Rab VR Summit jacket - unable to tighten neck

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Rab VR Summit jacket - unable to tighten neck

Postby gbagua » Mon 10 Jun, 2024 9:47 am

I just realised yesterday that the neck area unless you wear a helmet is a bit flimsy as it lets pass cold air trough the neck area especially if it's windy.

Purchased the jacket a month ago but only had the chance to test in in cold and windy conditions yesterday.

When I bought it I didn't realise the neck area only comes with a pull string system that is very basic without having anything that can tighten it up making sure the neck area is nice and tight preventing any cold air to hit the neck.

Photo:

Any ideas how to keep the pull cords tight?
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Rab VR Summit jacket - unable to tighten neck

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 10 Jun, 2024 10:17 am

Cord locks?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Biggles » Mon 10 Jun, 2024 1:12 pm

Some manufacturers call this arrangement a neck muff or neck snug. When moving along, you need to ensure there is some air flow, particularly as what this looks to be heavy duty material insulation that would get quite hot and sweaty under exertion. As above the suggestion for cord locks, as is fitted to many other garments.
Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Mon 10 Jun, 2024 2:11 pm

I see. It makes sense but I didn't test it under full exertion. If I decide to attach a "cord lock" how to do do that since both ends have beads on them.

Thanks for suggesting that anyway.
gbagua

Postby Biggles » Mon 10 Jun, 2024 4:05 pm

The cord grips on the end can also be purchased. Try Bogong and/or OnePlanet for these. They can be cut open, or the cord cut near the base of the grip where the cord enters. Heat the end of the cord with a match to prevent it it from unravelling.
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gbagua » Wed 12 Jun, 2024 9:46 am

For the record and to assist further queries that may arise in the future, this jacket has actually two hidden cord locks which are inside the fabric and near the grommets. It's a very well hidden feature. Still an odd design abs not intuitive at all.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
gbagua

Postby Biggles » Wed 12 Jun, 2024 4:52 pm

gbagua wrote:For the record and to assist further queries that may arise in the future, this jacket has actually two hidden cord locks which are inside the fabric and near the grommets. It's a very well hidden feature. Still an odd design abs not intuitive at all.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Excellent!
Funny coincidence that I got my seldom used North Face Ranger jacket out this morning, went to tighten the neck against the biting cold wind and found exactly the same arrangement: grommets on the end to pull taut (as per the RAB) and internal cord toggles to lock, adjusted from under a flap on the inside collar!

I should wear that jacket more often; never know, might be something else I haven't discovered about it! :lol:
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment