Prep for winter Cheapskate advice

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Prep for winter Cheapskate advice

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 8:07 am

It never being too early to start preparing for white season I thought I'd mention something again and early.
Lately I have seen a lot of the older style ThermaRest small mats for sale and at bargain basement prices [ I paid $5- each at the Salvos last year] and with comfort mats getting thicker and thicker we are winding up with less room inside our tents.
My experience has been that in white season putting the insulation under the tent floor works better; so to that end if you are thinking about a winter trip perhaps you should be looking for cheap SI mats in the original 25mm thickness.
Three of the small mats laid across the tent will cover most bushwalking winter tents.
Naturally any insulation under the floor works, CCF works as well but is more bulky and also naturally thicker is better.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Prep for winter Cheapskate advice

Postby Aardvark » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 12:57 pm

Moondog55 wrote:My experience has been that in white season putting the insulation under the tent floor works better;

Of course insulation works by trapping air and your body heat warming that air.
Don't you think you should elaborate on the science of 'putting the mat UNDER the tent floor'.
I'm not buying it yet.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 12:59 pm

Conduction blocking
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 1:44 pm

Makes sense to me, having a layer under the tent then inside sleep on your preferred mat. Although I would guess ccf would still be a better insulator than the foam inside thin self inflating mats which is kind of just sponge.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 1:54 pm

It really depends on how hard you inflate the ThermaRest. In this case it's not for comfort so the harder the better.
The ideal would be 150mm of styrene foam but that's not feasible unless in Antarctica.
I've used almost everything from thin flooring underlay to cheap CCF pads from Clark Rubber and the SI mats are probably the best cheap option
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sat 14 Jan, 2023 2:29 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:My experience has been that in white season putting the insulation under the tent floor works better;

Of course insulation works by trapping air and your body heat warming that air.
Don't you think you should elaborate on the science of 'putting the mat UNDER the tent floor'.
I'm not buying it yet.

I put a CCF mat under the tent floor to protect the tent floor and my inflating mat .. from any spiky things I may have missed. Yes it also adds to the insulation, but under or over the tent floor would have little effect, unless water is flowing under the tent floor.

Insulation?
Convection - by circulating air/water .. any gas or fluid really. Any non permeable barrier will stop it.
Conduction - through a material ... the denser the material usually has better conduction. A vacuum works well at stopping it.
Radiation - think of the sun shining on you. A mirror will stop it ..

Good insulation stops all 3 of the above.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment