General weight of peoples packs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

General weight of peoples packs

Postby vdhant » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi guys
As I have briefly mentioned in another post (but in a different context) I am looking at going on a fair few hikes that go from anywhere from 7 - 14 days+ where I will be walking 15 - 25km +- a day depending on the country... I have to take all my food as food drop offs are like not to be possible. Also I have about 6-7kgs of camera equipment that I need to take along with me. I am wanting to do walks like the South Coast Track or Great Ocean Walk or Western Arthurs or anything else along those lines.

I have estimated that my pack will come out at about 25kg when you take into account the water that I will have to carry on a daily basis, all my food and the camera gear. I would love to get this weight down 15-20kg, but I can't see how when I have the camera gear.

Cheers
Anthony
vdhant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: General weight of peoples packs

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 1:12 pm

That's a pretty heavy pack, but not entirely unexpected if it includes 7kg of camera gear and a few kg of water, plus a few days of food. I'd still want to get it somewhat lighter than that.

I think most people's packs would weigh between 10 and 20 kg (including food for several days). 10 kg would be considered quite light by many people, and 20 kg would be considered quite heavy by many people. It varies so much, because people have different priorities on what's important to take with them, what gear is available to them (eg, older gear is generally heavier, and not everyone can afford to update all the time).

I generally don't weigh my pack, but I'd guess that it's probably about 10 or 12 kg without food, and about 13 to 18 kg with food, depending on the length of the trip, and how much fresh food or luxury foods/drinks I'm taking. This is all just rough guesses though. I'm sure other people who weigh their gear more carefully than me can give more precise information for their own pack weights.

I'm not a "light weight walker" as such, and I know that many people carry packs lighter than this (and that others carry packs somewhat heavier).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby alliecat » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Anthony,

If you post a list of the gear you intend to take in the Weight Reduction forum, I'm sure a few people will be able to give you specific suggestions on how it might be possible to get your pack weight down. The more complete your list, the more chance we'll be able to make useful suggestions.

Cheers,
Stuart
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vdhant » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks for that... I don't know how I missed that forum...
I'll have to get the list together...
Although I'm still interested in peoples overall weight.
vdhant
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ollster » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 4:41 pm

Usually 18-25kgs, plus water. I have carried 25-30kgs from time to time, but only on easy trips like the Overland Track.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Franco » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 7:39 pm

I noticed your Ultra Light tent comment...
My pack before food is around 8kg and that is for temps down to about minus 5. add water and about 800 g per day of food.
That is considered by many in the US forums to be borderline light , more like standard, definitely not UL.
( I mentioned that just in case you post the same question in the international forums...)
How is it done ?
well my shelter for a start is under 700g (TT Contrail) , not considered to be strong enough by many but it works for me, yes even under strong rain/winds. Maybe not at 100kmph ( that I know of, but I can have it down low on "bivy" mode...) nor under 2 feet of snow.. (add another 800 g for that, TT Scarp 1)
My pack is either just over 1 kg (ULA Circuit) or about 1700g (Aarn Featherlight Freedom with large pockets).
My sleeping bag is a WM Highlight 500g or Ultralite (800g) or a quilt (about 650g , good down to about zero)
The mat is now the Neo Air (under 400g) or the Prolite 4 (about 800g ) or the Exped DM7 about 950g.
And I use the Caldera Cone metho stove (pot/windscreen/stove/fuel container about 140g plus 10-13g of fuel per boil (300-500ml) )
The problem with your 6-7kg of photo gear is that not only you need a bigger pack but a stronger one (heavier frame,beefier hipbelt...) so for me I would then use the Aarn Effortless Rhythm , add another 400g or so (about 2.1 kg with pockets)

But will this kind of stuff work for you ? well , I don't know...
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Drifting » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 8:25 pm

14-22kg, but I'm often carrying stuff for the family, excluding camera gear. Add approx 3kg for that.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby daveintas » Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm

Mine is about 18kg without water for a 7 to 10 day walk. Your pack weight seems lightish - compare your weights with Franco's
My pack before food is around 8kg and that is for temps down to about minus 5. add water and about 800 g per day of food.
that comes in at about 18kg with 10 days food and 2 litres of water (about 2kg lighter than mine). Add your 7kg of camera equipment and you have 25kg. As Franco says, his pack isn't 'ultralight' (I've read of others carrying 500g of food a day, 3/4 foam mats, no stove/fuel etc.) but it is definitely lighter than most.

Dave.
daveintas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment