One Planet Cocoon 500

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One Planet Cocoon 500

Postby lyndoor » Sun 03 May, 2009 2:42 pm

Just thought I'd give a review on my recently purchased Sbag, One Planet Cocoon 500 (reg).
I was going for lightweight warmth. I have tested it by the Mersey at Pine Hut recently where we had heavy overnight frosts, rain & good weather.

PROS
Has compression bag (27.5cmx15cm / 4 litres) which can be compacted down to about 20cmx15cm
Goose down filling 800+ loft
Weighs 831g
Mummy shape
Drawcord at head
Internal pocket
Two hanging tabs on outside at feet to store away
Glow in the dark zip pulls
Anti snag zipper cover
Rated: 0 to -6deg (3/4 season)
V-shaped baffles
Lightweight & compact
After some use in sweaty conditions, no odour (so far!)
No escaping feathers with the Vapour Vent fabric used!

CONS
1/2 zip & no foot zip limits versatility on warmer nights
Down in baffles underneath seem to work away from the centre to outside(result a slightly colder back)
Pull cord at hood hangs in face when gathered

I use a silk liner with this Sbag for extra warmth & to reduce the need to clean. I have been very pleased with it weight & compaction wise. Can get too warm with limited ways to open it up. On the nights with heavy frosts in a tent, I found it took a while to warm up my core body temp after a very cold evening out. It does hug the body well with a mummy shape. Does "feel" damp/cold (but not wet) on top in the mornings but this may have something to do with its type of vapour venting fabric. Priced around $540, it compares well with similar types starting around $700-800.

Cheers
lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: One Planet Cocoon 500

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 03 May, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Lyndoor... thanks heaps for this review.

I was very nearly going to buy one of these to replace my very old J&H (now One Planet) Winterlite. However, I ended up opting for the One Planet Zephyr instead. It is also in their new light weight range, but is marginally heavier than the Cocoon. For the few grams extra I got full length zip, and a separate zip across the feet (really handy for those nights when the feet get hot, like mine sometimes do) and a semi-rectangular shape instead of mummy (I'm a restless sleeper and find the mummy shape a bit too restrictive).

Mine has also been an excellent bag so far (although I've used it very little). I haven't noticed any down moving from under me, however, the down being slept on (directly under your weight) is never any good for insulation anyway, as it doesn't insulate while compressed. This is what a good mat is for. :-) Some bags actually come with no down down the middle of the underside, simply to save weight without compromising too much on insulation (I've not used such bags - do they have a slot for the mat, to make sure it stays in place?).

Of course the down underneath does still provide insulation for those parts of the body that are not directly transferring weight to the ground.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby lyndoor » Fri 08 May, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks Nik. I tend to agree with your reasons for buying the Zephyr. If I'd checked out one of those, I think I would seriously have considered it. I don't won't to put anyone off as I am quite happy with the lightweight (which was important for me) Cocoon but those zippers are a good compromise for bag versatility.

Cheers

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 10 May, 2009 11:28 am

I have had a Cocoon 500 for a year and a half or so - and have been very happy with it. It is a nice warm, light and compact bag.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roysta » Sun 31 May, 2009 4:08 pm

I opted for the Cocoon 400 and have found it to be an excellent bag.
I used it at altitude on a recent trip to Venezuela and Colombia.
Temperatures were typically down to 0 to -3.
I didn't use a liner just thermals and was more than happy.
I can see where someone might not like the three quarter zip concept but I have -15 and a +5 bags for other situations.
800g I like that two.
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Sun 31 May, 2009 4:45 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I ended up opting for the One Planet Zephyr instead. It is also in their new light weight range, but is marginally heavier than the Cocoon. For the few grams extra I got full length zip, and a separate zip across the feet (really handy for those nights when the feet get hot, like mine sometimes do) and a semi-rectangular shape instead of mummy (I'm a restless sleeper and find the mummy shape a bit too restrictive).

Nik, which Zephyr did you get, and have you spent any more time in it? I'm thinking of one of these two bags and looking for any practical information I can get.

Zephyr 400 (+3/-3) is 890g
Zephyr 550 (-1/-7) is 1040g
Cocoon 400 (+2/-4) is 740g
Cocoon 500 (0/-6) is 840g
(according to the OP website)

Kinda like the flexibility of the Zephyr, how far does it compress compared to the Cocoon?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Sun 31 May, 2009 5:08 pm

The Cocoon 400 in its OP compression bag is closer to 800g than 740.
roysta

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 31 May, 2009 5:43 pm

I got the Zephyr 550 (have been getting sick of being too hot in my old Winterlite for years, so opted out of the 700). I spent one more night in it last week. It was a coldish night, near Lake St Clair, but probably not down to zero. The bag performed well, and I'm very happy with it so far.

I can't comment much on comparison to the cocoon, but it certainly compresses more than the very old J&H Winterlite did.

It has glow-in-the-dark zip tags (which I would guess the cocoon also has), and the last time I used it, I noticed that the stuff sack also has a storage sack built into it (ie, a larger sack made of mesh for storing the sleeping bag uncompressed). Note that I don't use the compression straps on the stuff sack and it still doesn't take up as much room as my old bag, but probably would compress it fully if I was short of space in the pack (eg, on a longer walk).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby climberman » Sun 31 May, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for these review notes guys. I am currently 'in the hunt' for a new 4 season bag and the Cocoon, along with the Mont 'Telemakr' and 'Spindrift' bags have been in the running. I am also looking at a Mont-bell, either the #1 or #0, both of which rate well and are low in weight (950 and 1200gms respectively). Thanks for the Zephyr notes sob - it stacks up well also. Also considering getting an extra 100gms of down in the Cocoon.
climberman

Return to Equipment