Mysterious leak in Thermarest.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Mysterious leak in Thermarest.

Postby Franco » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 2:58 pm

For some people the decision would be take the risk with an inflatable or stay home because there is no way they can sleep on 1.5 cm of foam.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby puredingo » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 4:46 pm

Contacted the company who repaired it and they have asked for it to be sent in for assessment, they think it could be a failure in the fix site...see what happens?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 6:44 pm

F it off.
Try the STS.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Wed 25 Nov, 2020 7:43 am

That's the next step. I actually do have a STS ultra light, the yellow one. Its never let me down?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 25 Nov, 2020 5:40 pm

puredingo wrote:That's the next step. I actually do have a STS ultra light, the yellow one. Its never let me down?

If you want down in your mat, get an Exped.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Wed 25 Nov, 2020 5:57 pm

Franco wrote:
puredingo wrote:That's the next step. I actually do have a STS ultra light, the yellow one. Its never let me down?

If you want down in your mat, get an Exped.

Have Exped addressed the issue re baffles blowing out? I've got used to staying on top of the Neo Xlite but something that helps keep you on the mat would be better.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 25 Nov, 2020 6:06 pm

Mine was a lame joke about the word down . (are downmats letting you down ?)
This was the last time the question was asked here : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31130
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby skibug » Sun 29 Nov, 2020 7:19 pm

I have had many mats with leaks - I guess they're like tyres on cars - expect to replace at intervals.

I Wii note, however, that some hiking sites (eg. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... g-pad.html) warn that deet based insect repellants have solvent properties, and pyrethrin or other alternatives are better. Perhaps some deet rubs from skin to mat, or drips onto it during application, causing micro holes, and may explain why multiple holes develop close to each other, when there was little possibility of physical puncturing.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 30 Nov, 2020 9:47 am

So the autopsy has come in and there is 3 new holes bunched together near the decal. And NOT a delamination of their previous fix site as he assures me.

I’ve given the go ahead for repair at $33 plus the $15 postage both ways. Last time though ford it become totally uneconomical...it’s actually already at that point but I simply can’t bear waste.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 30 Nov, 2020 11:36 am

I'd argue with them for a discount as they should have picked up all the leaks on the first test.
It has happened like that to me but I wasn't charging people to find leaks and test etc.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Tue 01 Dec, 2020 8:40 am

It is very frustrating to have a slow leak. My original thermarest in the 90s I think had a leak every second trip - although it had a hard life.

Miraculously my exped synmat survived a mauling from a GSP puppy before it had even been unrolled. The base of it has a patchwork of silicon and patches from this unfortunate incident but it survived for 5 years until it had the dreaded slow leak at Cleve Cole hut a few weeks ago.

When I came home I did the bike tube trick -covered the base with soapy water until I saw a few bubbles rise. I repatched the existing patch and it is as good as nearly new again.

I note that the mat comes with its own silicon and patches - anyone tried repairing a mat in the field? I imagine you'd need a creek or river to submerge the mat in.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Sat 10 Jul, 2021 5:12 am

Orion wrote:After I counted eight tiny holes I gave up. It was clear to me that the mat was hosed. It couldn't have been punctures. It was just "wear", as in only used in a clean tent, rolled up carefully and kept in a stuff sack when not used. Not really that many nights, a few dozen at most. She treated it like one would any very fragile but expensive item. Like a fine porcelain vase.

This isn't the first time I've had this experience with these particular mats. I think they are simply not at all durable and should be considered disposable, kind of like an inexpensive plastic razor. Except that they are most definitely NOT inexpensive.

I have since reverted to using the previous generation technology: my old Thermarest Prolite Plus. It's half as thick, twice as heavy, and about three times the pack volume, but I can sleep without the anxiety over whether my mat will still hold air in the morning. As a bonus it's a lot easier to make a pillow that works with it.

So what to do with the old, leaky Neoair? I thought about sending it to Thermarest but never did. Into the trash? Yeah, but wait. First I thought I'd paint on a urethane solution that I'd bought years ago to try and refinish a tent floor. Why not? I gave the Neoair two full coats, covering every square centimeter of the thing. And... drum roll... it doesn't leak anymore! It's been a couple of days and it's still filled with air, tight as a drum.

I haven't tried sleeping on it yet. Maybe my weight on top will spoil it. Or maybe the repair isn't durable. It's like sleeping on a house of cards.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby GregG » Sat 10 Jul, 2021 9:36 am

Good work Orion. It will be interesting to see how long this repair holds out. Dunno about you but I get a lot of satisfaction in seeing how much use I can wring out of stuff, it must be the "old bushie" coming out in me.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby Orion » Sat 10 Jul, 2021 11:35 am

GregG wrote:Dunno about you but I get a lot of satisfaction in seeing how much use I can wring out of stuff, it must be the "old bushie" coming out in me.

I totally get that. I'm in the process of revitalizing some ten year old gear. A tent I made in 2011 -- still fine! I just added a little loop to hold the door open better. The quilt I made in 2011? The down is sagging, big time. So I bought another 12oz of 900 fill goose down and I'm going to empty it and re-stuff it. My Gossamer Gear backpack, vintage 2011? The fabric is UV damaged to the point that it tears like tissue paper. So I've taken it apart and I'm replacing the damaged fabric with new, strong, stronger even, fabric.

I could have just bought a new tent, pack, quilt. In 2021 that would have been so easy, click click click.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 12:29 pm

puredingo wrote:Hello, My Thermarest has a slow leak that, for the life of me, I just can’t find.

I can sleep on it but have to re-inflate two or three times through the night. I’ve tried the soapy water thing and listened intently at the valve to no luck.

Any tips on fixing it or even a repair service in Australia would be good, I can’t find anything?

Thermarest have their own repair patches.
Fully inflate the mattress. Then fill the bath sufficient to submerge the mattress, pushing one end down, then the middle, then the opposite end. A leak will be very obvious done this way, with slow and steady bubbles. Some older Thermarests also were known to leak around the vulcanising that secures the inflating valve. If camping, you can immerse the mattress in a creek or river — slightly more difficult to spot the leak. Bicycle puncture repair self-adhesive patches (e.g. PEAK) work a treat if you are not up to forking out the ridiculous proprietary repair patches.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 5:49 pm

Biggles wrote:Fully inflate the mattress. Then fill the bath sufficient to submerge the mattress, pushing one end down, then the middle, then the opposite end. A leak will be very obvious done this way, with slow and steady bubbles.

If only it were always that easy...
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Erniec2 » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 6:34 pm

I had an exped develop a leak.
Inflated and checked in a very clear clean cold river.
Couldn't find leak which was done by our cat.
Slept hard for a few nights until I hot home.
Filled spa bath which is a reasonable size.
Eventually found leaks but wasn't easy.
I was on the point of giving up and taking it to Bivouac to find repair.
The tiny ones are tough.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Erniec2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby puredingo » Tue 05 Oct, 2021 1:29 pm

This MOFO has leaked on me for the last time!!!
Now its doing a weird thing where it deflates almost instantly upon inflation but only to about 2/3 of its capacity and retains that much air?. So essentially you can kind of stay aloft from the ground but not enough for your hips if on your side.....Annoying, I give up.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Equipment