Back on bushwalking boots

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Back on bushwalking boots

Postby Ent » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:21 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Back on bushwalking boots

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:39 am

Comfort and durability are my primary deciding factors when choosing boots. Ankle support, stiff soles, and water resistence are lesser considerations. I do not expect any boot to be waterproof but prefer one piece leather to slow the water's entry and to increase strength.

I would buy Zamberlans if they were still availabe in Aus or if I was confindent enough of their sizing to get them online. But I'm currently using Raichle which are also excellent boots. Good boots from brands like this are comfortable from the start and do NOT need 'breaking in'. I got the Raichles from Mountain Designs in Lton (in their old York st location). I think they still carry them.

Note that the water/mud being deeper than the boots is not necessarily a good reason for track dodging. That would be against the principles if minimal impact walking. :) Although waist deep may be worth a detour. ;) I expect to walk with wet feet for at least some distance on most walks with wet tracks.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:48 am

PS. My current boots are leather but lined with goretex only because I couldn't find any good boots without goretex at the time. The goretex does a good job at keeping the boots dry for longer but also makes them too hot. So hot that I generally avoid using them for daily use (eg at work or in town) whereas I used to wear my old ones everywhere. And the feet are eventually going to get wet anyhow once I get to a deep section of water or mud.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 12:16 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 12:29 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 1:22 pm

Brett wrote:Good point on the hot feet syndrome. I have read this one on quite a few reviews for reason to avoid Goretex lined leather boots but never had a "real" person make a comment on this and confirm what is claimed in review sites. Nice that I can now be a bit more trusting of internet reviews.

Similarly it's good to hear that it's not just me. I was not sure if it was in fact the goretex or some other element of the design. But I had suspected the goretex from the start.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gorby » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 7:27 pm

biggest problem I have with bushwalking boots is the lack of width.(euro styling,sizing?)If I go one size bigger then I find that my foot moves around too much.
This means that I wear the unmentionable type that frequents industrial sites :wink: and find that the magnetic style toe surround works well in slowing water coming through :D
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 8:19 pm

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 8:39 pm

I wandered around Paddies for half a day trying to convince myself that scarpas were comfortable. Gave up, tried a pair of Garmonts comfortable from the start, salesman tried to talk me into trying on another brand, I said why bother these are comfortable.
Garmonts are starting to come to the end of their life and am dreading having to get another pair of boots. Garmont only make my old boot with gortex now and I dont want gortex.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:16 pm

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:27 pm

Full leather.
A hint that I have used too make my boots last a bit longer.
I run freesole around where the leather joins the rubber and make a small toe cap with it also
Keeps grit from getting between the rubber and leather
Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:29 pm

Brett,
Funny you mention Scarps being good for width when I found them too narrow and for years used Full Leather Garmont's( two pair) which were perfect and did not require "breaking in", when I recently looked to update I dicovered Garmont were now made in China so I needed to look elsewhere for a boot that was made in Europe .
After some research I found AKU Lagoria GTX full leather and whilst now being manufactured in Romania they still have the Italian design and despite not fitting like a glove for a few walks they now suit my feet,Gortex lined no choice however have not experienced the hot foot syndrom and have had the pleasure on recent walks to remain dry shod owing to good Gaiters and having the luck not to slip into creeks above their 160mm ( shortest hight at back of the heel) even knee deep snow has not caused a problem which I suspect may have something to do with the application of Nixwax prior to every walk which you apparently are not supposed to do with Gortex.
My feet have been really happy in these boots with my Polypro liners (from MD cannot remember brand) my new best friend Wilderness Wear Merino socks and I can say that on three recent walks I did not experience sweaty feet ,as a matter of fact last walk they stayed on my feet from 6:00 am Sat till 6:pm Sun with no dampness or pong at all so go figure :?
c
Last edited by corvus on Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:37 pm

I also found my old Scarpas to be too narrow at the toes. I loved the solid rigid soles though... I miss that.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:08 pm

Brett,

The last time I bought Zamberlan was from the US in $ for $ times. Nowhere special found so I stuck with C&C. The first time I bought a pair i took a researched guess at the size. I had to return the first pair, i was .5 US size short. This cost 50 something $'s for return postage. Since I had the size, the last order was 2 pairs (and some Zamberlan 'runners). I'd probably use C&C again, their postage was reasonable (though i have had some other orders delayed from them).

The model I use are these:

http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/zamberlan ... boots.html

(It describes womens model, similar but see company website for more info)

I like the weight, they still seem of good quality and wear quite well. From what I can recall, the company profile seems similar to hilleberg and they are still made in Italy. I have had the longer model and prefer them for heavy pack hauling (the proof in the puddin for rolled ankles IMO). They are goretex lined but I cant say I really have a problem with overheating that I have noticed.

cheers, nuts
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:30 pm

norts wrote:Full leather.
A hint that I have used too make my boots last a bit longer.
I run freesole around where the leather joins the rubber and make a small toe cap with it also
Keeps grit from getting between the rubber and leather
Roger

norts what is freesole please
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby photohiker » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:00 pm

I have some Scarpa ZG40 GTX boots that have served well over the last 4 years or so, but I'm starting to see some issues:

The soles have worn down a bit at the heel and ball of the foot. Apart from lacking traction in snow I have no complaints about the soles, they have been (and still are) great. Should I worry about the wear or wait until I have drain holes? I don't think the GTX models are resoleable.

More seriously, I'm getting minor leaks this year that show up when walking in the rain - both feet level with the base of the toes and on each side of the boot. When checking the boot I can feel the slightest dampness in those areas, but it doesn't seem to be coming in through the upper as that feels dry inside. Could this be a leak at the junction of the upper and the sole, and what should I do about it?

I have to admit I have not done much maintenance to the boots except the occasional clean in fresh water if they get muddy. I really can't complain, they have done many days walking here in SA, Tas, Vic, NZ and even a bit of Norway and Switzerland. Must be over 1000 km by now.

How long should I reasonably get out of these boots?

Michael
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 8:45 am

It's well documented elsewhere that I am a Scarpa SL fan - they work well for me. I accept that they are not for everyone, particularly those with wider feet.
I take the insole out and insert my orthotics. I wear two pairs of explorer socks. I lace mildly firm up to the turn in the boot where the laces start coming up the ankle, and quite firm from there.
Quagmire gaiters, fitted very well, over the boots. Then plastic pants - usually the "disposable" $35 Rainbird ones because they usually get trashed and haven't justified better ones (a discussion for another topic perhaps).
I use Snowseal on my boots. Warm (but don't cook) the boot in front of the fireplace or heater (heard of the oven being used for this too) then using a rubber glove, keep scooping it up and smearing it on to the boot with the left hand while melting it into the boot with a hair dryer. Lots of newspaper on the floor so as to avoid the wrath...
Keep putting it on until the boot won't take any more. Usually takes 10 to 15 minutes per boot.
My wife uses Scarpa Trek, lower at the heel as mentioned.

Many of you will be familiar with the Arm River track, and the creek crossing just over the log from the car park.
It was quite deep on Thursday last week, but with all the rain on Friday and Saturday evening, it was considerably deeper on our return.
When we got back, I ran across the creek. Water level was half way up to my knee. My feet were still dry and I don't dodge.

Here it is at the start of the walk.
Images are thumbnails to larger images.

Anyhow, that system works for me.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 8:47 am

photohiker wrote:I have some Scarpa ZG40 GTX boots ...

How long should I reasonably get out of these boots?

I got about 10 years out of my old Scarpas (can't remember the model, but one-piece leather) until the stitching around the top finally started coming undone. At that point they were probably repairable, and there was lots left on the soles still. But I was fed up with them being too narrow around the toes and after 10 years was glad of an excuse for new boots. Having said that, the Scarpas were fantastic apart from not being quite the right shape for my feet - they lasted through a lot of walking and hardly wore at all. Durability and comfort are my two primary factors. The Scarpas were excellent on the durability front, but let me down on comfort (but I think it depends on the shape of your foot).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 8:53 am

Corvus, Freesole is "urethane formula shoe repair". You can get it at most bushwalking shops.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 10:05 am

norts wrote:Corvus, Freesole is "urethane formula shoe repair". You can get it at most bushwalking shops.

Roger

'Shoe Goo' (is that the same) used to use that to do the toe cap thing (pre zamberlan :D )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 3:48 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 3:56 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 4:00 pm

Decided to take the Scarpas into PP today to have them checked out.

Result is that they would happily send them in to Scarpa for warranty inspection, but think there is not much likelihood of them serving a warranty replacement on a pair of 4 year old boots. I've come away with some nikwax and if that doesn't solve the issue then they will become dry season boots. Not a problem in dry old SA...

There's a new model of the ZG series out called the ZG10. It's full nubuck and built on the same last as my ZG40's. If the water leak prevention doesn't work, I'll try them out as I'm otherwise very happy with these boots for fit and walking comfort.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 7:29 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes Brett, I hear what you say. I think if I was going to use boots a lot above the snowline I'd go for two pairs of boots. As it is, these have stood up well to casual use in the snow, nothing serious. They do eventually get cold if you stand around for a couple of hours, and the sole is not real aggressive so horses for courses I guess.

If this pair weren't as comfortable as they are I'd be looking at other brands. Of course, that depends on the quality remaining the same. At least the last is the same (BA) on the current ZG boots as these, so there is hope I guess. These were made in Italy, be surprised if the current stock is.

I've bought some nikwax, will report how it goes. From what I've read here and heard at PP, I think the water leak is due to wear and breakdown of the GTX seal at the most flexible point of the boot and between the upper and the footbed. I'm not hopeful that the resulting seal will be 100% but hopefully good enough to get some more life out of the boots.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dee_legg » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 11:09 pm

Oh my, i haven't looked at the Scarpa website for too long. I am very much loving the new womens ZG10s, would be the perfect upgrade from my ZG65's which are nearing the end of their days... it's a pity there's a 99% chance that i won't be able to get them here from OS without a loooot of stress and effort.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 12:52 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dee_legg » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks Brett,
Scarpa had a particularly slooooow year last year for Australian stock as they were busy setting up a bigger range in America, which is why PP and all the other outdoor shops had big issues with orders.. however i get the feeling they are slow anyway. Unfortunately for me, i've become quite familiar with the catalogue that details what Scarpa ships into Australia and the Womans ZG10s and the SLs aren't included. :(
One day when i'm rich buying things from the US or the UK won't be an issue and i'll have all the things i want! :lol: but for now i'll go back to being a 18yo unemployed student :(
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bauera » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 1:46 pm

I have used Scarpa Treks for years, with just one traitorous but overall satisfactory excursion into Kathmandu Randonees before they started putting goretex into them. I have always been happy with the Treks except for the fact that my feet spread after a few days walking and then I get the inevitable rub spots and eventually blisters if I am not careful. The Vibram Grinta soles of the Treks tend to last longer than the leather and I have been told by a shop assistant that they are the best wearing soles of any boot Scarpa makes. I would be keen to try something else but finding a leather boot wide enough for my feet without goretex is not easy these days. Though of trying Scarpa Pro Treks or SLs but again have generally been turned off these boots by shop assistants who tell me they take too long to wear in and would break my feet. I have never really understood this advice - why would Scarpa make a boot which is unwearable and obviously others do buy them and don't have this problem - but as I have been happy with Treks in the past I have gone along with it. In my experience the leather boots are very waterproof when new but once you get a fair few miles into them they leak just like any others. But, as they always say, the big hole at the top lets water in anyway and on any decently wet Tassie track you will all get wet feet eventually. Does anyone have advice about non-goretex leather boots of other makes which are available now and suit the typical Australian widish foot?
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sun 02 Aug, 2009 6:35 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Equipment