Freestanding tent advice. Mont Moondance 1 vs Moondance 1 FN

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Freestanding tent advice. Mont Moondance 1 vs Moondance 1 FN

Postby Dexter » Fri 30 Dec, 2022 6:03 pm

I'm mostly just thinking out loud (or online) and after some feedback from those who have used a Moondance 1. From what I've seen the FN model (Full Nylon) does away with any mesh on the inner. I'm assuming this makes for a warmer tent?

I feel like I wouldn't get much benefit from that and might end up finding the tent too warm. I'm mostly out in the warmer months. Is the inner really the only change on the FN version? Is it more seceptable to condensation issues?

I'm potentially looking at a free standing tent for use on platforms. I currently have a Tarptent Stratospire Li and while I love it, I imagine it could be annoying to setup on platforms, and generally would like a freestanding option. Using the footprint on the Moondance also looks like you could potentially setup fly first for crappy weather which is appealing. What's not appealing though is the weight. Are there any other freestanding options under about 1.3kg, or should I just suck it up!?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Freestanding tent advice. Mont Moondance 1 vs Moondance

Postby philm » Sat 31 Dec, 2022 2:10 pm

Funny I have the Moondance 1 FN inner and yes it is all nylon. I bought it for cold / wet conditions such as those in Tasmania. If you are mainly using the Moondance in warmer weather get the mesh inner as the FN will be too hot. I am thinking of purchasing the Stratosphere Li so interested in your thinking about pitching it on platforms? Surely it should be fine to pitch on a platform - normally there are plenty of nails / cables? Alternatively I have used platform tent anchors and always take these when I am on platforms in case there is not enough points to fasten.

I love the Moondance and have had it in some wet / windy conditions in the Western Arthurs and it sailed through so its a great tent, but the weight of the stratosphere has some appeal for me.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Dexter » Sun 01 Jan, 2023 12:35 pm

The strat is a seriously light tent. The thought of going from around 800g to 1500g with the Moondance is a little tough.

You can definitely set them up on platforms, Ive seen it done. But I also know how tricky it can be to get the pitch right on ground. I'm often moving and adjusting pegs to get it right and I can see that being even more tricky on a platform. I have some of those fish hooks but I know the wooden slats vary in size as well... so just feel like I'd bring them along hoping to use them and end up not being able to.

If you end up going the Stratospire Li I'd encourage looking at the blem versions. Really no functional difference and a fair bit cheaper. It is a cool tent though. Ive found very little warmth is kept inside it. That's great for me but something to keep in mind for Tassie.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Wed 04 Jan, 2023 10:49 am

The big agnes Copper Spur is 1.08 kg and is a great little three season tent. It is a genuinely roomy 1 person and is simple to erect.

i sold mine as I was doing more and more snow camping and i also didn't like it for exposed off trail campsites but it is great for platforms and sheltered sites.

You mkight also consider the moondance without the inner. You lose the capacity to fend of mozzies and march flies but this might work depending on where you are setting up - you save a lot of weight just using the fly.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Wed 04 Jan, 2023 1:11 pm

I didn't mine the Moondance 1 for size. It's more of a 1.5p tent I'd say. I had a look at some options yesterday but they only had the 2p Copper Spur set up. I was a little underwhelmed by the floor material and how thin and flimsy it felt, but I guess that's what you get with a sil poly UL tent... compromise has to be somewhere.
I'm not sure I'd be happy in a standard 1p tent. I've got one in the cupboard I really should move on. I find them a little claustrophobic and just feel like it would be sad place to be if it's bucketing rain in the afternoon when you arrive at camp. A bit more room and a friend could come play cards or something.

I think I've decided to just figure out pitching the Stratospire on platforms. After seeing the Nemo's and Big Agnes' in person, it feels more of a significant step down from a dyneema tent than I'd have expected.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby founders » Sun 15 Jan, 2023 9:31 pm

I have a Moondance 1. Love the tent. It's fairly heavy for a 1 man 'lightweight' tent, but I think it's mostly worth it. It's handled some shocking wind and rain without trouble. The extra space opposite the door is amazing for easily stashing your gear when the weather is bad.

I wouldn't bother with the FN version unless you're expecting to be out in very cold weather. I've had the mesh version at around zero, and at that temperature I still prefer having doors open to reduce condensation. On my Dragonfly (which is also full nylon), I don't close the doors until its a few degrees below zero.
founders
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Chicken_Dinner » Tue 14 Feb, 2023 8:14 am

Own the Moondance 1 FN. It is my go to tent for sub zero conditions. If you go by the numbers, it looks heavy, however you get a lot for that weight in terms of warmth, durability, protection and condensation management (which I find to be excellent). In exciting sub zero conditions I haven't found anything lighter that can perform as well in those conditions (let me know if you know of anything). As a result I rate it as probably the best tent I own given I seem to only ever be out in harsh conditions. If it is not going to get down to sub zero, I grab a free standing 1kg tent. Pack weight goes from 11.5kgs to 11.9kgs when I add the Moondance 1 FN. Well worth the weight penalty in cold harsh conditions for a few days. As for size, you can fit all your gear in next to your sleeping pad to keep it dry. A bit squeezy but comfortable enough. There is also a bit of room under the vestibule as well. Also like the head room - can sit up in it. Packed size also good.
Chicken_Dinner
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment