Aku boots - rusted!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Aku boots - rusted!

Postby myrtlegirl » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 3:50 pm

I have some Aku boots - fantastic fit, lightweight, durable. But the eyelets for the laces have gone rusty very quickly! This happened in the first walk I used them on (7 days in SW Tas). The retailer replaced them, but the second pair has also gone rusty. They are the best boots I've ever worn, so I don't want to return them for a refund. The retailer says they have never seen this problem before. I asked them to check with Aku about the metal used to make the eyelets, but they weren't very interested in chasing it up with Aku, saying "Aku only use the best materials". Aku in Italy referred me back to Australia.
I have never seen it before on any other boots owned by anyone, even those who walk on the coast. Has anyone else come across this problem?
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Aku boots - rusted!

Postby ollster » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 4:01 pm

Nah, I always use Scarpas and mine have had brass fittings I think. I guess material that is prone to rust will rust if exposed to the right conditions. I'd be keeping hold of your receipt... "not fit for purpose" :mrgreen:
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Ent » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi

I have two pairs of AKU and though not much used due to sizing issue and falling in love with Scarpas I have not struck the problem of eyelets rusting. The critical thing is does the rust look like it will become structural or just remain on the surface as a patina?

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 6:06 pm

My AKU boots have an alloy looking lace fitting and have been in wet conditions more often than not and do not look like attracting rust ,I do however once they have dried out naturally re Nixwax them for the next walk.
Personally I would pursue the Retailer with a copy of the email AKU Italy' sent you
to contact the importer /wholesaler and also let them know that this topic is out there to over 2000 members who buy gear based on feedback.
We are only as good as our complaints ,polite but constant,ask the retailer who the importer is then name names if you have a legit complaint because as the Law states the product MUST perform as ADVERTISED,go get them as the Retailer is only that and the Onus is on the Manufacturer or their Agent to sort this IMHO :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby myrtlegirl » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 6:39 pm

Brett wrote:Hi

I have two pairs of AKU and though not much used due to sizing issue and falling in love with Scarpas I have not struck the problem of eyelets rusting. The critical thing is does the rust look like it will become structural or just remain on the surface as a patina?

Cheers Brett

It looks like it will eventually cause the eyelet to fail well before the rest of the boot dies, not just be a light sheen of rust. The entire eyelet assembly consists of a base plate bit that lies flat on the shoe, attached to this base plate is the free-moving loop that the the lace goes through, and the base plate is held down by a brass rivet. The loop has a thick layer of rust, and the base plate has a spot of rust on the side that I can scrape very small flakes of rust off. The brass rivet is fine, it seems odd that the entire assembly isn't made from brass.
After every walk, I'm quick to clean (water and a brush only) and dry my boots, though I don't put anything on them.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 9:19 pm

Just draged out an old Pair of Scarpa Asolo boots to give away and the Lace eylets were rusty but still sound looking ,so perhaps "nil disparium" as these are over 20 years old :) and a coat of Nixwax seemed to revive them.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Ent » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 8:31 am

Hi

I am with Corvus, you have a problem and it needs to be sorted out and if AKU can not do the right thing or shows disinterest then people should avoid their products. At least in this case one pair have been replaced so maybe a refund is in order as there appears to be an issue with that production run or model so replacements from the same batch could have the same issue. There a many products out there that perform well for most people so we never have to experience customer service backup so it good hear how people get on, better if the news is good though.

Give them a few chances to correct the issue and report back as I for one do base my buying decisions on other people's experiences. Sadly lack of interest in product failure is common to many European companies with Vaude's failure to get the Aussie distributor to get in touch despite numerous assurance rather shattered my respect for German firms so claims of "quality fittings and high class materials" falls flat along with the standard "but nobody else has had that problem" excuse which thanks to sites such as this debunks that avoidance technique.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 11:50 am

The metal is probably a gavanised steel which is very prone to corrosion in the high acid evironment of the peat "soil" of SW tas. Provided the metal is thick enough to stand a little corrosion they should be ok for the life of the boot. Clean and oil often.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Return to Equipment