Screw-in stove question

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Screw-in stove question

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 5:43 pm

Can you put a 2400 ml pot safely on a Kovea butane stove, or would it be too top heavy?
the_camera_poser

Re: Screw-in stove question

Postby dee_legg » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:16 pm

No idea, but you could always construct a diy wind shield out of those silver bbq plate things to fit perfectly under the pot to give support.. except you'll probably want to give it a few air holes. Maybe be worth a try for a few dollars and half an hour.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 12:53 am

the_camera_poser wrote:Can you put a 2400 ml pot safely on a Kovea butane stove, or would it be too top heavy?

Trial and error. I have one billy/pot that is very wide but may not be 2400ml, possibly 1500ml, and a smaller one about 1 litre but narrower and taller. Both work fine with my Kovea butane stove. You always need to be careful anyway because they're generally a bit top heavy even with a small pot. I've never found it a major drama, just due care and attention needed. And make sure it's level as possible. I usually put a small craftwood base underneath the gas canister.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:13 am

Last edited by Nuts on Wed 29 Dec, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:39 am

thanks guys
the_camera_poser

Postby Ent » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 5:40 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:08 pm

dee_legg wrote:No idea, but you could always construct a diy wind shield out of those silver bbq plate things to fit perfectly under the pot to give support.. except you'll probably want to give it a few air holes. Maybe be worth a try for a few dollars and half an hour.

My understanding is wind shields such as this are dangerous as the canister can overheat and potentially explode.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rabbit » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:50 pm

A lot of stability would depend on the width and height of the canister as well I would imagine
rabbit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:54 pm

I always use a wind shield with my Kovea. I just keep a an eye on the warmth of the cannister.
I only use a mug or a small pot. If I am going to be doing a lot of cooking I will open the wind shield wider than if just boiling water in my mug.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 7:06 pm

I tested a kovea titanium stove on a standard bottle with a 16cm ultralight stainless steel billy, and it was definitely too unstable. I ended up going with a Moonwalker Stove instead.

Thanks all!
the_camera_poser

Return to Equipment