Favourite Winter Gloves

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Favourite Winter Gloves

Postby Stamina » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 9:44 am

Hi, I'm looking for opinions on great quality gloves to take for cold winter hiking.I liked what I've read about these ones https://enlightenedequipment.com/torrid ... _f2f47a0b1
What do you think?

I suffer from raynauds so have some trouble with my circulation.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn
Region: Victoria

Re: Favourite Winter Gloves

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 10:20 am

I have looked at those but I think you need to get fleece liners also, so size appropriately.
The flip top is tempting but I really don't need any more mittens or gloves. Better too warm than not warm enough and remember that the insulation on the palm does pack down with use.
Are you thinking the 4oz or the 6oz?
If you need in a hurry the 4oz is probably warm enough for here if wearing liners
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stamina » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 10:33 am

I'm travelling to the US in a few days and I have some good Macpac gloves. They aren't too bad but I had them on the south coast track last spring and when I got warm I took them off. As I pulled my hands out the liner for the little finger pulled out and I couldn't get them back on for a while.

I don't know. I liked the idea that you can open the fingers so you can do stuff. Look like they compact away well too.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 10:38 am

These seem quite reasonably priced compared to some others. I'm thinking I'll wait until I get over there and check out an REI store.

Do you have other suggestions you'd consider?
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 10:58 am

Well I really like the OR three finger/trigger finger gloves and the older style WindPro/WindStopper liners
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/gear ... ves-268055

But these are good warm mittens in their own right
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens ... tts-300378
Where are you headed? I have family and mates over there and I'd love to visit one more time
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stamina » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 11:06 am

I'm flying into San Diego for a few days before starting the PCT.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Biggles » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 4:04 pm

Many and varied styles and material available. Those with tactile tips so you can use your phone or GPS without removing the gloves are a good choice. My own gloves by The North Face are about 8, possibly 10 years old, with tactile index and middle fingers and soft fleecy inner, drawstring and toggle at wrist. I will need to find them before Easter as that is when the mornings start to get very nippy. Photographers, of which I am often a member of the fraternity, have flip up fleecy inners and mitt outers. Really practical for fiddling around with attaching cable releases, changing film or lenses and even grabbing zippers — next to impossible with mitts. So must pull them forward and flip them up. I think MacPac makes these, as does Berghaus.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icemancometh » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 10:45 pm

What are the requirements here? I have found cold weather work and fishing gloves work really well and they are my handwear of choice even for skiing/mountaineering. The dexterity is great for fiddling with gear etc but not sure if warm enough for Raynauds.
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment