Selecting Some Titanium Cooking Gear

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Selecting Some Titanium Cooking Gear

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:38 am

Has anyone bought any titanium gear from Vargo?

Since I'm getting a new stove soon, and have always just used the bundled Trangia pots, etc, in the past, I'm now considering what I should get to go with the new stove. Of course titanium is great for durability and weight, but it's rather expensive. The prices on the site linked above (USD) seem OK though.

I'm considering the following items from there:
  • Titanium Spoon / Fork / Knife Set (the shiny ones, not the mat ones, and not the blue ones). My old steel set is OK, but why not replace them with something better while I'm buying stuff anyhow? I do like to have the full set of three, as I use them all on most walks, and a spork woudn't cut it for me. I could get by with a spork plus knife, but have to buy the full set to get the knife anyhow.
  • Titanium ' Ti-lite' Mug (750ml, inc. lid with straining holes). For small meals for one. But can it fit a gas canister it it? It would sure be convenient for packing if it could.
  • Titanium Non-Stick Pot (1.3 Liter). For larger meals for two. Again, I'm not sure if I can fit a gas canister in it. I'd definitely rather pots that can fit the entire cooking kit in them.
  • Aluminum Pot Gripper (ie, prondonicles). I could just use the ones I have from the Trangia, but I'd rather keep the two cooking sets independent and self contained. I don't want to end up trying to cook dinner in the wilderness and realising that I'd forgotten to get the pot grips from the other cooking set.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Vargo Titanium Gear

Postby Ent » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:47 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:56 am

Brett wrote:As with cooking with titanium much the usual caveats that being it is thin so frying is an exercise in extreme care.

This is one thing Trangia got right. They made their frypan (which doubles as a pot lid) extra thick. So although not as good as a thick cast iron pan that you might use at home, it does a fairly good job of frying my pancakes, steaks and eggs and bacon (for a bush stove).

I'll have to consider an additional small frying pan for this kit, or like you say maybe just use extreme caution.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:36 am

Don't have any Vango kit, but do have a Sea to Summit ti spoon that looks very similar. It has a matte finish which creates an unpleasant sensation if it contacts your teeth... One other observation - I'm not a fan of the weight-saving ( :roll: ) holes in the handles - they're a real food-trap and hard to clean. The matte set seems to be the only one in Vango's range that doesn't have these...

Also, by feel it's marginally heavier than the sturdy plastic spoons from our picnic set - but probably more hygienic and certainly more useful for lifting pot lids etc and less likely to melt into your dinner if you get distracted while stirring :mrgreen:
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ent » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:51 am

Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:03 pm

I've got some of their tent nails and the grey Ti knife/fork/spoon set.

No complaints, it's good gear.

For cooking, I have the SnowPeak mini solo cookset and their 450ml uninsulated mug. With this setup, it all has integral handles so no pot-holders required. The large pot of the set holds a small canister and the stove with room or other odds and ends. Great setup, but I'm not one for frying on the trail, the cookset lid is supposed to be suitable, but it's quite small and shallow. Weight of the stove, cookset, full canister and mug comes to 513g, 321g with no canister. On daytrips I just take the stove, cylinder and mug for a brew on the trail.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:09 pm

You can fit a 100g canister inside the 750mm (and the Snow Peak700) and the 1.3L. The 1.3 L is just a few mm shorter than the 230 canister but it should fit under the lid. Never used non-stick Ti but by weight those are not of the thin wall type ( the thin wall 900ml is lighter than the 750 mug)
One advantage of the Ti cutlery is that it is inert (no taste).
Moontrail have the larger pot for $56
http://www.moontrail.com/vargo-ti-lite- ... kettle.php
They don't appear to have the 750ml Vargo but have the Snow Peack 700 (750ml capacity...) for $35 and the cutlery for $23

1.3L 83mm H
95 H w/lid
159mm w
So the valve should sit just under the highest point when the lid is in place.
(check postage charges when you compare)
Strange specs
Vargo 750
95mm W 105H
Snow Peak 700
105W 128 H

BTW I have a long spoon in "shiny" finish, there is no texture nor taste from it..
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:31 pm

Seems like everyone prefers the Snow Peak. Sounds like I'll have to check it out too. And having pots with the folding handles makes sense, rather than a pot holder. I'll have to see if there's a larger pot with the fold out handles.

Has anyone every had problems with the fold out handles folding out and getting caught on things and bending or breaking? I'm just asking, because I've not used them before.

Do the fold out handles get hot? Do I then need a little heat pad to use to pick up the pot?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby alliecat » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:36 pm

Brett wrote:One thing I would not mind is a light weight steamer insert. I use a flower type made in Korea that came from Coles many years ago and it is great but very heavy. Toyed with making one from mesh but have not got around to this but wondering if anyone has seen a commercial product.
Cheers Brett

Brett, check out this article for a simple, lightweight, DIY steamer insert.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:39 pm

The trick with fold out handles is to keep them well apart, so you need to remember to spread them out after you place the pot over the stove .
I have removed the handles from my pots (too thick for my liking) but have kept them on my 550ml mug .
Franco
I spent a considerable amount of time filing down and drilling some extra holes in my generic brand pot lifter and lost 5 g as well as some common sense.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Titanium Cooking Gear

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks guys for all the help so far.

I've created a Moontrail account and started a 'wish list' there. Here's what I've got on the wish list currently:
  • Snow Peak Trek 700 Ti (titanium mug/pot, 700ml, straining lid)
  • Snow Peak Trek 1400 Ti (titanium pot, 1400ml, frypan lid)
  • Vargo Titanium spoon, fork, knife set (smooth shiny cutlery, not matte, or rough)
  • Vargo Titanium Spork (would prefer the uncoloured one, but Moontrail don't list it)

I decided on the 700 and the 1400 ml pots and not the 900 ml pot as it gives the most versatility, and I could pack a windshield in between the two to stop too much rattling if I'm carrying them both on some walks. This also gives me the option of only taking a small pot on solo walks if I just want quick and dirty add-boiling-water meals (which I do use sometimes), as well as the option of a larger pot for more interesting or larger meals on other walks, and two pots for those walks where I want to do some really complicated meals. It also gives me one frypan, which I do like to use from time to time.

I don't really need a knife, fork, spoon and spork. But I do want a knife (which I use a lot for spreading butter, cream cheese, and other toppings on mountain bread, and for cutting steak, etc, and I'll need either a spork or a spoon and fork. Trouble is, I can't get the knife on its own. So I've not decided which way to go here. Will probably just get the set, and maybe think about replacing the spoon/fork with a spork another time, later.

Maybe I should send the link for the Moontrail wishlist to my family as a hint for Christmas presents? :-)
hmmm... It doesn't look like it'll let me do that, but it does have an option to send it as email. Aha... and the email includes a link to the wishlist on their website (as well as a list of the items in the email body).

(I've also changed the title of this topic to reflect the more generic nature of the topic than I originally started with).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 1:05 pm

Franco wrote:and lost 5 g as well as some common sense.

haha. Nice camouflaged funny comment there Franco.

I've never had my handles get too hot to touch. Maybe an effective windscreen would alter that but I doubt it. I think the Ti loses heat so fast, and stores so little of it due to it's low mass that even if it get's hot it doesn't stay hot long enough to burn. The lid on my mini solo has a silly little triangle lifter that must be at 100C when the water is boiling, but as long as I lever it upright, I can use it without getting burnt.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 1:13 pm

Last edited by Ent on Tue 16 Nov, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 1:19 pm

Brett wrote:Moontrail is a real honey pot trap for gear freaks.

Tell me about it! My little wish list is already up to around USD$250 !!! I'll definitely need the help of Santa Claus for this lot. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Selecting Some Titanium Cooking Gear

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 4:17 pm

Son Of a Beach
A couple of weeks ago I ordered 2 items from Anti Gravity Gear (that is how I get lighter...) $ 30 for the bits, $27 for postage.
About 3 days later I remembered that I left my only 2 thin Ti pegs ( $2.50 at AGG) over in the US. (pot holders for the Caldera Cone)
Then I discovered that they also have some of those Heineken beer "kegs" for $2. ( I would have liked to play with one of those...)
What I am trying to say, have a good look around at Moontrail before you place the order.
For example they sell Hilleberg.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks for the tip, Franco. But I'm not sure I can afford any of this as it is. Although I guess I can always add to the wish list, eh? :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 7:29 pm

Brett wrote:Moontrail is a real honey pot trap for gear freaks. Finally bit the bullet and signed up for the Therm-a-rest Nemo in the large size and a set of Black Diamond Carbon walking poles which gave enough free points to get the Snowpeak 1400 combo which I hope will give a neat set for simple cooking when weight is an issue and the food does not need much care.

One the fold up handles as mentioned the trick is to make sure that they are open when cooking as otherwise they get very hot. Also in Snowpeak they are light wire so a little amount of care is required. I have not attempted to use a lid as a frypan but I would say it would be an interesting experience.

Cheers Brett

Brett,
Ti lid as a fry pan is really really interesting especially with an egg, don't just don't :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby corvus » Wed 28 Oct, 2009 7:37 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Seems like everyone prefers the Snow Peak. Sounds like I'll have to check it out too. And having pots with the folding handles makes sense, rather than a pot holder. I'll have to see if there's a larger pot with the fold out handles.

Has anyone every had problems with the fold out handles folding out and getting caught on things and bending or breaking? I'm just asking, because I've not used them before.

Do the fold out handles get hot? Do I then need a little heat pad to use to pick up the pot?

Yes I carry a little leather pad to alleviate this.
Corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Franco » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:23 am

BTW, bushwalking I still carry a cotton handkerchief . Multi use item for me.
Franco

The Hilleberg bit was meant to be an over the top "optional extra..."
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 11:05 am

Franco wrote:BTW, bushwalking I still carry a cotton handkerchief . Multi use item for me.
Franco

The Hilleberg bit was meant to be an over the top "optional extra..."

IT did bring to my attention the fact that with the strong Aussie dollar nearing parity with the USD - I can't afford not to buy my Akto soon :D

Back to topic... Perhaps I should throw in some titanium cooking gear as extras :wink:
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment