Kids Outdoor Gear site

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Kids Outdoor Gear site

Postby Drifting » Sun 22 Nov, 2009 6:05 pm

I have no affiliation with this site, and have never used them, but they sure have some useful kids gear. I've never been able to find gaiters for kids without bug-off, and sure enough, there they are. I've had to modify small adult gailters, with limited success. Lots of other good stuff that I've not been able to find in Tassie on there too.

http://www.firsttreks.com/
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Kids Outdoor Gear site

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 22 Nov, 2009 7:25 pm

Nice find... thanks! I'll have to check it our properly later, but it looks interesting for those of use with young trekkers.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby adventurescape » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 9:27 am

That is a good find. The only place I have found anything useful in Tassie for kids stuff (especially for under 2yo) was Anaconda. As much as I think they suck, for little kids thermals and rainwear, they were good.
adventurescape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 9:34 am

We'd heard similar things about Anaconda but couldn't find a back pack there small enough for our 3 year old. The only place that we were able to find one small enough in the end was Kathmandu. And for all of $11, I think it was:

Kiddy Back Pack.jpg
Kiddy Back Pack.jpg (135.25 KiB) Viewed 2562 times

(Sorry... just another excuse to post a kid photo).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Drifting » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 5:57 pm

WE got the next bigger size Kathmandu pack for our strapping 5yo girl Nik, and a 12 litre Tatonka daypack with a frame as well. I'm thinking of getting her that Deuter pack for kids, as it fits down to 10 inch backs, which is what she currently has.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby climberman » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 4:31 am

Excellent find, thanks very much !
climberman

Postby beanie kids » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 7:46 pm

Wow you need to move quick when this forum recommends something! I've been looking for kids gaiters forever and these red and black ones on the site look great - but are now temporarily out of stock - who bought them all?? :o
beanie kids
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment