Recommendations for boots and gaiters

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Recommendations for boots and gaiters

Postby Lostsoul » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 12:47 pm

Looking for feedback on what people think are the best walking boots and gaiters?
I’m talking more lightweight goretex/material types of boots,not heavy leather boots.
I currently have in my arsenal Scarpa Kailesh boots,Scarpa SL Active(brilliant,but heavy so only use in winter mud/snow)boots,One Planet gaiters,Sea To Summit gaiters,Kathmandu gaiters.
I do a lot of off track walking in Tassie and I can’t seem to get anymore than 12 months out of a pair of boots and even less out of gaiters.
All seem to have design flaws and just can’t stand up to any hardcore scrub bashing and off track walking.
Am I better to go cheaper,knowing they will wear out quick anyway?Sick of spending $400 on boots and $100+ on gaiters every year….Help!
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Recommendations for boots and gaiters

Postby TentPeg » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 6:28 pm

A lot of off track walking anywhere in Tassie and two sets of Goretex gaiters is reasonable in a year. If you want better then go canvas and sweat.
Two years out of a pair of Scarpa XLs is same same. Buy lightweight mesh style boots and they fail the test every time.
The "best" question is like the many tent and sleep system questions. The answer is "it depends".
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Biggles » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 7:38 pm

The boots you are referring to, not being of the proofed all-leather variety but the GoreText/Material, will simply not stand up to repeated rigours of off-track walking and scrub-bashing, hard-core or soft-core! That's what the pricey ($400 to $700) all-leather proofed boots are for, never mind the assumed importance of something being made of GoreTex and being "waterproof" (in m,y experience, they are not). My problem with those GoreTex/Material boots (HiTech) was chiefly discomfort first (poor fit despite correct front to back foot size), poor durability second (last separated from the front, and once that happens moisture gets in and finishes it off). I got about 6 to8 months use out of a new pair (HiTech) walking locally here in Victoria, then Ireland and New Zealand. The material soaked water like a bath sponge, certainly did not keep anything dry. I invested in Scarpa boots and the rest of the story is pretty much history (I still have those boots after 6 years, with nowt but new laces after my cat took a fancy to them!!).

$100 (I have seen gaithers for $300 in Melbourne!) for GoreTex gaiters similarly is another trap where they will be gleefully shreaded in Tassie's wilds, also some very wild, dense rainforest in the Otways here in Victoria. Inevitably, these flash-and-panache gaiters are big on name and promise, but thin on durability and of questionable ability withstand thickets of blackberries especially, to mud then submerged walking in their stride (which invites leeches). There are standouts: Sea to Summit Quagmire gaiters are mighty tough; they are a PITA to put on (dig my vast vocab of swearing... :lol: ) and take off because they fit so well; the Velcro closure up the shin is among the most aggressive of any gathers. I take my time putting them on, securing the hook to the boots and ensuring there is a tight fit all around the boot. They Quagmires certainly did not cost $100 in the day (7 or 8 years ago).

I think you'd be better sticking with the material type and settling with the fact that you'll replace them in around 2 years, especially since you seem to not fancy the traditional all-leather boot which I think would last longer. Gaiters...well, I know what's best and reliable for me, for you... what in your arsenal works and what has not worked? Weed out the patent failures from the obvious successes. What is 'best' for one person's use is not necessarily going to be best, sensible or cost-effective for the next person.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 11:13 pm

Biggles wrote:There are standouts: Sea to Summit Quagmire gaiters are mighty tough; they are a PITA to put on (dig my vast vocab of swearing... ) and take off because they fit so well; the Velcro closure up the shin is among the most aggressive of any gathers. I take my time putting them on, securing the hook to the boots and ensuring there is a tight fit all around the boot

This ^^^ and they're waterproof.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lostsoul » Mon 29 Jan, 2024 5:27 am

crollsurf wrote:
Biggles wrote:There are standouts: Sea to Summit Quagmire gaiters are mighty tough; they are a PITA to put on (dig my vast vocab of swearing... ) and take off because they fit so well; the Velcro closure up the shin is among the most aggressive of any gathers. I take my time putting them on, securing the hook to the boots and ensuring there is a tight fit all around the boot

This ^^^ and they're waterproof.

I have those and lasted 6 months,best gaiters I have are the one planet ones but even those have flaws.Every pair I’ve had tear open at the Velcro up the front and eventually rip,be nice if they made them to do up from the back where they won’t see any action.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lostsoul » Mon 29 Jan, 2024 9:37 am

Biggles wrote:The boots you are referring to, not being of the proofed all-leather variety but the GoreText/Material, will simply not stand up to repeated rigours of off-track walking and scrub-bashing, hard-core or soft-core! That's what the pricey ($400 to $700) all-leather proofed boots are for, never mind the assumed importance of something being made of GoreTex and being "waterproof" (in m,y experience, they are not). My problem with those GoreTex/Material boots (HiTech) was chiefly discomfort first (poor fit despite correct front to back foot size), poor durability second (last separated from the front, and once that happens moisture gets in and finishes it off). I got about 6 to8 months use out of a new pair (HiTech) walking locally here in Victoria, then Ireland and New Zealand. The material soaked water like a bath sponge, certainly did not keep anything dry. I invested in Scarpa boots and the rest of the story is pretty much history (I still have those boots after 6 years, with nowt but new laces after my cat took a fancy to them!!).

$100 (I have seen gaithers for $300 in Melbourne!) for GoreTex gaiters similarly is another trap where they will be gleefully shreaded in Tassie's wilds, also some very wild, dense rainforest in the Otways here in Victoria. Inevitably, these flash-and-panache gaiters are big on name and promise, but thin on durability and of questionable ability withstand thickets of blackberries especially, to mud then submerged walking in their stride (which invites leeches). There are standouts: Sea to Summit Quagmire gaiters are mighty tough; they are a PITA to put on (dig my vast vocab of swearing... :lol: ) and take off because they fit so well; the Velcro closure up the shin is among the most aggressive of any gathers. I take my time putting them on, securing the hook to the boots and ensuring there is a tight fit all around the boot. They Quagmires certainly did not cost $100 in the day (7 or 8 years ago).

I think you'd be better sticking with the material type and settling with the fact that you'll replace them in around 2 years, especially since you seem to not fancy the traditional all-leather boot which I think would last longer. Gaiters...well, I know what's best and reliable for me, for you... what in your arsenal works and what has not worked? Weed out the patent failures from the obvious successes. What is 'best' for one person's use is not necessarily going to be best, sensible or cost-effective for the next person.

As I mentioned I have Scarpa Sl Active boots which are leather and stand up well and are waterproof,just on the heavy side for extended multi day walks.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby teak » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 1:23 pm

I used to use Sea to Summit quagmire gaiters but did not like the short lived under boot straps and easily mangled aluminium side buckles. About 18 months ago I purchased a set of Sea to Summit overland gaiters, these are lighter than the quagmires and use a nylon cord under the boot. I replaced the cord with 2mm dyneema which is much longer lasting. So far the only repairs have been to replace the fabric loops holding the under boot cords at about 11 months, replace the dyneema cords every 6 months and repair a small hole in the lower section today. The overlands are about $30 cheaper than the quagmires.
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri 02 Feb, 2024 2:42 pm

I'm surprised by this. Admittedly I haven't done much off-track walking in Tassie, but I've done a bit. I'm in lightweight non-waterproof boots (Topo Athletic Trailventures - the tread started coming off but that's a manufacturing issue, it glued back on fine), and S2S Overland gaiters with a shoelace under the boot that I've replaced once. I've worn these for a few years now and they still have plenty of life in them. I reckon I'd have to try really really hard to wear them all out in a year. But yeah, I'm not like doing multi-day walks a 3+ times a year. I mostly do overnighters.
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 2:42 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I'm surprised by this. Admittedly I haven't done much off-track walking in Tassie, but I've done a bit. I'm in lightweight non-waterproof boots (Topo Athletic Trailventures - the tread started coming off but that's a manufacturing issue, it glued back on fine), and S2S Overland gaiters with a shoelace under the boot that I've replaced once. I've worn these for a few years now and they still have plenty of life in them. I reckon I'd have to try really really hard to wear them all out in a year. But yeah, I'm not like doing multi-day walks a 3+ times a year. I mostly do overnighters.

I walk almost every weekend and a fair share of that would be overnight
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lostsoul » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 2:44 pm

teak wrote:I used to use Sea to Summit quagmire gaiters but did not like the short lived under boot straps and easily mangled aluminium side buckles. About 18 months ago I purchased a set of Sea to Summit overland gaiters, these are lighter than the quagmires and use a nylon cord under the boot. I replaced the cord with 2mm dyneema which is much longer lasting. So far the only repairs have been to replace the fabric loops holding the under boot cords at about 11 months, replace the dyneema cords every 6 months and repair a small hole in the lower section today. The overlands are about $30 cheaper than the quagmires.

Yeah I had trouble with those side buckles always bending too
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Sat 03 Feb, 2024 4:14 pm

The Sea to Summit Quagmire gaiters, among others with fabric or string under-sole securing, can have wire-rope and ring substitutes fitted. You will not be able to break or wear these out no matter how hard you try. The loops come in S, M or L sizes. I have a pair of these (also possible to make your own wire rope loops form Bunnings) but not for use with gaiters, as there is nothing wrong with the OEM straps on my Quagmires; I repurpose things like that with photographic equipment (in this case, a hanging loop for tripod snow/sand/grate shoes on the pack).
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 05 Feb, 2024 6:02 pm

Sea to Summit gaiters are a reasonable design but the materials and workmanship are second-rate at best. The best of the bigger name manufacturers' gaiters are, in my opinion, One Planet. The best gaiters overall are TasGear, if you can still get them.

WestcoastPete wrote:I'm surprised by this. Admittedly I haven't done much off-track walking in Tassie, but I've done a bit.

Off-track shreds fabric. Footwear, gaiters, clothing, packs, all of it. Especially in Tassie.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed 07 Feb, 2024 1:40 pm

Yeah I understand this. Like I said, my experience is limited, but I still don't think I could wear my gear out that quickly without trying really hard. It's been the same with bikes for me. Others would wear stuff out quickly but things would last ages on mine. I guess I'm sort of saying that maybe people wear through things at different rates, and if some can make things last longer it might be worth looking at why.
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 07 Feb, 2024 6:50 pm

Lostsoul is an extreme use case. No one in their right mind could justify investing the time and effort to offer such products. The car industry does, but imagine how many $3,000 gaiters you're going to sell.

If anyone wants to buy a pair of $3,000 gaiters, PM me.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Biggles » Thu 08 Feb, 2024 9:55 am

crollsurf wrote:Lostsoul is an extreme use case. No one in their right mind could justify investing the time and effort to offer such products. The car industry does, but imagine how many $3,000 gaiters you're going to sell.

This ^^^^
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 08 Feb, 2024 9:56 am

crollsurf wrote:Lostsoul is an extreme use case. No one in their right mind could justify investing the time and effort to offer such products. The car industry does, but imagine how many $3,000 gaiters you're going to sell.

This ^^^^
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby farefam » Thu 08 Feb, 2024 4:11 pm

I do a bit of bushbashing. I wear Merrell MOAB 2 MID GTX boots as I have a fairly wide foot and use Sea to Summit gaiters. Gaiters last a long time. Will get about 2 long summers worth of walking out of the boots. I always put some gel insoles in to improve the comfort. Much lighter and more comfortable than the old style all leather boots, and they also dry much quicker. Always check for signs of sole delamination before starting a long, hard walk. If in doubt, use brand new boots if failure is not an option.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lostsoul » Fri 09 Feb, 2024 1:14 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Yeah I understand this. Like I said, my experience is limited, but I still don't think I could wear my gear out that quickly without trying really hard. It's been the same with bikes for me. Others would wear stuff out quickly but things would last ages on mine. I guess I'm sort of saying that maybe people wear through things at different rates, and if some can make things last longer it might be worth looking at why.

You probably don’t do as much or less off track walking as I do.I guarantee I don’t purposely go out there trying to wreck gear and I look after what I’ve got.For instance I’ve got a One Planet Goondie 2 tent that I’ve spent over 200 nights in and it’s still like new.
Lostsoul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Camminata » Mon 11 Mar, 2024 7:43 am

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... 4-gore-tex

These might be an option for you..Recently brought a pair of these was after something light more flexible like a trail runner but waterproof, have ditched wearing heavy full leather boots
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Moh » Mon 11 Mar, 2024 9:47 pm

These seem to be a similar offering to one planet’s RFG gaiters. Claim to have an ingenious front lace hook. https://cactusoutdoor.co.nz/collections ... tigaiter-1
Moh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby johnrs » Tue 12 Mar, 2024 8:14 am

And another vote for Tasgear gaiters and for something different, Redback Alpines in light leather laceups, relatively inexpensive and fine to replace semiannually.
Their sole is PU (rather than rubber) and is little less grippy but they wear well for the money and don't sweat like the synthetics.
John
johnrs

Postby phs » Mon 01 Apr, 2024 9:51 am

OR gortex gaiters have been flawless for many years mainly used in dense tassi scrub

The scarpa delta gortex boots not 100% sure about yet, First set were waterproof but after serval trips started to get wet

On second set now, the rubber sole us wearing fast only a few outings ( just broken in ) and parts of the rubber are half worn
phs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment