How "cold" could your sleeping system go?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How "cold" could your sleeping system go?

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 11:15 am

Seeing the for sale post of the FF Snowy Owl and remembering how much trouble I had selling my fat monster Berghaus sleeping bag but watching the news out of North America I wonder if my extended sleeping system really would be good enough to cope with -55C
So how do others here think they would/could cope with such an extreme weather event if it happened to you while traveling?
Personally I know I can cope with -30C to -35C because I've done it but as you don't get such cold temperatures here we don't usually develop systems to cope with that level of cold, I call deep cold temperatures of -30C and lower, others might have a different definition.
At the moment it's single digit F ( -4F which is about -20C ) in Upper NY where Ceciles family live and things are very very cold and hard there due to the extra pressure of the high winds.
I've also messaged the feller that bought my big bag and asked him what it's like to finally get weather cold enough to use it as designed; he is in Sudbury Canada and at the moment is warmer than New York at a balmy -13C
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: How "cold" could your sleeping system go?

Postby crollsurf » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 11:50 am

I've got an EE -6C quilt which will get me to 0C and toast. I got a puffer, APEX pants and down booties that I know, with my -6, I'm almost too hot at -10C. Add my APEX 10C quilt to the mix and I think I can get to -25C to -30. -55C, no way. Not that your ever going to see those temps here in Aus.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby phATty » Mon 26 Dec, 2022 6:43 pm

My winter sleep system is a One Planet Winterlite which claims to keep you comfortable till -9 and barely alive till -38. I usually couple this with a Thermarest XTherm.

In terms of extra clothing I’d usually bring in winter, I usually bring a Mont Icicle (overkill), a fleece and fleece pants. I think with all of these together and a hot Nalgene in a tent I’d be maybe warm till about -15? Just a guess, but I suppose I’d survive uncomfortably till maybe -30 or something. Down pants (if I owned them) might see me through further.

I am a bit of a cold sleeper, not alot of fat on me hence why I bring overkill gear in winter.

My summer list is a 0F (-18C) EE Quilt, my XTherm and the regular fleece kit out. It keeps me warm till about 0 and okayish till -5 (the drafts really don’t help).

Safe to say I’ll be okay in most Tassie weather unless its blowing a gale and raining horizontally in which case I’d be scared about my tent flying away into the abyss and all my down gear getting soaked.
phATty
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 2:55 pm

Maybe I'm the only one fantasizing and obsessed with being able to survive -55C, that said I'm glad I'm not in Buffalo NYS at the moment.

The Winterlite with a Mont Icicle over the top [ or inside if you bought the expander wedge] should easily see you to -30C with LW down pants, does your EE quilt fit over the Winterlite?
If so that's already a -20C+ system
I do think my own 3-layer set-up could do it but I'm no longer really interested in trying it out on Denali in winter.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 5:23 pm

I've done -20C with my current heaviest bag and a not-quite-as-warm mat. Similar temps with the current winter system, which is the WM HiLite, u-m quilt, XTherm and heaviest merinos.

-55 is in the "I really don't want to even think about it" range.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby peregrinator » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 5:41 pm

north-north-west wrote:I've done -20C with my current heaviest bag and a not-quite-as-warm mat. Similar temps with the current winter system, which is the WM HiLite, u-m quilt, XTherm and heaviest merinos.

If I was in Minus 55, I wouldn't be able to think about it, because I'd be dead.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 5:54 pm

peregrinator wrote:
north-north-west wrote:I've done -20C with my current heaviest bag and a not-quite-as-warm mat. Similar temps with the current winter system, which is the WM HiLite, u-m quilt, XTherm and heaviest merinos.

If I was in Minus 55, I wouldn't be able to think about it, because I'd be dead.

Yes, that's a big part of why I don't want to think about it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby phATty » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 7:52 pm

[quote="Moondog55”]does your EE quilt fit over the Winterlite?
If so that's already a -20C+ system
[/quote]

Yeah I reckon it would, it is an extra wide.
phATty
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club

Return to Equipment