One for the gear freaks...Tritium

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

One for the gear freaks...Tritium

Postby Joe » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 3:49 pm

W, you may be asking yourself, TF is tritium. Its a radioactive isotope similar to Radium. Except that it glows continuously for around 10 years regardless of its environment. So its not reliant on ambient light like Radium. Its one of those things that Ive known about for ages and thought was cool but had no use for. Until today I stumbled on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tritium-Zip-pull ... dZViewItem

Which look to me to be a cracker of a buy for under $15.

Perfect for zippers, torch handles etc. even hang of the iPood!
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Re: One for the gear freaks...Tritium

Postby tasadam » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 4:57 pm

Cool!
Parks can buy a shiPload and line the overland track with them... And advertise 24 hour walking... Extra revenue there!
Why walk in the heat of the day when you can follow the trail at night... The huts will have room when you get there and you will be able to travel further, not being interrupted by all those boring views.

Clearly, I need a drink.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby corvus » Mon 11 Feb, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey!! twf why no PM to me re this gearious thingi, btw is it safe if I use it will I still be fertile and please think of a reason for me to buy one or five :D
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Cheesypigs » Tue 12 Feb, 2008 6:58 am

Corvus, the light stick hanging off my bag I made myself with exopy resin and glow in the darK powder. It's been 16 months and it still glows all night. Cheaper than tritium and no radioactivity.
Cheesypigs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Tue 12 Feb, 2008 8:03 am

Cheesypigs wrote:Corvus, the light stick hanging off my bag I made myself with exopy resin and glow in the darK powder. It's been 16 months and it still glows all night. Cheaper than tritium and no radioactivity.

Interesting!
Where do you get "glow in the dark powder"??
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Cheesypigs » Tue 12 Feb, 2008 8:46 am

I got mine off ebay.

Once you have it you need a length of clear plastic tubing, I use aquarium filter tubing, clear araldite, and fishing tackle swivels like these
Image.

Cut the tubing into 2 inch lengths and push a swivel into the end.

Then mix up the arldite and stir in GID powder until it won't take anymore. Then get it into the tube. I made 6 in one go and used a syringe to get the stuff into the tubing.

When the araldite/ powder solution goes off it sticks the swivel to the tubing. The swivel provides a ring to attach to a split ring. I have one on my bag and another on my keyring.

Sit these in the sun for half an hour and they will glow brightly all night. You can read by them if you hold the stick on the page, when camping I have had to throw a shirt over the stick to block the glow.
Cheesypigs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joe » Tue 12 Feb, 2008 9:32 am

tritium is totally safe, and saves you having sticky glow in the dark fingers for a week ;)

however i love the DIY approach. very cool idea. would make nice cache swaps too i imagine.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Cheesypigs » Tue 12 Feb, 2008 4:59 pm

yes there are a few of them out there
Cheesypigs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment