Setting up inner only on a Hilleberg Tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Setting up inner only on a Hilleberg Tent

Postby Drifting » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:44 am

Have any of you set up your Hilleberg tents with the inner only? If so, what were your impressions? Sturdy enough for Tassie summers?
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Setting up inner only on a Hilleberg Tent

Postby Ent » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 10:51 am

Um?

I did buy the necessary pole holders but that is one thing that I have not got around to doing. The only thing is I think you would need the guy ropes as well. Short of driving spikes into a concrete slab it might be sometime before I get around to it.

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm

Tassie summers as in 39 degree heat wave one day, 5 degrees & snowing the next?
You'd want to be pretty sure about the forecast in the alpine areas & even then nothings a certainty, maybe at Coles Bay or similar?

I have the Hilleberg Soulo & have tested setting up the outer (fly) only which is pretty impressive + bombproof still; if you are after weight savings?

My last walk along the Southern Ranges a couple of nights were very hot; i just left the vestibule door clipped open & the mesh open on the door (ie. one of the doors has a mesh + solid backing so just the mesh can be left open if ventillation / heat evacuation are required).

Didn't bother getting the inner only pole holders as I can never see myself setting it up this way, i'll just sleep outside in a bivy if it's that nice + then you get the view of the stars.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 1:33 pm

Fly only means I have to take a footprint. I'm just after something as light as possible for my daugter and I, and for me to use myself. I've got a Nallo 4 GT, and could save some bucks by using the inner only. I don't have enough $$$ to buy a tent or a footprint, so otherwise I just carry all 3.2kg of the whole tent, which is not the end of the world, but my last my overnighter with my kid saw me lugging a 23kg pack, so I think I need to lighten up a bit.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Return to Equipment