Thermarest or Exped

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thermarest or Exped

Postby Taurë-rana » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 6:03 pm

Should I buy an Exped Downmat 7 or a Thermarest Womens Prolite Plus for the same weight? R 5.6 or close I think for the Exped, R4.6 for the Thermarest. Or should I just flip a coin? I hate making these decisions!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Thermarest or Exped

Postby stepbystep » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 6:49 pm

I've heard the Exped is fantastic, haven't tried them though :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 7:44 pm

We love our Exped 9's. You can get a lighter version filled with artifical insulation from Pacific Outdoors for a fair bit less.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Franco » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 8:06 pm

According to Exped , the DM 7 (183cm) is 880g. R5.9. The 120cm version is 630g.
I have the older version of the Pro Lite Plus W and the older version of the DM.
There is a noticeable difference in warmth and comfort in favour of the DM , particularly if you are a side sleeper .
However if I don't expect temps around or below zero I use the ProLite or now the Neo Air .
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 7:11 am

When will you use it most, how warm is your sleeping bag? The downmats are great but the exped synmat is warm enough in tassie (and cheaper). I also have a neo-air that seems OK....very thin, perhaps flimsy... The 'down' side to these three mats is that there is Nothing left if they spring a leak...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby melinda » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Annie,
I have both these brands although they are a couple of years old so I forget the exact weights and specifications of them.
The 3/4 Exped Downmat is the heavier mat (about 800g???), it was pretty comfortable, pretty warm but after using it regularly for about 6 mths it started to deflate slowly. (Rather annoying!) Apparently there was a problem with the valves, because other people had the same issue.
I have been told in the shops that the newer models have a better valve. (Is that true or are the shop keepers just trying to sell their products???)
Eventually I became annoyed with it going down all the time and replaced it with one of the women's 3/4 Prolites (about 400g), which has been fine. Not quite as comfortable but roughly half the weight.
I also have a tiny Pacific Outdoors mat that weights about (280grams???) which I use in the summer, if I know I'll be sleeping on grass or sand. Not as comfy as the Prolite, but heh, very light!!!
Good luck, may your choice be comfy!!! :D :D :D
Melinda
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ent » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 7:41 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 8:38 am

I find my Prolite 4 great, even on snow on my side! If I was planning a lot of hut/very hard ground camping I'd get a downmat just for luxury. (P.S. Actually I might get a Neo Air. Thick AND light)
Last edited by sthughes on Wed 09 Dec, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 8:38 am

The DM now have a built in pump and they also have new valves ((positive owners reports on them)
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks for your replies folks, it certainly helps to hear the experiences of other people.
Nuts, I'm not actually planning to sleep on snow ... but as I have mentioned elsewhere I get cold easily but can't carry a lot of weight so have to balance warmth and weight as much as possible. I probably won't be walking much in winter, but maybe spring and autumn, and I will be walking in the SW at times.
Almost all my experience is with the old foam mats (I still have one but don't want to use it!) I have slept on an old self inflating mat (about 2 cm thick I think), on rock, and had no problems with comfort so it's really just warmth I'm looking at. That was in Kakadu so trying to stay warm was not an issue, however to make a point, I wore thermals and a bini and slept in a silk inner sheet and still woke up cold in the early hours of the morning - everyone else slept naked and didn't get cold.

I made a mistake with the weight of the Exped - the regular size is 910g, the short one is 680g.
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 10 Dec, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm about average on the 'feel the cold ' meter but many people do seem to have trouble that even a bag/mat another couple of negative ratings lower wont fix. Theres no doubt that the exped mats are the best nights sleep ive had (but they can be the worst if you find yourself on the tent floor, which will eventually happen with any 'air' mat. Hopefully it is just a simple leak that needs fixing....)

I find the exped synmat warm enough (even on snow) but also use a thin piece of exped 'multimat' underneath that doubles as a 'sit-mat' during the day (This adds warmth, moreso if it is placed ontop of the (any?) mat)

Had an exped downmat same as synmat, warmer still (too warm (for me) in summer)

Seems to me that the only truly 'reliable' mat is the humble 'foamy' but then they are bulky. I personally prefer the option of the two mats whatever the 'main mat' is, a thin foam layer and the main mat. I'm trying out a thermarest 'neo' atm (with the multimat).

I had a couple of the early Thermarest (both ended up 'unrepairable') I imagine the newer ones are better?

Hope this helps...if not making the decision any easier..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Fri 11 Dec, 2009 8:36 am

Some insulated inflatable mats have a "right" and "wrong" side. My PO MaxThermo is like that. That is when the insulation is stuck on one side , so if you reverse the mat it will be cooler.
I don't think that it is the case with the DownMats but I am not sure..
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Fri 18 Dec, 2009 7:42 pm

I <3 my exped. weight be damned it is so much nicer to sleep on. Great test...stick your walking pole on the ground and lay the exped and the thermarest over it. then lay on each. I am far more lazy about selecting tent sites now that I have exped. roots be damned!
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Taurë-rana » Sat 19 Dec, 2009 7:09 pm

Got a Thermarest on the way, I don't have too much trouble being uncomfortable sleeping as I'm not very heavy so went with the lighter option. Thanks for the comments.
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment