New Macpac day pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New Macpac day pack

Postby Tony » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 12:58 pm

Please read warning at end of this post.

I brought a very nice little day/weekend pack from MacPac yesterday, it weighs in at 189g and measures around 50cm tall 20cm wide and 17cm thick. I think the volume is around 20 liters (I hope Blacksheep will confirm this)

What I really like about this pack is that I can fit my closed cell foam sleeping matt inside, coiled up so I can fit my gear inside the matt therefore using the matt as back support , I can also do this with my Thermarests inflatable matts. Most other 20 liter day packs I am unable to do this.

I am hoping to use this pack for up to 3 day summer walks.

Tony

WARNING:

Please be very careful when you start lightweight bushwalking.

The lightweight approach to lightweight bushwalking equipment described below is intended for a limited scope of environmental conditions and should not necessarily be relied upon in extremes of temperature or weather. Even during the heat of summer, the Australian Alps and South West Tasmania can offer snow and sub-freezing temperatures. You should be confident that you can use your equipment to deal with these conditions.

Therefore: You should not take a lightweight kit into high-mountain areas like the Australian Alps, or South West Tasmania without the knowledge and experience to use it. Not having the appropriate equipment, or unfamiliarity with lightweight backpacking techniques, could result in serious discomfort, injury, or death.

As with any serious outdoor pursuits, take your time learning and gaining experience: lighten your kit a bit at a time with judicious testing on short outings and in your backyard. Take backup equipment until you have confidence that your ultralight equipment will keep you warm and safe.
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: New Macpac day pack

Postby Ent » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 6:07 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tony » Sun 06 Dec, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Brett,

Brett wrote:Hi Tony

Were you not using the Kathmandu pack for a similar role. Any reason for the change such as been a bit bigger, smaller or better shaped?

Cheers Brett

The pack is longer and fits my closed cell foam sleeping mat and my new 230g Thermarest better, it is the same weight as the Kathmandu pack.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby blacksheep » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 9:37 am

Tony, this pack wasn't intended as a 3 day hike pack- it is a simple pack-away style product. I'm not sure what kind of loads you envisage using this for, but I really would be careful about using such a lightweight pack made lightweight materials for remote area use- it is sold as a travel accessory.
I stand behind all our products, but this is not the intended usage for this one..
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby Tony » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 7:30 am

Hi Blacksheep,

blacksheep wrote:Tony, this pack wasn't intended as a 3 day hike pack- it is a simple pack-away style product. I'm not sure what kind of loads you envisage using this for, but I really would be careful about using such a lightweight pack made lightweight materials for remote area use- it is sold as a travel accessory.
I stand behind all our products, but this is not the intended usage for this one..

Thanks for disclaimer, it seems that I have more faith in the pack than you, the pack seems well made and the weight that I will be carrying for my three day walk will most probably lighter than most would carry on a day walk, I will be posting the gear list for this trip soon.

Would it be possible to post some specs on the pack, volume, materials, max carry weight etc.

I can assure that I will not be making any warranty claims if the pack fails especially after I lighten it a bit more.

BTW the crew in the Macpac Canberra shop are great bunch of people, the advice they gave my daughter for her current trip to Everest Base Camp was excellent.

Tony
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment