Waterproof head torches

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Waterproof head torches

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 3:21 pm

It seems that many head torches will work in wet conditions. Does anyone know if there are head torches that will work after immersion? This
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-09/ ... /100874998
suggests a Dolphin, but it's big and needs one hand. I'd rather have a name brand head torch that may not work after immersion. I've never had a torch immersed.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Waterproof head torches

Postby matagi » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 3:33 pm

Maybe look at diving head torches?
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 4:32 pm

I bought myself a Petzl waterproof torch for Christmas specifically for the “waterproofness”.

It did not survive immersion.
ChrisJHC

Postby EGM » Wed 09 Mar, 2022 4:54 pm

I think some of the Fenix ones are meant to be water proof. If it's ip68 rated it should survive not too deep for not too long though.

Edit,I just remembered I have a nitecore head torch which is water proof. It's fully metal with a screw cap for the battery so I would trust it.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 2:43 pm

Last edited by Lamont on Sat 12 Mar, 2022 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby sandym » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 4:04 pm

BD Cosmo is supposed to be waterproof for 30 minutes submerged. We bought for our Bass Strait crossing recently but did not spend 30 minutes submerged so YMMV!
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Postby keithy » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 4:42 pm

Most of the regular headlamps you can find are generally only weather resistant (ie. rated around IPX4). If you want one to survive regular immersion, you need to look for ones that were designed for uses like caving or diving - that is at least rated IPX7 or IPX8.

The ones that survive full submersion typically have screw in battery compartments as opposed to click in battery compartments like the Black Diamond Cosmo mentioned above. The BD Cosmo for example states "... If submerged, water may enter the battery compartment and it will still operate; it should be completely dried out after use in wet conditions." I've had a look inside the Cosmo battery compartment, and I am dubious about that claim - I think it should state it "may" still operate.

For decent waterproof headlamps for example, there is the Nitecore HC68 or the Fenix HM50R mentioned by Lamont which are both IPX68, and there are some Petzl headlamps like the Duo series which is IPX7 rated.

These can be quite bulky and heavier than the typical bushwalking/running headlamps though. I had a Petzl headlamp die on me while caving so I don't buy Petzls anymore.

I carry a few single AA/14500 torches as backups - both mine have survived regular submersion. I like these type of lights as I have a lot of rechargeable AAs and 14500s around. I use a head strap like the https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/headband/ https://www.myfenix.co.uk/product/fenix ... dband-1542 or the https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hb02 if I need to use it on my head.

One of the smaller headbands I actually use as an arm holder instead, and if walking for longer durations in the dark I will use it on my arm instead of on my head.

For activities with more water involved - like kayaking or snorkeling, I will carry a small Divepro Pygmy diving torch, which also accepts AA and 14500 cells.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby icefest » Thu 10 Mar, 2022 5:05 pm

I have a zebralight torch. I often take it on canyoning and kayaking trips and generally only put it in the outside of my PFD or the lid of the canyoning pack.
It's now 3 years old and has been swimming a fair amount and still works, so I can highly recommend them.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 12 Mar, 2022 8:35 pm

Fenix, zebralight and olight all do fully sealed lights, the cost is that they are generally heavier for the same performance as other lights. Another option is Pelican, they do some industrial headlamps that are very well sealed, though they do no do regulated lights (with leds that means they are brightest at the start and then drop off over time, where a regulated torch runs at a lesser output for far longer)
I have a Fenix HL10, which is their 1xaaa headlamp and its roughly equivalent to my small 2xaaa black diamond, just more durable and waterproof at the same weight.
If you are looking for car kit light, then I'd consider any of the USB charged lights, you can top it off every six months without a worry, and no alky-leak batteries to worry about.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby markg » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 2:25 pm

I have a couple of Fenix headlamps and won't use anything else. HL60 & HL65R are both waterproof in 2 mts of water. Both put out way more light than Petzls or BDs. Small weight penalty but these things are indestructable and reliable. USB recharge or you can by a plug in twin charger. A quality 32000 milli ampere battery is good for days.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment