Ultra Lightweight Solar Charger?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Ultra Lightweight Solar Charger?

Postby johnrs » Thu 21 Oct, 2021 9:53 am

Hi Folks
Looking for an ultralite solution.
Say 100+ gms for the panel to go with 100+ gms for a Nitecore 5000 powerbank.
And not keen on DYI modifications.
So total weight less than 250 gms for charger and powerbank.
Any suggestions?
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ultra Lightweight Solar Charger?

Postby crollsurf » Thu 21 Oct, 2021 10:39 am

I've got one of these https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10059056/9682041-portable-6w-5v-monocrystalline-silicon-solar-panel
I don't know how good it is compared to others but it works OK when plugged into a Anker 10,000 power bank. Can't remember but I don't think it works when plugged into phone.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ultra Lightweight Solar Charger?

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 21 Oct, 2021 5:30 pm

crollsurf wrote:I've got one of these https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10059056/9682041-portable-6w-5v-monocrystalline-silicon-solar-panel
I don't know how good it is compared to others but it works OK when plugged into a Anker 10,000 power bank. Can't remember but I don't think it works when plugged into phone.
I’ve got a very similar one (white border rather than black).
Works well.

Note that many phones use smart charging and don’t handle solar panels very well.
I get much better outcomes charging a power bank then using that to charge my phone.
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment