Jetboil VS MSR VS the rest

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Jetboil VS MSR VS the rest

Postby phs » Sat 02 Apr, 2022 7:43 pm

Hi

Looking to purchase a wind proof cooking system / water boiler, we had a Minimo which was good for a few years until if randomly stopped working, would not let gas flow, had a new gas valve priced it was only a few dollars cheaper than buying a whole new unit so that it for us and jetboil

From what I can see the MSR reactor is out of stock everywhere any other suggestions ?
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Jetboil VS MSR VS the rest

Postby Zapruda » Sat 02 Apr, 2022 8:46 pm

Avoid those heavy and clunky systems and grab a Soto Windmaster and whatever titanium/aluminium pot suits your needs and budget.

The Windmaster is hands down the best stove I’ve used and I’ve used a lot. It perfect in the wind and incredibly fuel efficient. Light as well.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 03 Apr, 2022 11:20 am

Soto (Windmaster) set-up is lighter, smaller and more adaptable.
Last edited by Lamont on Mon 04 Apr, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 03 Apr, 2022 7:08 pm

I've had pretty good luck with my MSR pocketrocket2, not sure how it stacks up to the SOTO windmaster, I'd guess that they are pretty close. If you want more high-wind capacity then a MSR windpro 2 or other remote canister stove with a flexible windshield is a good idea. the jetboil and Reactor are really only boiler/snow melters, so if that works for you, cool, I prefer the adaptability of the other stoves, at the cost of efficiency. At the end of the day, you can only burn the fuel so fast, and only the available BTUs don't care what the stove is. You could also look at the Winburner system as there is a remote version as well, and can do a bit more simmering.

Another option might be to try to buy a used jetboil stove unit from someone who burned out their pot, save an ebay search and see what comes up. I think the minimo shares the stove size with the flash, but I'm not 100%
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Tino B » Mon 04 Apr, 2022 11:03 am

Soto Windmaster is excellent.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Mon 04 Apr, 2022 11:07 am

And have a look at some of the Firemaple stoves too! The quality is good.
https://firemaplegear.com/collections/canister-stoves
John RS
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Al M » Thu 07 Apr, 2022 1:03 am

If it’s local trips where gas canister are available and generally not longer than 5-7 days most of the gas stove head are good with a suitable wind shield but in very strong wind they are still affected as the deflector is not so snug and might even fly away.

For overseas trips like in developing countries or bike trips the clunky MSR and similar systems with good wind shield can start to show advantages with multi fuel usage (petrol, kero and other) and 600mL fuel can last over 7-10 days more than several gas canisters that are also not so available in remote areas. Problem with some operational noise and petrol smell issues to manage in the pack. For higher altitude above 4000m these are the best for being efficient blow torches to melt lumps of snow in pot.

The old Trangia and similar imitation alcohol stoves are not good in developing country backpacking trips as alcohol not so available, but for very windy conditions and in local places where fuel available the close fitting wind shield is the best and 600mL can last shade over 7 days. Less ideal in higher altitude o/s trips over 4000m as burn efficiency reduces. Quite heavy setup than the others.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby crollsurf » Fri 08 Apr, 2022 11:52 am

Jetboil and the MSR offering are popular and they're a good option if all you want to do is boil water. I'd say if that is what you want, either would make a good choice.

One reason more experienced walkers don't like them is you can only eat so many freeze dried meals, before you start getting turned off by them. If you try and cook in the Jetboil/MSR, the heat generated on the base of the pot is so high, you're food is going to get burnt. That coupled with the base of the pot being hard to reach, makes them a nightmare to scrub clean. You can get around this and buy special heat proof pouches and limit your cooking options to home dehydrated meals, but most couldn't be bothered and prefer a more diverse diet that includes mixing other packaged foods, fresh veggies, rice etc.

The other reason is they don't pack down well. A lot of people like a nested cookset where fuel, stove and other utensils, all pack down nicely into a single pot, rather than bits and pieces scattered all through your pack, or in a bag that takes up more room than is needed and clunks around while walking.

Jetboil has its place and for some, it's the right choice but for many, they would prefer a more flexible, compact system.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phs » Sat 30 Apr, 2022 8:37 am

Thanks everyone,

We purchased a Soto wind master just got back for a multi day hike it was very good
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Anthill » Sat 07 Jan, 2023 5:16 pm

crollsurf wrote:Jetboil and the MSR offering are popular and they're a good option if all you want to do is boil water. I'd say if that is what you want, either would make a good choice.

Jetboil has its place and for some, it's the right choice but for many, they would prefer a more flexible, compact system.

Hi crollsurf, just wondering what your walking stove is to cook real food rather than boil water? :)
Anthill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby crollsurf » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 11:53 am

Anthill wrote:Hi crollsurf, just wondering what your walking stove is to cook real food rather than boil water? :)

I use a Soto Amicus these days for a stove, and a GSI Pinnacle Soloist cookset for multi-day walks. I used to be UL but I've dialled it back these days. For overnight I'm too lazy to be bothered cooking, rather take a beer instead :D
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Anthill » Sun 08 Jan, 2023 12:05 pm

hehe. Thank you
Anthill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 8:08 am

+1 for the MSR PocketRocket. We use a light alloy clip on wind shield to improve efficiency.

I'm a big fan of NOT cooking food in my pot eg. everything soaks/hydrates in bags, but my partner likes to simmer her home-dehydrated stuff and finds it can be turned down enough - and with enough of a spread of heat in a ~700ml pot - to avoid burning. Which was always an issue with her old OG JetBoil.

By all accounts the MSR Reactor is primarily designed for max heat output and efficiency for melting snow/boiling water, not simmering. Oh and the price these days is downright stupid (like all Cascade Design stuff).

It doesn't get used all that much any more due to the weight, but my old Whisperlite was pretty darn was good at a moderate simmer/sizzle so long as you half-pumped the bottle. And a nice wide heat area too. Was good for frying eggs and bacon for breakfast on all those Western Lakes fishing trips.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Mon 09 Jan, 2023 9:11 am

The Soto Windmaster is my 3rd stove and by far and away the best I've used in wind. Seems to be lighter on the gas usage as well. Very happy with it.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Mon 16 Jan, 2023 9:48 am

A bit more expensive, but a Jetboil Stash with the burner changed to a Soto Windmaster is an awesome set up. Combined the Soto and heat exchange fins on the Stash pot make for very fast, efficient and weight saving option that’s great in the wind too. The pots nice to use, stable, compact and light for one with heat exchanger fins and the burner is ace, light and has ignition built in.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 1:13 pm

Hiking Exped wrote:A bit more expensive, but a Jetboil Stash with the burner changed to a Soto Windmaster is an awesome set up. Combined the Soto and heat exchange fins on the Stash pot make for very fast, efficient and weight saving option that’s great in the wind too. The pots nice to use, stable, compact and light for one with heat exchanger fins and the burner is ace, light and has ignition built in.
Ohhhh nice hack there. Might have to look at the stash

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 1:28 pm

Impressed with it so far, even with the Jetboil burner, but with the SATO it’s superb.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bluewombat » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 2:20 pm

Same trick works with an MSR reactor pot (250gms), you get double the volume of the Stash pot for a little extra weight. I agree the Soto is a fantastic bit of kit
BW
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby fastfreddy » Fri 20 Jan, 2023 4:21 pm

Another vote for the Windmaster
FF
fastfreddy