Equipment failures

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Equipment failures

Postby Ent » Fri 16 Oct, 2009 4:33 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Equipment failures

Postby nakedape » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 12:04 pm

You are no orphan here.

1) Sea to Summit gaiters simply falling apart within 6 months.
2) Walking pole locking mechanism failing after first use.
3) Goretex jacket failing in snow - I was so wet through that I became slightly hypothermic!
4) Goretex Scarpa boots leaking after only 18 months
5) The other half's scarpas cracking after 6 weeks (suppliers would not replace that last two items on this list - some how the failure was our fault :shock: )
6) Black diamond head torch falling apart within a year

Oh, it goes on :evil:

nakedape
nakedape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 1:10 pm

Sea to Summit gaitors are a joke!
I know of very few people who have had much joy with them!
The scarpa thing is interesting though! Cracking after 6 weeks I'd be pretty upset! Even if they wernt waxed regularly they should last longer than that!!

What type of jacket was it that failed you??
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 1:33 pm

Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 1:56 pm

Brett wrote:1) Sea to Summit gaiters simply falling apart within 6 months. Yeap seen the same thing in person

You should see mine! Wore them first at Easter this year. They pretty much require replacement already - extensive sepration of stitching, laces-hook has popped studs on both legs, loop under shoe has just about worn through, pop-studs don't pop on (seriously, these are such a stupid closure in muddy conditions, might as well not even put them on!), scuff guards wearing through, fraying of nylon parts...

But where is the better choice?! I'd pay an extra $20 to get a few years out of them!
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby tasadam » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 2:35 pm

Regarding the Quagmire Gaiters, there's a topic on them HERE with the various problems encountered.
Mine were replaced, and the new ones are a lot better so far.

Plastic Pants - I forget the brand, Wilderness something I think, the $35 ones.
Hopeless, lucky to get one walk out of them. Worst piece of gear I've had.
Now looking at Hydronaut or Goretex.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Ent » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 2:52 pm

Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nakedape » Mon 26 Oct, 2009 10:49 am

I am rather surprised that Scarpa walked away from their boots as they are suppose to be very good at backup service.

Cheers Brett[/quote]

Yes Brett, we were lead to believe that scarpa/PP product support was second to none - alas. I suppose that wearing through a lining such as Gortex might happen, but not so soon. As for the 6 week old boots cracking, well it beggars belief really. I have a theory (which has been supported by a mate at PP in a different state - the boots were bought in Lonnie): my partner has a small foot (womens 37) and I cant imagine that many of that size sel, so hers were most likely sitting on a shelf for many years - drying out. When they cracked PP & the importer (outdoor agencies) simply through there hands up - Last thing we ever bought in PP Lonnie. I did send an email the Italy - which i should chase up.

Nakedape
nakedape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ent » Mon 26 Oct, 2009 1:33 pm

Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 22 Dec, 2009 10:26 am

Water bottles...
Naglene wide mouth water bottle - indestructable.
Snowgum copy - The story goes like this...
On a walk, I warm 500 ml water and tip it into a 1 litre wide mouth bottle. I add 60 grams milk powder, tighten lid, one shake then release lid slowly to release pressure (the 500ml air in the bottle heats up & expands when you shake, so the pressure needs to be released), tighten lid and shake well. This does milk for 2 x cereal with enough left over for a cuppa tea.
Have used a wide mouth water bottle for this for many years.
We bought a Snowgum water bottle, wanted a Naglene one but they weren't for sale in Backpackers Barn when we bought it, of course we were told by the sales lady (not Cathy) that they were the same thing.
On my walk last month to SW Cape, we were at Window Pane Bay making breakfast, one shake and the lid had a major failure.
The plastic lid blew out, the thread was still on the bottle but the top part of the lid came off with a pop and sprayed milk all over the tent and a camera.
As we hadn't had it for long but Snowgum Devonport had closed, I was in Hobart and Snowgum there refunded me the purchase price.
So in future, it will only be the real Naglene bottles for me.

Re my earlier post of cheap plastic pants, the brand is 3 Peaks. They really don't last. I think all the pants in that price range are as bad as each other. Rainbird is another cheap brand and I know we have one dead pair of them in our disused gear box.
I have bought Mont Hydranaut pants and they have been good to date, though the inner lining is being stripped by the velcro on the gaiters.
Of interest, the same thing happens on the Mont japara pockets - their own velcro gets inside the pocket and sticks to the inner lining of the pocket.

iPood - The button that presses down to lock the handle in place is held by a spring clip. It failed, and the handle wouldn't lock in. Had to improvise to lock the handle in place to allow it to work, a most important bit of gear... Though we could have used snow pegs if it came to it (carried as also good in sandy soil). PP in Launceston are getting one in for me.

I think that's it for now.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby kanangra » Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:01 am

Great I just bought a pair of 3 peaks overpants. :(
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:53 am

Be interested to see how they go. Maybe I'm hard on them. Let us know.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Return to Equipment