checkin, they place the pack in a large tray on their converyor belt.

I clip up the waist strap and chest strap, and then tie all the long straps into a reef knot, never too hard to undo.
Haven't had any problems, yet...
I saw one pack on the converyor belt inside what looked like a pack cover but fully enclosed.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Singe » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:32 am

I've never had any problems with straps and clips, but have had both frame stays bent - not much you can do to prevent that though!
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nothingwmn » Tue 21 Apr, 2009 3:33 pm

I've taken my large, 90+l Arc'teryx pack all over the world on both bushwalking & regular trips & have never had a problem. Of course, everything that is normally hanging off the outside (ie--first aid kit) is packed inside beforehand & I do up all the clips & tuck or tie any particularly long straps. It is usually packed pretty tightly as well, so I can't even imagine the staves breaking or bending! Otherwise, I believe certain airlines will provide large, heavy duty plastic bags to pop over the top.
nothingwmn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Kainas » Tue 21 Apr, 2009 5:42 pm

I bought a bag for my pack from a camping store.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment