High altitude and low temperature stove: Alcohol vs Butane

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: High altitude and low temperature stove: Alcohol vs Buta

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 8:52 am

reindeer wrote:I was pondering a gas conversion kit for my Trangia and was pleased to see the above positive comments. (The other option was a Kovea).

The Trangia catalogue indicates there are differnet gas conversion kits. Or does one size fit all?

My Trangia (1 litre pot size) is approaching 20 yrs old, with no hole in side for gas line. There is an indentation in the vents however (approx 2 cm diameter)- I am guessing I would just punch this out?

Thanks

Mine is of a similar vintage without the gas kit hole in the side. I need to enlarge one of the vent holes for this. But until then, I prop the stove up on sticks or cutlery (only needs to be a few mm off the ground to make room for the thin gas hose). Or sometimes the ground is uneven enough for it not to matter anyhow.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Ent » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 2:19 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 5:24 pm

reindeer wrote:I was pondering a gas conversion kit for my Trangia and was pleased to see the above positive comments. (The other option was a Kovea).

The Trangia catalogue indicates there are differnet gas conversion kits. Or does one size fit all?

My Trangia (1 litre pot size) is approaching 20 yrs old, with no hole in side for gas line. There is an indentation in the vents however (approx 2 cm diameter)- I am guessing I would just punch this out?

Thanks

In my old Trangia I needed to drill out an additional hole for the gas line but that was for the very early gas conversion and it came with a diagram as to how to do it,the gas burner should fit into the metho burner hole .
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby corvus » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 5:51 pm

tasadam wrote:Interesting discussion.
My thoughts...

I have always used Shellite stoves, and would very much appreciate you elaborating on your horror stories regarding Shellite.

Priming the shellite stoves is the pyrotechnic bit - once the fuel is pressurised, the tap is opened briefly to allow fuel to the stove head, that is lit to heat the tubing so that the fuel delivery will vaporise and you get a gas-like flame.
If you let too much fuel into the head for priming, you have a little camp fire going there for a while and in windy conditions that can be hazardous. In tent vestubles it is very dangerous. Much experience is required for priming shellite stoves in tent vestubles - it can be done but you want to know the characteristics of your stove pretty well before trying - better to use another option - cook outside or under a tarp is a better option. Or in the case of the Overland track, on the stainless steel counter tops provided at the huts.

An excess of shellite on my last visit to New Pelion hut, and I was able to supplement the room heating by running the stove for a while.

Adam,
The horror stories of inexperience using Shellite burners are myriad, most recent was a couple of months ago at Pelion Hut
where at the Douglas Creek end of the Hut "an experienced ? " walker got a fireball !!, in the middle" heater section" a father with kids in tow managed to have his whisperlite and fuel bottle connection alight at the same time,he only singed his eyebrows but at the time I was running through my bad burn treatment scenario :shock:
With resealable gas cannisters I have never expererienced any problems and no danger of contamination in your pack.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby reindeer » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks All for comments about drilling holes in Trangias for the gas conversion kit. I like the idea of just raising the unit and running the pipe underneath!!

On a related issue about the Trangia gas conversion, the importer says that the fuel to use is 70/30 butane / propane. Is this so, or are other mixtures OK - I would like to use a isobutane/propane mix for snow camping (in VIC). Grateful for any comments, experiences etc relating to fuel mix for the Trangia gas conversion.

THanks

Reindeer
reindeer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 7:09 pm

reindeer wrote:Thanks All for comments about drilling holes in Trangias for the gas conversion kit. I like the idea of just raising the unit and running the pipe underneath!!

On a related issue about the Trangia gas conversion, the importer says that the fuel to use is 70/30 butane / propane. Is this so, or are other mixtures OK - I would like to use a isobutane/propane mix for snow camping (in VIC). Grateful for any comments, experiences etc relating to fuel mix for the Trangia gas conversion.

THanks

Reindeer

Reindeer ,
It is really worthwhile drilling the hole for stability and ease of use,as to gas cannisters any of the cannisters commercially available (Kovea et all) will do the job .
If it is really cold you may need to wrap the cannister in a sock or beanie but the heat exchanger on the burner should take care of this.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby north-north-west » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 8:35 pm

Useful thread, as my Trangia gas burner just arrived, although it has me a bit puzzled. I'd appreciate some feedback from experienced users.

1) The instructions say not to use it with a windshield. How are you supposed to set up the system without the windshield?

2) The diagram in the instructions shows the burner sitting at a 45° angle. Are you really supposed to use it like that?

3) Will removing that tag on the gas line void the warranty and cause the unit to blow up, or am I being paranoid by even noticing the 'DO NOT REMOVE' written on it?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 8:46 am

scavenger wrote:Useful thread, as my Trangia gas burner just arrived, although it has me a bit puzzled. I'd appreciate some feedback from experienced users.

1) The instructions say not to use it with a windshield. How are you supposed to set up the system without the windshield?

2) The diagram in the instructions shows the burner sitting at a 45° angle. Are you really supposed to use it like that?

3) Will removing that tag on the gas line void the warranty and cause the unit to blow up, or am I being paranoid by even noticing the 'DO NOT REMOVE' written on it?

I must have not read the instructions properly... I can't remember the bit about the windshield. With a Trangia, you cannot use it without the windshield, because the windshield and the pot stand are all the one unit. You should write to Trangia and get them to confirm this (and fix their instructions?). I believe that wind shields are generally discouraged for gas use simply because it can heat up the canister too much for the stoves that are mounted directly on top of the cannister. Of course this cannot happen with a Trangia, because the cannister is outside the windshield (connected by the hose).

I can't remember that diagram, but the burner on mine clips into the stand (where the metho burner used to sit) quite snugly at a good flat 0° angle. The diagram may be trying to show that to clip it in, it's easier to put one side in first (at 45°) and then press the burner down once you've got the first side in. Does this sound right?

Just a guess, but I'm fairly confident that removing the tag won't cause it to blow up. :-) It may void the warranty, I guess. It may also cause other users of the burner who've not seen the tag to be ignorant of some of the safety aspects of the system.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 7:55 pm

Son of a Beach wrote: With a Trangia, you cannot use it without the windshield, because the windshield and the pot stand are all the one unit. ... I believe that wind shields are generally discouraged for gas use simply because it can heat up the canister too much for the stoves that are mounted directly on top of the canister. Of course this cannot happen with a Trangia, because the canister is outside the windshield (connected by the hose).

That's kind of how I was thinking. It is rather ambiguously worded, but I think they do just mean to keep the canister outside the windshield.

I can't remember that diagram, but the burner on mine clips into the stand (where the metho burner used to sit) quite snugly at a good flat 0° angle. The diagram may be trying to show that to clip it in, it's easier to put one side in first (at 45°) and then press the burner down once you've got the first side in. Does this sound right?

I was hoping someone would say that. It makes more sense. Of course, I should just try it, but that would mean digging out the stove and unpacking all its various bits and pieces, and I'm feeling lazy tonight.

Just a guess, but I'm fairly confident that removing the tag won't cause it to blow up. :-)

*Phew* I'm so relieved.

It may also cause other users of the burner who've not seen the tag to be ignorant of some of the safety aspects of the system.

Good. 'Cause no-one else should be using it, and if anyone does it'll mean they've nicked it, and if they make it blow up it'll just damn-well serve them right!

Thanks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Previous

Return to Equipment