What type of Warmth layer to get?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

What type of Warmth layer to get?

Postby moldyform » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi

Going to buy some kind of warm jumper. Just wondering if i should be getting a synthetic or natural type?

Synthetic should dry quicker? Is there any advantages in gettign a natural material?

Cheers
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: What type of Warmth layer to get?

Postby Ent » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 3:06 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby r3volution » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:20 pm

I recently went through the same debate, and ended up buying a jumper made of Polartec Thermalpro, seems a fair bit warmer than a 100 weight polarfleece, but with similar bulk and only a little heavier. The issue with wool at that sort of weight and density is that if it gets wet, it weighs a ton, and it won't dry out too quickly. While this is rarely a problem for wool thermals as they're thinner, once you're up to a serious merino midlayer, it becomes a big issue. I usually wear my thermalpro jumper under a softshell though (not the fleecy type of softshell though) as its not that great for wind resistance.
r3volution
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:29 pm

moldyform wrote:Hi

Going to buy some kind of warm jumper. Just wondering if i should be getting a synthetic or natural type?

Synthetic should dry quicker? Is there any advantages in gettign a natural material?

Cheers

What do you mean exactly by "jumper" as that can make a big difference as to what to recommend :D
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby moldyform » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 8:45 am

I ended up getting one very similar to this one.

http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_ ... 6&type=man

Thanks guys.
moldyform
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dee_legg » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 10:19 am

I think that polarfleece is the way to go when looking for warmth... merino is great for thin layers to use when active but for warmth to weight polarfleece is definitely the way to go.
A couple of good brands and models are:
Wilderness Wear: They make some really great, basic fleeces with full and mid length zip with 200 and 300 weight polartech fleece.
Mont: The Slinx top is iconic... great fitted look, never piles, and super warm

Hope this helps!
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Macca81 » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:09 pm

dee_legg wrote:I think that polarfleece is the way to go when looking for warmth... merino is great for thin layers to use when active but for warmth to weight polarfleece is definitely the way to go.
A couple of good brands and models are:
Wilderness Wear: They make some really great, basic fleeces with full and mid length zip with 200 and 300 weight polartech fleece.
Mont: The Slinx top is iconic... great fitted look, never piles, and super warm

Hope this helps!

sure it looks great on you dee, but i doubt so much on someone as myself who doesnt have a figure worth looking at in close fitting clothes :P i do like that top tho i must say
geoskid wrote:nothing but the best of several brands will do :)
Macca81
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Herbalife

Postby dee_legg » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:32 pm

you'd be surprised macca.. i've seen it on some ugly buggers and it does wonders!
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment