X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby DuskyBay » Fri 17 Jun, 2022 12:56 pm

I've been charged USD46.50 (~AUD66) for shipping for a 1P.
DuskyBay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Fri 17 Jun, 2022 6:43 pm

Sounds about right.
Just for fun enter the weight and size of the parcel into the Australian Post site pretending you are sending it from here to the USA and see what you get.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewa » Fri 17 Jun, 2022 7:25 pm

US shipping is a joke. Sadly we just seem to have to cop it, but I was quoted $66US tonight to post a 100mmx 6mm knife pin, valued at $10

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby tazzi » Sat 18 Jun, 2022 10:42 am

Sold out now anyway. I was considering the revised pack but shipping combined with the current exchange rate puts that way out of my range.
tazzi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Sjatas » Tue 21 Jun, 2022 2:15 pm

I managed to order one - the solid inner version, postage was $46.50 US, shipping method is "USPS First Class Int'l Duties and Taxes Excluded (Due on Delivery)" which was the cheapest. Total price $385.5 US, about $550 AU.
Sjatas
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark7260 » Thu 23 Jun, 2022 7:47 am

FWIW, my shipping for the Kakwa was $142 USD and according to kaviso, the highest anyone paid in the world, to ship to Tasmania.... most of that is attributed to "in Australia" costs..Kaviso did offer to reduce it for me but I stayed with Fedex. Shipping on my Solid 1p was $46 Usd.
Mark7260
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joynz » Sat 02 Jul, 2022 11:44 am

X-mid on the Larapinta Trail - June 2022.

Here’s a photo of my x-mid pitched on top of Brinkley Bluff in June 2022.

It shows the ‘Little rock big rock’ method of pitching without tent pegs used (due to the rocky surfaces common on this track). Because it’s windy up there, I used rocks to anchor the guy ropes too.

I pitched it successfully with this method on sand as well - and tended to use all the anchor points (not the guy ropes though) every time to keep the fly well away from the mesh inner.

At times I did wish I had a nemo or similar free standing tent as it definitely took other hikers less time to pitch their tents. But, overall I was very happy with how it performed - especially once I started using ‘limpet’ mode (pitching the fly close to the ground).

I found moisture on the bottom of my quilt a few times and think it must have dripped from the roof as the inner was held well away from the fly.
Attachments
712C7C0C-0271-4152-A525-DE24F9D50D0B.jpeg
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris Denyer » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 7:17 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to buy my first ultralight tent and am after some help.

I've heavily researched ultralight tents over the last week or so, and have decided I'll choose between the Durston Gear X-Mid 1 or Tarptent Protrail.

But I am leaning heavily toward the Durston Gear X-Mid 1P. I understand they are near impossible to get one before they sell out......but should I be lucky enough to buy one I need recommendations for some trekking poles.

And full disclosure, I'm not so much a bushwalker for the sake of bushwalking; I bowhunt and that means walking through the bush. :D
Chris Denyer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 9:21 pm

Do you actually need trekking poles?
I have the XMid 1P, I use it for hiking and use my walking poles with it but when I go bikepacking , I use a couple of poles I made up from spare tent poles I got from a bushwalking shop.
I only say this because I would have thought it would be hard to bow hunt when both hands had poles in them and it might be better to try that.
Also my home made poles are lighter than trekking poles.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 9:32 pm

norts wrote:Do you actually need trekking poles?
I have the XMid 1P, I use it for hiking and use my walking poles with it but when I go bikepacking , I use a couple of poles I made up from spare tent poles I got from a bushwalking shop.
I only say this because I would have thought it would be hard to bow hunt when both hands had poles in them and it might be better to try that.

Roger

Correct. You need poles.
Hikers/Bushwalkers often have trekking poles, so they do double duty.
Even tent manufacturers sell poles for those who don't use trekking poles. https://zpacks.com/collections/tent-poles
Sticks will do, about 120cm or whatever your height is, as long as it fits, all good.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 9:38 pm

Franco wrote:Just for fun enter the weight and size of the parcel into the Australian Post site pretending you are sending it from here to the USA and see what you get.

Back in the old days .. there was an option with Ozie post to send things by sea.. much cheaper .. and a lot slower... :roll: Well things are not fast now either yet the costs are high .. modern times.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Chris Denyer » Wed 31 Aug, 2022 9:42 pm

norts wrote:Do you actually need trekking poles?

Roger

I don't use any poles for bowhunting. I typically set up camp, grab my bow,day pack and bino harness and head out.
Now that I plan to buy an ultralight tent (most likely the x mid 1) I will need either collapsible tent poles or alternatively trekking poles.
Sorry I wasn't clearer in my post.
Chris Denyer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark7260 » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 6:28 pm

I have just bought the adjustable poles from tarpatent to use with my X mid 1 Solid. Also, Dan is releasing custom poles(not trekking) in October if I recall. I am using fizan poles from Kaviso with my X Mid Pro2.
Mark7260
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joynz » Thu 22 Sep, 2022 11:34 am

The new Dan Durston adjustable poles just opened for preorders now (delivery in October). Get in quick!

However, I have been using the 3-fold Six Moon poles with no issues (lighter than the new Durston but not adjustable so you sometimes have to angle them a bit. I have only used the Six Moon poles for base camping when I want to use my walking poles during the day without the tent collapsing.

Postage for the items I purchased (x-mid 1P groundsheet and a pair of the adjustable poles) was US $12.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris Denyer » Fri 23 Sep, 2022 2:49 pm

Joynz wrote:The new Dan Durston adjustable poles just opened for preorders now (delivery in October). Get in quick!

However, I have been using the 3-fold Six Moon poles with no issues (lighter than the new Durston but not adjustable so you sometimes have to angle them a bit. I have only used the Six Moon poles for base camping when I want to use my walking poles during the day without the tent collapsing.

Postage for the items I purchased (x-mid 1P groundsheet and a pair of the adjustable poles) was US $12.

I ordered a pair of the Durston Z-Flick Tent Poles yesterday. Not bad at 88 grams each and they pack to 31.115 cm packed.
Chris Denyer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:54 pm

Hi. I'm interested in people's take on the solid vs mesh inner for Tassie conditions. It sounds like people have done just fine in mesh tents rain wise. I've never had a solid inner tent so I don't know much about whether they can be warmer than mesh only. When I can though, I'll sleep with a door open, and it's nice to be able to see through the mesh to whatever the view is. This wouldn't work with a solid inner, but maybe in winter in WOJ, it would be more comfortable

Ta
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 6:27 am

The issue isn't so much rain as condensation and wind. Pitch on even slightly damp ground and there will be condensation on the inside of the fly; if there's enough breeze to rustle the tent, that will be driipping on you. A solid inner is an extra line of protection - and it is warmer.
I thought there was a mesh panel on the door - you still get a bit of the view from inside.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby stry » Thu 27 Oct, 2022 10:54 am

And not only from moist ground. Lush grass can give off a great amount of vapour and greatly increase condensation.

That's why I cut Tyvek footprints big enough to cover the ground in the vestibule(s). Makes for a large footprint, particularly with the generous vestibules of an X-Mid, but the benefit is worth the little extra weight
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Thu 27 Oct, 2022 10:58 am

Yes, my tyvek is cut to fit the whole fly area, not just under the inner tent. And it keeps everything clean too.

However, I’ve just ordered an x-mid footprint. Will be interesting to see if I like it given the smaller coverage.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Thu 27 Oct, 2022 5:46 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Hi. I'm interested in people's take on the solid vs mesh inner for Tassie conditions. It sounds like people have done just fine in mesh tents rain wise. I've never had a solid inner tent so I don't know much about whether they can be warmer than mesh only. When I can though, I'll sleep with a door open, and it's nice to be able to see through the mesh to whatever the view is. This wouldn't work with a solid inner, but maybe in winter in WOJ, it would be more comfortable

Hi Pete,
I've used both, with the solid inners similar to the solid X-Mid. In the pics on the website, though, the solid inner fabric goes less than halfway up the door with the X-Mid, whereas the ones I've used have more than half the height in solid fabric. What I didn't like with full mesh was the spindrift of snow and icy drafts that came in under the fly and straight onto me. Dan mentions the solid inner is slightly warmer than the full mesh. But it also would cut out a lot of the extra drafts. As nnw said, it's still possible to get a view through the partial solid door. Now I think about it, my experience of icy blasts and snow in a full-mesh inner tent in the WOJ was one December. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Thu 27 Oct, 2022 6:11 pm

I had an end entry tent... I found cold drafts blowing through the entry way - even when fully closed. I made a sylnylon sheet with velcro attachments to the end entry inner .. that made things much less breezy.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 8:45 am

I've had a quick search but I can't work out where the mid panel tie outs have been added to the V2 tents. Looks like I'm getting a V1!

Ta
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 2:23 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I've had a quick search but I can't work out where the mid panel tie outs have been added to the V2 tents. Looks like I'm getting a V1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k3sM4GhamY

tie outs at 13:16, however the entire video is worth watching for the information that it will give you.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon 31 Oct, 2022 3:19 pm

Great thanks!
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joynz » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 7:54 am

Has anyone ordered the new Dyneema x-mid 1?
It’s been selling online for the last couple of days and, apparently, almost sold out.

Single skin, US$606 (AU$852).
Standard set up (6 stakes and the stuff sack) weighs 544g compared to 875g for my sil-poly version.

Tempting. But I wonder about the condensation if used in Vic though.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 12:51 pm

A night on Mt Speculation, many years ago, dispelled any lingering doubt about single skin tents in the Victorian climate.

I was in an MSR Hubba with a full mesh inner. Early in the night, heavy rain driven by gusting winds forced a fine spray through the fly and the mesh inner - uncomfortable indeed. Later that hight, rain stopped & wind dropped but buckets of moisture began to condense on the inner of the fly. It started running down the inner, frequently bounced off by wind gusts. Much of it went through the inner as though the mesh wasn't there. It was a long night.

Condensation is unavoidable - can be reduced by tent placement & ventilation but not eliminated. In a single skin tent, there's a high risk of the condensation finishing up on you.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DuskyBay » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 1:09 pm

A comparison of the X-Mid 1P against the X-Mid Pro 1P makes for an interesting analysis:

X-Mid 1P
Weight: 875g
Packed volume: 4.0L
Price: 416 (AUD, incl. pegs & freight)

X-Mid Pro 1P
Weight: 544g
Packed volume: 2.4L
Price: 892 (AUD, incl. pegs & freight)

So, if selecting the Pro, that's 331g in weight saving at an additional cost of $476 ie $1.44 for each gram of weight saving.

I suspect that it's much cheaper for many walkers to save 331g of weight somewhere else within their gear list (or perhaps to reduce their body weight by this amount).

Although DCF offers some obvious advantages over polyester: lightness, higher strength, non-reliance on waterproof coatings and increased UV resistance being the main ones, it also has some significant disadvantages: much higher cost, poorer resistance to abrasion, being noisier and less opaque.

Additionally, as the Pro is a hybrid tent (not quite a single skin) rather than a double skin its packed volume is actually lower, even though DCF is considered to be bulkier than polyester. However, it has an increased risk of condensation issues.

Overall, it's not a clear-cut decision - there are many factors to consider. People need to decide which are more important to them.
DuskyBay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joynz » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 2:17 pm

I like the idea of people shedding 331g of their own body weight!
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 4:44 pm

A pre hiking expedition laxatives routine could save you far more than that :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joynz » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 5:54 pm

Reminds me of the Jupiter Hikes video ‘think of the weight savings’! And do you really need two straps on your backpack :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxpObyS4DE
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment