Boot sizing How big is too big?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Boot sizing How big is too big?

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 9:25 am

I want to buy some new boots to replace my tight montagnas.
My mountain boots are La Sportiva Makalu in size 46 and are now just a little tight and lead to black toes when kicking steps etc.
I just bought a pair of La Sportiva Glacier boots in a 47 via a conversation on GearFreak and they are a really good fit but I really want something stiffer and with a sole that accepts Supergaiters. The boot is discontinued and sold out here in Oz but there are some left in the USA, but not in a 47, there are a couple of pairs of 46.5 and 47.5 left and at the moment with a substantial discount and my feet fit the Makalu really well and they are a reasonable boot for taking crampons without being too stiff to walk in.
My feet measure 296mm and a Mondo 295 fits reasonably well in ski boots but for leather singles I want to be able to wear my normal Ininji liners plus a thick woollen sock and at the moment I am inclined to get the larger boot.
Is a half size going to make too much difference? 3mm is quite a bit of extra room and I think that an EU half point is 3.3mm
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Boot sizing How big is too big?

Postby johnw » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 11:46 am

IMHO go for the larger size. The only times I've regretted going outside my correct size by a small amount was by going smaller. And boy have I had some blisters to prove it.
Like many people my feet are very slightly different in size/shape, not noticeable unless trying on shoes/boots.
I always fit to the larger foot and just lace the other one tighter. You can always add thicker socks, inner soles etc if needed. Too tight, then the only option is thinner socks.
I do have a few pairs that I still wear where that's the only solution. OK in summer but I wouldn't want to walk through snow.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Warin » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 12:27 pm

The only time I have regretted going too big was skiing... The extra room had my feet moving around inside the boot causing blisters after one day. The next day I got a size smaller (ski hire) and my feet were much happier.

I am right handed. My left foot is larger than my right foot. You do need to find out theses kind of details in order to find the best footwear.
My feet are UK sized, a size 8 from UK fits .. a 'size 8' in Australia is too narrow! Beware of buying footwear from overseas, there sizing may not match your expectations.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Aardvark » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 3:17 pm

Rather than insisting you should always be a certain size in any boot you choose eg a 46 or a 47 or whatever, think of that as a guideline only because different brands and different models within a brand may prove otherwise.
When you put one on, and you should always start with your longer foot, loosen the laces entirely. Push your foot to the front of the boot and see how many fingers you can get behind your heel. If your intention is to use crampons and particularly if you intend to kick steps or do any front pointing, you should get a size that allows you two fingers behind the heel. If tramping, hiking or the like, then one is sufficient. Consider the width in the fit too and make a judgement call as to the liklihood of stretching in width over time.eg A predominantly leather option may stretch more and allow the foot to travel forwards and cramp the toes.
I use a 42 a lot of the time. In alpine style boots i've never had less than a 43. One larger boot (with inner boot), for higher altitudes, i have in a 44.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby bluewombat » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 3:35 pm

Excellent advice from Aardvark and the others which I second, go bigger. The Makalu is a leather boot but the large toe rand should stop it stretching too much in the toe box
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby slparker » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 9:16 pm

What condition are your old makalus in, Moondog? - they'd fit me. Are they a B2 boot?
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 07 Mar, 2022 8:59 am

slparker wrote:What condition are your old makalus in, Moondog? - they'd fit me. Are they a B2 boot?

Apart from a small repair to the liner they are in excellent condition, always being used with Berghaus Supagaiters and heavily treated with Nikwax leather goop. Never used on rock only snow and ice.
They would only come with the generic cheap footbeds tho.
Great boots and crampon compatible
Attachments
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG (124.76 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG (107.34 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 08 Mar, 2022 7:51 am

Won't ship direct and I have to use a freight forwarding company.
Anybody have any experience with My US.com??
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Tue 08 Mar, 2022 8:36 am

No experience with MyUS.com but my husband uses shipitto.com and has been happy with it so far.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment