A clothing history query Index finger gloves

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

A clothing history query Index finger gloves

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 30 May, 2024 9:56 am

Calling them index finger gloves may offend fewer people than calling them trigger finger gloves
When I was in the UK decades ago there were many Airforce "Mountain Rescue overgloves" sold as surplus and that was where I first saw them but I never saw a dedicated trigger finger glove until I became familiar with the American woollen M-65 liners

The collective wisdom of the forum may be able to help me before I head off to Professor Google.
Where and when did the index finger/ trigger finger glove [ or mitten if you prefer] originate?
My quick searching would indicate Labrador but that was a really quick look around the internet.
Were they common before WW1 or even WW2?
I've seen may trigger finger shell mitts from WW2 but the British/Commonwealth ones seem to have been made and used to go with normal type woollen gloves not ones with a separate integrated index finger
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment