MSR hubba hubba suitable for southwest?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

MSR hubba hubba suitable for southwest?

Postby lobeylobe » Tue 06 Oct, 2009 12:49 pm

hi
just curious as to whether my msr hubba hubba is adequate for summer tasmanian conditions.
i think it should be ok for the overland track but considering doing western arthrs which i understand has significantly worse weather so yeah if anyone could give any advice/answers it would be much appreciated.
cheers.
lobeylobe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: MSR hubba hubba suitable for southwest?

Postby Humpo » Tue 06 Oct, 2009 3:43 pm

We had the Hubba Hubba Hp out last week during the thunder and dust storm. It held up well with some very poo... weather.
Humpo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby DonQx » Wed 07 Oct, 2009 12:28 pm

I've got one meself.

OT ok. Suse & I on Sth Coast Track OK too (should be a pic or 2 of the tent at http://ahack.org (Photos/Bushwalking))

Wouldn't take it into the Arthurs unless good weather is guaranteed (if you can get such a guarantee from anyone ;-) ), or if I was happy to deal with the possibility of having to wrap myself up in the tent fabric while sitting out a 48 hour blizzardy gale. I reckon there's a reasonable risk that the single long pole across the long side could break.

Take a proven design into the Arthurs, something like a single pole tent with a much lower profile, or multi-pole tunnel or some sort of dome.

Just my 2c.

:-) a.
Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby michaelweare » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 9:52 pm

lobeylobe wrote:hi
just curious as to whether my msr hubba hubba is adequate for summer tasmanian conditions.
i think it should be ok for the overland track but considering doing western arthrs which i understand has significantly worse weather so yeah if anyone could give any advice/answers it would be much appreciated.
cheers.

Hi There,

I took a Hubba HP (1 person) into Federation Peak in February this year. Whilst the weather was mostly fine or the whole trip, for two (2) days straight after we left the peak we had (literally) cyclonic conditions with super strong wind and a lot of rain.

The tent stood up to this without incident, and I was high and dry during my extended stay inside reading a book and drinking hot drinks in the tent.

Worked well for me.

Cheers
Michael
michaelweare
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment