Nemo Hornet V Moondance 2

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nemo Hornet V Moondance 2

Postby DM62 » Sun 26 Mar, 2023 1:43 pm

Tossing up between the Nemo Hornet 2 and the Mont Moondance 2.

I like the weight of the Nemo however the specs mention a waterhead of 1200mm for both floor and fly. Some reviewers have mentioned water seeping through the floor on very wet ground. The fly also seems to cut up high at one end which concerns me. Does anyone have experience with this tent in heavy rain?

Perhaps the better waterhead on the Mont is worth the extra weight to carry.
DM62
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Nemo Hornet V Moondance 2

Postby Eremophila » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 9:34 am

Can't answer your question but my Moondance 2 which is now 14 or 15 years old, I've never had to worry about the floor leaking.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby DM62 » Sat 01 Apr, 2023 12:05 pm

Thanks for feedback. Swaying towards the moondance although so much heavier than the Nemo.
DM62
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Biggles » Sat 01 Apr, 2023 12:33 pm

Never seen the Nemo (maybe I have, but cannot recall precisely), but I can give a 200% vote of confidence in the Moondance 2, either nylon mesh or full nylon.

The Moondance 2, being for 2 people + space, will look huge inside; for one person the Moondance 1 is really sufficient without having acres of space — much more space in fact since the 2009 first generation Moondance 1. I suggest you crawl inside both the 1 and 2 models to assess the amount of space on offer. Erection is under 1 minute, and the tent, being freestanding, can be lifted up and repositioned easily. Only caveat is that any of the Moondance tents must have securely pegged down (all floor points and guys) in windy weather. The can and do lift up and take flight, even with gear inside!

I would not be too concerned with weight with what these are, lightweight tents. People are still carting around first-gen MacPac Olympus tents and a coterie of pegs and guys etc!

My first-gen Moondance 1 was pensioned off in November 2017 with tattered tub-floor seam seals, a few pinholes in the floor (from camping in reeds, with tiger snakes for company...) and a stain on the outer fly where I tripped up with my steak in the frying pan and splattered it with goo.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DM62 » Sat 01 Apr, 2023 1:04 pm

Thanks for the reply Biggles. I can't say I have come across a negative review of the Moondance. It appears to be a very good performer in all conditions. I'm swaying towards this tent.

In saying that the Nemo also has good reviews bar some commenting about water seeping through the thin floor where it has pressure on it ie: kneeling for a period in one spot.
DM62
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Biggles » Sat 01 Apr, 2023 1:18 pm

Was about to head out for groceries when I was pinged of your reply!
Some additional points come to mind
The Mont tents have, at first touch, a very flimsy feel to the fabric. It was very disconcerting and not at all reassuring on the shop floor. Be it noted the fabric and proprietary variations thereof, is a a very common choice of material for anything from stuff sacs and tent bags. That said, the material has not proven flimsy in actual use, nor has the floor, which is of a noticeably denser material. I use my Moondance with a matched footprint for additional protection; it doesn't weigh a lot.

I am not au fait with the mechanics and whatnot of water seeping through a floor that, I presume, is water resistant from the get-go (at the factory). Puncturing the floor is going to compromise it, certainly, but not if it is straight out of the bag. I certainly have not experienced such a problem with the Moondance, except when pinholes occurred and that was the revelation that water could very easily get in, especially camping on boggy ground. As I have noted above, can I suggest if you go the Mont way, you also carry the footprint with you for additional protection.

Now, I must go get my ba-na-na-nas...
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment